PDA

View Full Version : What a JOKE! 09/12/09

KILLA
09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I've been watching the fish reports for the past 2 weeks seeing some good #'s. So I planned a trip out of NPL and spent $69.00 for a 3/4 day to get in on the action. We reached the mouth of the harbor at 7:50 and headed for the bait boat. Stocked up on a few scoops of dines and headed for Catalina. We reached Catalina around 11am. Started out on the back side of the island and was told to try out small squid strips for some of the smaller guys. I was a little shocked on how we where starting off the day. We sat in the same spot catching fingerlings for a hour and half with 4 seals making off with most of the bait before we switched spots. Again stopping for some smaller fish. Long story short if you want to spend all day catching blue perch and 3 inch cali's I will hook you up. LMAO

To top it off the crew wasn't very helpful since we kept them from sleeping the whole time. God forbid you put in some effort on getting your customers on some action. I have been out of this landing before with no problems, along with other sportfishing landings. By far the worst trip I've ever been on. Good thing I was out with the guys, and they had some cold beer for us to drink.

Don't get me wrong we did catch fish, they just didn't make any effort in locating some of the better action there was to offer.

Tight lines fella's

Killa

victor101
09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Damn...sorry about the bad day man... 11am is a pretty late start and thats a lot of money to pay for such a short trip. The Tide Change out of LBSF is 5am to 5pm and is a couple bucks cheaper. At least you were able to catch a buzz...

JapanRon
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi KILLA,

Sleeping to boot ! Thumbs down on that trip. Catching or not !

JapanRon

hbomb
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Sorry about that killa. :Neutral:

sansou
09-15-2009, 09:07 PM
How you gonna be a "killa" when they don't take you where the fish are at? :LOL:

Sorry to hear about the iffy 3/4 dayer.

olfishergal
09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
sounds like the same pos trip I had on saturday........boat was nice, crew was crappy, huge dines no chovies, lil bittie fish. lots of seals on the back side. Interestingly it was out of 22nd st. don't want to flame the boat, capt was nice enough and addrerssed his crew when a few of us told him about the crap service. Anyway, it was good to be on the water. Good luck next time, I will be on the Tide Change next time out.....OFG

LBC
09-16-2009, 07:46 AM
I guess we've all been on one of those trips get em next time

murrieta angler
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
That's really to bad to hear about the crew and fishing conditions. But thanks for the 411 so I never jump on that boat.

makersmark
09-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Ya the crew wasn't the greatest, one of them looked like he was hung over pretty bad, he passed out upstairs with his cheek against the window.It was a good time getting out on the water non the less. Were going out of SD next time for sure.

hoosierfisher
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
That really stinks... Yeah, I've been on boats where deckhands were the enemy, not seals. Here are the list of things that could go wrong with deckhands..

1) Deckhand Sleeping on the job
2) Deckhand vocally criticizes ur fishing technics or ur gears, rather than coaching you.
3) Deckhand having a smart mouth when you ask a simple question
4) Deckhand curses like a navy sailors where you are embarassed to bring your kids
5) Deckhand fishing along side of you and catches more fishes than you and he keeps them for friends' sushi bars
6) Drunk Deckhands
7) Deckhand half your age treating you like his half age
8) Deckhand complaining about the captain right in front of you.
9) Deckhand saying, we need to get back to dock when catching finally gets good and Finally
10) Deckhand who grabs your rod to untangle and drops your rod and reel and he somehow tells a story that its customers' fault.

We've all been there before. However, there are some good ones also...

fishon714
09-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Ya the crew wasn't the greatest, one of them looked like he was hung over pretty bad, he passed out upstairs with his cheek against the window.It was a good time getting out on the water non the less. Were going out of SD next time for sure.

The chances of getting stuck with a bad crew in SD is much less than OC/LA area. The crews in SD are awesome. Especially the overnight/medium range boats. They (the deckhands) aren't even allowed to fish, no matter how WFO the bite is. It was amazing to witness deckhands not fishing during a WFO tuna bite, but rather helping the customers. Although I noticed only the co-captain and cook are allowed to fish, but they normally don't during a WFO bite. On the other hand, on "SOME" of the local boats here, you can have a WFO sculpin bite...................... I'll just leave this to your imagination.

