PDA

View Full Version : Overnight on the Relentle$$ 9/11-12/09

NY4Reels!
09-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Tom and I went to San Diego and jumped aboard the Relentless. We got there early and were waiting for the crew to show up. When they did and said that they were going to gas and bait up. We asked them If we could leave our gear aboard and get something to eat. They were very accommodating. We got to pick the best bunks on board, but when we did we found out they lost their air conditioning. It was like a sauna in the birthing.

They decided up blow fresh air from above into the birthing to help alleviate the stuffiness. Needless to say it didn’t help much, but we just wanted to go fishing!

We left the dock around 10:30PM with 18 people. It was advertised for 16, so I don’t know what the issue was. Nobody really complained about this or the lack of AC cause the fishing turned out to be very good!

We headed 85 miles south west of SD. This was more like day and a half range, not like the 45 to 50 mile trips that I was used to being on overnight. The long trip paid off well. We didn’t even know how far we were until the next day when we woke up.

The day started out with breakfast burritos and trolling. We didn’t have a single jig strike all day long. All our fish came off paddies. If you count reeling in a troll rod while pulling up to a paddy and catching a baby Dorado a troll fish, so be it. We also had a blind jig strike for a skipjack.

Our first paddy produced a load of baby Dorado from trout size up to 4#’s. I farmed the first 4 fish that hit my bait and I couldn’t understand why until I looked around and saw how small these fish were. I let them run with the bait and then pull it out of their mouths. I finally boated one after letting him fun with it forever and then setting the hook. I also shook off a trout sized one at the boat. That sucker needed to grow up a bit!

After trolling around we found our second paddy and all hell broke loose! As soon as our baits hit the water it was inhaled by football sized YFT from 5 to 15#’s and a few dodos. I let a bait out in the water 4’ away from the boat and he started to swim back. I put the bail in gear so I could rewind and recast, but a YF hit it and hooked himself. I didn’t even have to reel him in. It was stupid WO.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/OffshoreSD091209/IMG00033-20090912-13131Medium.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/OffshoreSD091209/yftgroup.jpg

This went on at this paddy for who knows how long. I managed 7 YFT and 2 Dodo’s off this paddy. I gave the smaller ones away to the fishless or fish challenged individuals. The whole boat did well except for a few children and a few seasick people, but everyone went home with fish!

We trolled our way back north, and this is when we had a blind jig strike for a skippie. We also had about a dozen skippies on sardines.

Back on the troll we found our last paddy of the day around 1PM. It held a handful of nicer grade Dorado. We pulled about 7 off this paddy. I was fortunate to hook up, but I was able to see another cluster #@&$ about to develop. I let my fish just run with the bait until I saw a clear path up to the bow and finally set the hook and worked my way up the rail.

At deep color I could see a big neon blue bull dorado, but some how some one wrapped their line around mine. I was like it was all over until this guy realized what was happening and worked with me until we thought it was the right time to cut his line.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/OffshoreSD091209/dorado1.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/OffshoreSD091209/dorado2.jpg\

I managed to pull it off with a little cooperation. It took awhile to get this sucker in. It probably weighed in between 15 and 20#’s and was good enough to win a $150 jack pot! Yes!!!

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/Glenncasale/OffshoreSD091209/scaleshot.jpg

All fish were caught using 1/0 & 2/0 circle hooks and 25# & 30# floro/mono. All bit on sardines.

Tom managed his limit of YF and dorado. He also caught a skippie. The rest of the boat managed limits with a little help. All in all it was one of my better tuna trips and I would recommend fishing on the Relentless, that is as soon as they fix their AC!

Jackpot Jimmy
09-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Way to go Glenn! Good job on the nice bull and a JP!

hbomb
09-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Nice job on the dodo, great pics. :Cool:

madbass
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Nice catch and congrats on the haul and jackpot!!! gotta love the way dodos fight!

MB

JapanRon
09-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi NY4Reels,

WTG ..... another great trip !!

JapanRon

murrieta angler
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Well done getting those tuna and dodo. Enjoyed the pics..:Smile:

BigBass777
09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Way to go Glenn!! Nice dorado too!! Don't know anyone or any single person who has won more jp's than you in the last year. The trips seem like they've been paid for already.

LBC
09-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Nice report and pictures. Went out last weekend myself and had same problem on the bunking situation the fans broke :Angry: on the last trip thought I was going to have a heat stroke.

russ88
09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Congrats on the nice JP Dorado! Glad you guys found the magic paddy.

victor101
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
AWESOME! thanks for the great report and Pics!

pokerface12
09-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the report and congrats on catching the jackpot fish.