PDA

View Full Version : Vail Lake with Art Hill - 9-9-09

mikeepc
09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
My wife bought me a full day trip on Vail Lake with Art at the last auction for our son's school, Mater Dei. I was finally able to tear myself away from work and set up a time with Art. I've read a lot of the reports here on FNN about how incredible this lake has been, but when I spoke with Art he (very wisely) let me know that it's been a little slow this summer if you don't want to use bait (which I didn't). None the less, I know that some days are better than others, and a "bad" day fishing is a hell of a lot better than a good day at work, so we set up the date.

We hit the lake at sunrise and started with topwaters. Right away I get a blow up on my lure, but I farmed it about halfway to the boat. We worked the shoreline a little more, and I get bit again after letting the lure sit in the water a bit. Art was gracious enough to count the fish, but it did come off as I was swinging it in the boat. It was about a 1 1/2 lbr.

Moved to a different spot to try some spinnerbaits and some jigs. No luck here with those, so we switched to the drop shot. He had some custom plastics that I used and was able to catch 2 or 3 with these. They weren't huge, but they were solid fish.

The wind really picked up and we went to an area that had a lot of stick-ups and threw some spinnerbaits. This is where I picked up another 4 fish - I think the best one went almost 4 lbs, which is a blast on the spinnerbait.

I usually fish Lake Mission Viejo, and this was such a nice change. This lake fished more like the lakes I'm used to fishing in Texas. I like beining able to use the different presentations and the body of water has a lot of variety.

Fishing with Art was the icing on the cake! He put me on fish when the conditions were clearly very tough, and it felt like I was fishing with a friend and not a guide! We estimated my 5 best fish went about 14 lbs. I can't wait until it cools down a little and I can get back out there with Art and do it again.

PWBUILDING
09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
thanks for the post. nice pictures. glad to see ya had a good time.
GOD bless & may you have many more

flytier
09-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm glad you had such a good trip. I'm also glad you put ole Art Hill to work. You are so right. He is not only an excellent guide but a most pleasant person and great to fish with. I have had him as a guide twice, and now consider him a good friend. I like it when I hear his clients make him work. After all, us clients want to keep him in good shape. Hope you continue to have tight lines and good fishing. Don

tacklejunkie
09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Lots of detail. A 4lber on a spinnerbait would be sweet!
Good job on the Vail fishes guys.
Thanks for the report.

idratherbfishin
09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice job on those toads. I briefly had access to Veil, it was always a blast. I'm not really a bass guy but Veil is a very special lake. Hope to get back there sometime. Tight lines -bfishin

Fishbreath
09-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Glad to hear you had a good day. Art always works hard to get his guests fish, and he knows that lake better than anyone else. Fishing has been tough, but it is starting to improve. It will only get better as we move into the fall, so definitely come back. I was there Wednesday too. I am the old guy in the tin boat you talked with down in Goose Bay. Larry

ART HILL
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Mike. It was awesome fishing with you on Wednesday. You put to bed the rumor that you can't catch fish on Vail, unless you use live bait. You worked the spinnerbaits like a pro, and nailed some very good fish.

Vail is starting to get back to it's old self again. Still lots of bait in the water, but at least the fish are eating artificials again. This lake is going to go off with some big fish next year, after a full year of good eating. I have not seen any long skinny fish since the early spring.

Larry, I keep telling you that you are not old, just well seasoned. When I grow up, I want to be just like you. No one has the numbers, or size, that you get from Vail.

Thanks,

Art