PDA

View Full Version : Boat ,trl registration,,,,lost owner,,QUESTIONS

trail blazer
09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
At my work yard<a trucking company>,,there has been a 14 ft aluminum boat and trl stored there for yrs,,,I found out recently that the owner died yrs ago,,,,,I can have this boat if i want it, BUT , i dont want to mess with it if it will be a nightmare to get all the registration,s <TILE> for boat and trl, changed and current into my name.

QUESTION.
Has anybody here on FNN ever dealt with this issue with a boat and trl before??????????

fisherman from long beach
09-12-2009, 11:03 AM
the owner i got it from never registered the boat in over ten years,it wasnt even in the system at the d.m.v . thought it was gonna be a night mare also,maybe alot of money,but it only cost me 112.00 bucks.to put the boat in my name,had to bring trailor in for inspection.but i had pink slips for both.can you get the pinks on them ?if so probably not to much hassle.no pinks maybe a lil hassle. take a chance,if you dont like what it might cost junk it.or sell it on c/l

Psych22
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
If you want you can get a lien sale.
Definition of a lien sale.

If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.

If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.

To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record will be notified before the sale occurs.

If the vehicle's value is $4,000 or less, the registered and legal owners of record will be notified by the party conducting the lien. If the vehicle's value is greater than $4,000, DMV notifies all interested parties. You can call (916)-657-7617 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. if you have questions regarding lien sales.

5150xj
09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I went through a similar problem with a boat I bought. Long story short it was not that big a deal. What made it easy was dealing with AAA. I was able to talk with one person about the problem. They spent about 30 minutes explaining all the paper work, how to do it step by step, how to word things....and when it was time to come back with all the finished paper work I was able to call and get an appointment with the same person who helped me the first time and it all went smooth. Try that at DMV. Ha. Its well worth joining AAA just for DMV info alone. I have been a member for 27 years now.
Good luck
Tim

fishfinder
09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
i got an old boat once. when i went to the dmv and they said to just get a salvage title. which they gave me there on the spot. i guess i confused them with all the paperwork i had.

JimmyFSU
09-28-2009, 06:51 PM
i got an old boat once. when i went to the dmv and they said to just get a salvage title. which they gave me there on the spot. i guess i confused them with all the paperwork i had.

i love are DMV. haha

JL
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Yea If you are AAA member they work with you and give you all the info. If you can find a "vin" number on the boat or the trailer that will help them identify the last owner and whether you have to go to the family of the owner. In most cases if you are honest and don't try to give them any BS they will work with you to get it registered.

TRDEXPERT
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Its a free boat, Deal with the hassle.