In defense of deckhands, they aren't paid much and have to put up with a bunch of bs from customers sometimes. I actuually said this to a boat in SD once (the Prowler, the icon boat out of Fisherman's Landing) and both the co-captain and cook overheard me and said, "then they can get the f$*k outta here because there are plenty of people waiting in line to work the SD landings".

I don't know how much truth there is to their comments, but they seemed pretty aged former deckhands. Combined experience was over 25 years for them.

HelloBendo420
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
check out the malihini for a 3/4 day trip. the crew is insane. they were serious about getting us on some feesh

Ray Lopez
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
sorry about the crappy trip.

i'm pretty picky about the boats i go out on. Typically i go where i myself know the crew or my hommie aka REZ knows the crew.

i have no been let down. Typically if you get to know a crew they are gonna treat you right. Also be nice to your deckhands and they will treat you right.

some of the best treatment i have recieved was out of Ventura on both the speedtwin and the mirage. Love these boats and love the crews.

Even if the fishing is not up to par they still try there best to put you on some fish.

Both times i have gone out of SD landings i have had crap crews. The tuna trip i took i was the one yelling out for people to move to the right because the deckhands and the cook were too busy standing in one spot the whole time not doing a damn thing. They did help the dead heads tho at least 5 on a limited load 49 people even tho there was 54 on the sign in sheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen that north of LA the crews and the boats and the fisherman seem to be very helpful and treat me right!

You win some and you loose some but when you find a good boat and crew you are golden!

Seems to me the best crews

LA Smoker
09-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe it's the islands fault...

Troutman65
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
That really stinks... Yeah, I've been on boats where deckhands were the enemy, not seals. Here are the list of things that could go wrong with deckhands..

1) Deckhand Sleeping on the job
2) Deckhand vocally criticizes ur fishing technics or ur gears, rather than coaching you.
3) Deckhand having a smart mouth when you ask a simple question
4) Deckhand curses like a navy sailors where you are embarassed to bring your kids
5) Deckhand fishing along side of you and catches more fishes than you and he keeps them for friends' sushi bars
6) Drunk Deckhands
7) Deckhand half your age treating you like his half age
8) Deckhand complaining about the captain right in front of you.
9) Deckhand saying, we need to get back to dock when catching finally gets good and Finally
10) Deckhand who grabs your rod to untangle and drops your rod and reel and he somehow tells a story that its customers' fault.

We've all been there before. However, there are some good ones also...

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/motopuaina/comment-friday-damn-1.jpg

jeff4321
09-25-2009, 11:33 AM
the funny thing is i've heard this exact same story... the crew judging on how experienced the anglers look decide on where and how to fish. They think that people would rather pay for quantity rather than quality, which in most cases (if you dont fish) is true. if its wfo fishing of course people who dont fish normally or first timers will be having a blast because they dont know what COULD be happening. so, no offense, you and/or the people you were fishing with probably looked like beginners.

bchbum54
09-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Next time you plan on going out of Newport, try Newport Landing. IMO its the better landing. i dont know why Davey's boats seem to be more crowded and the crew isnt as good. Newport Landing, less crowd, better crew, and the captains try reall hard to get you on fish. Sorry to hear about your bad experince but they always come from Davey's Locker

fishtales
09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Next time you plan on going out of Newport, try Newport Landing. IMO its the better landing. i dont know why Davey's boats seem to be more crowded and the crew isnt as good. Newport Landing, less crowd, better crew, and the captains try reall hard to get you on fish. Sorry to hear about your bad experince but they always come from Davey's Locker

I think he meant Newport Landing (NPL).

KILLA
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
the funny thing is i've heard this exact same story... the crew judging on how experienced the anglers look decide on where and how to fish. They think that people would rather pay for quantity rather than quality, which in most cases (if you dont fish) is true. if its wfo fishing of course people who dont fish normally or first timers will be having a blast because they dont know what COULD be happening. so, no offense, you and/or the people you were fishing with probably looked like beginners.

Funny you should say that. I was a little weiry, that something like that would happen. Look like beginners? T-shirt, sunglasses, and shorts = lets go perch fishing. Maybe next time I will bring my star wars rod and they get me on the hot bite...lmao

KILLA
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM

It was Newport Landing, and the crew suck'd. Like I said I have been out of both landings with a decent day. But the crew, location, and effort hints the thread topic WHAT A JOKE.