PDA

View Full Version : Virg's Sportfishing Morro Bay info

Redkorn
09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Since we dont really want to deal with 22nd street landing and all the drama that goes with it..( not the capt.) We just might head up north to Morro bay. My buddy is the one who told be about but he has not been there in sometime and is just getting back into fishing......

So my question are:

What rigs and setups will I need or should use?

What will I be catching up there this time of year?

What should we pack for the weather up there?

Do we need more stamps for that area?

Regs?

How is virg's landing?

Lipripper93561
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Make sure you check out the weather reports, there has been some decent swell pushing through that are lately. Virg's is good, as well as Central Coast sportfishing. I had a friend head out last week on Virg's Sunday long trip, they did 3 hours up the coast slamming hard the whole way up just to turn around and head back home because the swell was too big. For gear bring as least one rig for dropper loops, 30-60lb test, you'll be fishing down to 300' and another for Irons, large heavy irons (white has been working for me) in the range of 9oz to 20oz depending on current and depth. They are also getting some Halibut just north of the Rock up to 40 pounds drifting dines or chovies in 40 to 70' of water. Central Coast sportfishing is a woman capt and 1st mate, I thought BS the first time I went out, but she got us on the fish, popped bladders on undersize fish, like it was going out of style, and even flipped the boat around when my hat flew off ( lucky fishing hat) without any hesitation or asking. Prepare for wet weather, I always bring bibs and deck boots, and a good waterproof jacket. Good luck on those big lings.

J. Owen
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM
um to tell you the truth man the central coast are has been so over fished on the rock cod boat the size and quality of fish sucks
but
try big hamer swimbaits
and go on the long range boat thats the only chance you will have to get the goods trust me i dont even go anymore its that bad

J. Owen
09-14-2009, 01:43 PM
i would really rather you go to chanel island sportfishing santa barbara,ca
it just better quality man really virgs isnt worth the trip

rusty6
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
fishing conditions are pretty good right now. yes there is a large swell but it is a long period swell so it shouldnt be too bad. its the wind/wind swell one has to worry about. they had a really good bite yesterday and have been getting limits of rockcod fairly consistantly. as long as it isnt too windy you can easily get away with 8-12 oz of weight. if you are more into shallow water rockfishing, check out patriot sportfishing in avila. its quite a bit cheaper than virgs but i feel the fishing is better out of virgs.

rusty6
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
dunno about you j owen but everytime ive gone out of virgs ive come back with a limit or almost limit of quality rockfish. but channel islands sportfishing is always a good bet for good rockfish

Redkorn
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
i would really rather you go to chanel island sportfishing santa barbara,ca
it just better quality man really virgs isnt worth the trip

I know and love channel island sportfishing....

But I only go for hoop netting trips for lobster and crab. 60 bucks from 5pm-12 midnight. only ten ppl on the boat. Dam good deal!!! they do it in oct. on the Cobra

Redkorn
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Make sure you check out the weather reports, there has been some decent swell pushing through that are lately. Virg's is good, as well as Central Coast sportfishing. I had a friend head out last week on Virg's Sunday long trip, they did 3 hours up the coast slamming hard the whole way up just to turn around and head back home because the swell was too big. For gear bring as least one rig for dropper loops, 30-60lb test, you'll be fishing down to 300' and another for Irons, large heavy irons (white has been working for me) in the range of 9oz to 20oz depending on current and depth. They are also getting some Halibut just north of the Rock up to 40 pounds drifting dines or chovies in 40 to 70' of water. Central Coast sportfishing is a woman capt and 1st mate, I thought BS the first time I went out, but she got us on the fish, popped bladders on undersize fish, like it was going out of style, and even flipped the boat around when my hat flew off ( lucky fishing hat) without any hesitation or asking. Prepare for wet weather, I always bring bibs and deck boots, and a good waterproof jacket. Good luck on those big lings.

9oz-20oz irom:Shocked: dam...umm should I just make a long dropper loop rigs and but it on a roller guides and 50w?

if you guys got some pic of you rigs I would love to see them :Wink:

Also how would I fish those big irons?

thanks

rusty6
09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
nobody in there right mind uses 20 oz weights out of virgs...the most ive seen is 16oz and like i said, i get away easily with 8-12 oz if the conditions are good, which they have been as of lately. i fish 50# spectra with about 60 feet of 30# mono. reverse dropper with a whole squid or live bait. some people do the double dropper loop with the feather jigs and squid strips

J. Owen
09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
dunno about you j owen but everytime ive gone out of virgs ive come back with a limit or almost limit of quality rockfish. but channel islands sportfishing is always a good bet for good rockfish

well just sharen my experience with it man but im also not to fond of the saltwater anyway bass fishing is ny game

Lipripper93561
09-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Big jigs weed out the small blue rockfish, and allow you to fish vertical on the drift, maybe I was overstating the 20oz jig, but my last trip out there produced on the biggest white glow jig I had, until I snapped it off. It's been stated the area is overfished, but I highly disagree with that, I've fished that area for the last 15 years and have only noticed the blue counts going up over reds and lings. A 54lb C bass was caught right off the rock last week, and cuda have been spotted in the area as well. Virg's just came back from an albie trip and did pretty good 40 miles out.

exfactor
09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
the Fiesta had 51 albies for 7 guys today. Good weather predicted for this weekend. It would not be hard to decide what to do. MIKEY

Redkorn
09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all the info guys but I got bad news...seems that 1 of the guys in our fishing group has work and that pretty much killed the trip....but the good news is that we are going to fish local...So I be looking for a fun cheap spot for later on this month.