PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 day on the Condor out of SD 9/7-9/9

Mojave River Angler
09-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Since the Grande was cancelled I moved over to the Condor. We went out Monday night and returned on Wednesday morning.

The abbreviated report would look like this.

28 Anglers

All Anglers limited on YFT by 9 am except a couple who were done by mid day.
We spent the rest of the day trolling and looking for Dorado. Many on the boat limited on them as well. We also picked up a Yellowtail here and there.
A couple of us picked up a Skipjack.
We threw back a lot of fish.
Tuna were 7-15 lbs
I saw Dorado on the boat that were almost 4' long.

My catch was a skipjack and a bunch of Yellowfin.

We left SD headed southwest into Mexican waters. I think we started fishing about 55 miles out.

The boat was great and the crew was great too (except for one deckhand who was very full of himself). Food on the boat was fantastic. Captain was great and I really appreciated how he rotated everone through the trolling. Too bad they don't do the same thing with the crowding problem at the back of the boat. We could have had every person on the boat limited on Dorado had they moved the beligerant monopolizers out of the way for a paddy or two.

All in all a great trip.
No need for a bunch of boat pictures...you've already seen those.

MRA

deanhall32
09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Were the tuna biting the small baits or the big baits or both? How about the iron?? Thanks for the report...

hbomb
09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Great Report, no need for the pics I can picture it already, great job. :Cool:

Mojave River Angler
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
They were hitting any live bait and some of the artificials. I caught 1 on a mexican flag feather lure. Other than that...all on live baits up to 6".

MRA

deanhall32
09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
They were hitting any live bait and some of the artificials. I caught 1 on a mexican flag feather lure. Other than that...all on live baits up to 6".

MRA

Thanks. I'm heading out tonight on a 1 1/2 day and the information is handy. I suppose they were biting rope and flurocarbon was not necessary???

Mojave River Angler
09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, the action at the paddys is insane. You'll pull up and have 10 minutes of insanity. Have two poles ready to go with nothing but 2/0 hook ready to go. As soon as the boat stops get the live bait out as far as you can toss it and let it do the swimming. Fish open reel...then when you line starts to fly, count to three then lock your line and hold on. You won't need to "set the hook". Don't bother with less than 30 lb. line unless you are going for Dorado. They seem to be a little more line shy. Have two poles ready so you can just drop the first rod if you have to cut the hook off and fish with pole #2. You'll be lucky if the action lasts long enough to snag three fish.

You can throw irons and other artificials if you want, but no real need. You will limit out...regardless.

If you have a third pole set up with 60lb or better on conventional reel you'll be all set for the troll if your captain wants to offer you the troll option. The only thing we caught on the troll was tuna. No Dorado or yellowtail on the troll that I can remember.

I look forward to your reports

MRA

ghetto dad
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Nice report brother...way to slay....

GD

JapanRon
09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Mojave River Angler,

I thought the Tuna shuffle was the rule on those type of trips/boats ?! What ?! The crew doesn't kick somebodys tail to get going? Doesn't sound like a squared-away deck to me.

I don't go on those type of trips BECAUSE I want to fish one spot on the boat ALL DAY LONG ! :)

JapanRon

russ88
09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Glad u had a great trip! We want more pics....lol