PDA

View Full Version : There Are Fish In The Duct

yolo
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Hit up west Palmdale this afternoon and ran into MarineMichael. Fished for a little bit but was on the phone for more time than I fished. It was really hot and none of us were getting anything so I left. Driving home I am seeing some large clouds rolling in near my good 'ol not so "secret spot". Intuition is telling me to just go and try it there for a bit, even though I didn't really want to. Well I end up going and I am working the KPN skinny shad for several minutes. The cloud is right over me and this spot even has some wind which was lacking where I came from. It felt much better there. I keep working the lure. Swarms of pigeons keep flying by and I decide to mess with them and toss real high making a big impact when the lure hits the water. On the 3rd high cast messing with the birds, my lure hits the water and just a few cranks later, I get a strong hit. I set the hook and it is on. Fish immediately runs for the buoy line. I put my thumb on the spool to slow the drag down and to try to turn the fish. I am successful and we are fighting each other going the other way. I bring him in and he is all mine. What a rush it is to nail those duct stripers!

So my dodo skunk is definitely over and done with. Catching a summer afternoon duct striper on the hottest day of the week is no small task. I think I am officially back.

This male was 22" long and quite stout. Had a bunch of the shrimp and moss mixture in the gut along with what looks like a baby catfish or possibly a sculpin. Definitely not a silverside minnow.

Water at the first spot was moving good with some moss. Gate was half open. At the 2nd spot, it was barely moving and no moss floating at all.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-11-09/911-1.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-11-09/911-2.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-11-09/911-3.jpg

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/JetSkiJunkie118/Duct%209-11-09/911-4.jpg

tpfishnfool
09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Damn dude, Nice gut stuff.. I tried 110th and muntz yesterday and it was moss every cast.
Water was running slow and level was down almost 4 feet. Skunkola...
Nice work

trail blazer
09-11-2009, 06:31 PM
WTG YOLO!!!!!!!!

I knew you would be back on them in no time!!!!!1
DUCT STRIPERS BEWARE,,,,YOLOs BACK:Twisted:

RamboBoy
09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Who said there are NO fish in the Duct? LOL

Now there are fish in the duct, way to go Yolo!

yolo
09-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Damn dude, Nice gut stuff.. I tried 110th and muntz yesterday and it was moss every cast.
Nice work

I got a kitty yesterday and a lawn chair. Donated both to an angler that was there who was getting discouraged with duct fishing. he was a happy camper after though.

WTG YOLO!!!!!!!!

I knew you would be back on them in no time!!!!!1
DUCT STRIPERS BEWARE,,,,YOLOs BACK:Twisted:

Thanks man. It's good to get on a striper. The catfish just don't cut it for me.

Who said there are NO fish in the Duct? LOL

Now there are fish in the duct, way to go Yolo!

Thanks Rambo.

vagabond
09-12-2009, 09:35 AM
nice striper yolo...stopping at the 2nd spot was a good idea..

SkipperDick
09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Nicely done Zoli!! You make it look easy sometimes Brother! Almost makes me want to come up there and hunt the Stripeys..............ALMOST! Way to go Dude.

SkipperDick

yolo
09-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Todd, thanks man. I would say wait another month for temps to cool down and hopefully water demand to taper off so the high flow can be reduced.

DaWookie
09-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice workWe were up there thursday night and it was horrible. Lost 2 lures to something that was snagging in the water and hauled up what felt like 40 lbs of moss on another.

SkipperDick
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Todd, thanks man. I would say wait another month for temps to cool down and hopefully water demand to taper off so the high flow can be reduced.

Yep, I think that's exactly what I will do Brother. I'll let you know when I do plan on heading your way, been a while since we've fished together. Peace

SkipperDick

yolo
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
We were up there thursday night and it was horrible. Lost 2 lures to something that was snagging in the water and hauled up what felt like 40 lbs of moss on another.

Unfortunately, the water flows wide open from about 7:30pm until around 11:00am. The moss introduced by the high flow makes things pretty unfishable. If you want any chance at keeping action on your lure to entice a fish, you just about have to be out there during the middle of the day and afternoon in the heat.

Yep, I think that's exactly what I will do Brother. I'll let you know when I do plan on heading your way, been a while since we've fished together. Peace

SkipperDick

Looking forward to it. I have a new spot to show you too. No striper for me yet from there but I think that will change with the favorable conditions coming up in several weeks. Do you have a bicycle? If so, you will have to bring it.

TroutOnly
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
HEY YOLO I LIKE THAT LURE,,,,,,,,,,,,KILL THE STRIPERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Congrats on shakin that skunk...it'll be on now from here forth and your drive will be that much more...woo hoo !

Salute ..nice catch especially during the heat.

The one I landed friday night had much of the same in his gut...
alot of shrimp and the leftovers from some small baitfish (looked like a skulpin)

congrats on a job well done