PDA

View Full Version : Three days at Channel Islands

Tail Chaser
06-29-2007, 11:51 PM
One afternoon at CIH andThree midweek days at the islands.20th/24th and no fish tacos. Launched out of Oxnard Wed/20th 3PM into a nasty 3' windchop.Nothing at the flats but very steep bumpy seas. Then tryed drifting over a wreck near a offshore oil platform.Couldnt get the boat positioned safely over the wreck,So got me a guest slip at back CIH. Thurs morning, Got me a 1/2 scoop of chovys and headed over to fishcamp at Anacapa. the Gentlemen Moo Moo and one other cattle boat pulled up about the same time as me. I took the cove,They took the point off fishcamp. Seemed kind of slow Got one bite in 30 mins that spooled my 25# saltist 30 reel and broke off. :evil:Caught a 16"crab,a starfish,and a tiny octapus The Moo Moo's left and I decided to grab the speargun and check out the cove. A few small Calicos, A bunch of cool looking orange fish, and some white fish. After three hours of snorkeling no WSB/Yellowtail. So off to Santa Cruz island. Huge kelp pattys at yellowbanks dropped my 25# setup with frozen squid, And Bammm....Zip..... Cant even slow it down. Wraped up in the kelp for one hour :evil:Saw this like 35lb Yellow wraped around the kelp stalks. So Speargun time again. Followed and unwraped my 25# mono for close to one hour. New to freediving,Still didnt have enough wt to dive deep. found my sinker but old yeller got away :evil: Hooked to a 5'wing span bat ray that night. fought him for 1 1/2 hrs. He got loose for the photo session.Day two Fri.Nothing in the day but saved a broken down PVT boater. That evening off Smuglers cove, Three more bat rays. Morning of Day three Saturday. The fleet was at the east end of Santa Cruz. Dropped my25# line and Bam.... Zip....almost spooled and broke off :evil: 25#line sucks.Grabbed my 30lb saltist 40. threw on some Frozen sguid and Bamm.....Zip..... But this time fish had no chance. :D Caught four more bat rays. 3 and 4ft wings.Hoping for yellows/WSB But not the case. Low on squid/chum on Day 3 3PM So headed back in

JapanRon
06-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Broken Rod,

Some adventure. Thanks for the great report and cool pictures of Mr. BR.

Better luck on the yts and WSB next time!

JapanRon

Tail Chaser
06-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Broken Rod,

Some adventure. Thanks for the great report and cool pictures of Mr. BR.

Better luck on the yts and WSB next time!

JapanRon Thanks JR,
Talking about crowded MOO MOOs. The Gentlemen was at Anacapa Thurs morning, Didnt look real close but maybe 40%full. Saw them again at Santa Cruz Sat morning. Totally packed,Not even elbow room. :shock: Took a pic, but it got lost somewhere. Your real lucky to go out midweek.Think i'll try to catch a sandy/butt on plastics for ya soon :D

migfrias
07-02-2007, 05:44 PM
nice mud marlin, sorry about the big ol yellar gettin away!

where you drifting lodgen L ?

miguel