PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinder location?

tizzfishin
09-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Just got a garmin 140 for our boat but we are having trouble figuring out where to install it. Should the display be by the driver or up front with the trolling motor? What do you think about attaching the transducer to the trolling motor? Thanks

GeordyBass
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
A lot of bass guys do that, but the problem is you are limited to using it soley when the trolling motor is in use, rather than you being informed what depth and structureyou are in top of right in front of you while driving.... you also won't be able to troll efficiently as well.... Note: Bass guys have a fishfinder in the driver's seat as well.....

Socal Bassman
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
You'll get more benefit if it's on the console or by the driver. With it being up front, you're still pretty much fishing blind until you put the trolling motor down. By the driver's seat, you can see what depth you are in and what kind of structure is available before you put the trolling motor down. This should help you eliminate unproductive water. The main benefit of having the fish finder up front is if you'll be fishing vertical presentations in deep water. Just my :My Two Cents:.

BingJr
09-13-2009, 10:23 AM
You really do need a finder in both places. I have my expensive one on the drivers console and a less expensive black and white model on my trolling motor.

flyforfish21
09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
both would be nice, but if you're on a budget, you could put in on the console, but use a ram mount. Also, use a shoot-thru-hull transducer, that way, when you put the trolling motor down you can turn the fishfinder towards you from the console (make sense?). I have been thinking about this for awhile as i am in the market for a good finder. Anyway, good luck either way you install it.

Flyforfish21

tizzfishin
09-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Well before I drill into the transom and mount the transducer I am going to try it on the trolling motor. The two closet lakes have speed restrictions so this may work out. I screwed the mount into the underside of the front cushion that way when I am trolling I can flip the cushion and have the finder right in front of me. When I am looking for a spot to fish I can detach it and bring it up to the drivers seat. That's my plan I will let you know how it works.