PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Beautiful California Native -- The Paiute Cutthroat Trout

Natural Lefty
09-09-2009, 08:32 PM
The following is a post I wrote today, which is already on my blog (boxfreeblog) and the Thom Hartmann Official Community Site. Since it is fishing related, I am adding it here, as well. I have or will have in the future, some more fishing related topics to add, which are not actual fishing reports. I am also including a photo of a Paiute Cutthroat Trout which I found on the internet.

September 9

Saving a Beautiful California Native -- The Paiute Cutthroat Trout

I decided to take a break today from writing about evolution, to write about one of my favorite topics -- Trout, particularly, the preservation of the Paiute Cutthroat Trout. Anyway, this topic also relates to evolution.

I first heard of these fish many years ago. They were said to be beautiful and rare, living only in a few small creeks in one small drainage on the Eastern slope of California's Sierra Nevada mountain range. Since I grew up fishing farther south in the Sierras, I was intrigued by these fish. When the internet came into being, one of my early searches was to look for a picture of one. It was striking, with large, purple parr marks on a spotless body. Looking up more pictures of these fish recently, I saw that they vary consderably in color, with most of them being a light pink color with purple parr marks, but some having a more yellowish or grayish hue. What they all have in common is a lack of black spots on their bodies, except for up to six on the area near their tails. Some have no spots at all. In any case, they have fewer spots than another native California beauty, the famous Golden Trout of the Golden Trout Creek strain, which has been widely transplanted.

The native home of the Paiute Cutthroat Trout is the Silver King Creek drainage, a tributary of the Carson River. When I think of California Trout, I do not usually think of Cutthroat Trout, but this region of the Sierra's Eastern slope, including the Walker, Carson, and Truckee River drainages, are native Cutthroat territory. The strain of Cutthroats found throughout most of these 3 drainages is called the Lahonton Cutthroat Trout, also a beautiful fish many of which are red over most of their bodies. Their numbers have been decimated -- primarily by the planting of non-native species -- in much of their range, but they still thrive in many places. Fortunately, the Lahontan Cutthroats can thrive in very alkaline waters, being uniquely suited to two large lakes in Nevada with no outlets -- Walker Lake (where the Walker River ends up), and Pyramid Lake (where the Truckee River ends its journey). However, they have virtually disappeared from Lake Tahoe, where they used to grow to over 10 pounds regularly, and provided a commercial fishery before other species took over. Another strain of Cutthroats in California are the Coastal Cutthroats along the far Northern Coast of California. The Coastal Cutthroat is a sea-run strain which is found throughout the Pacific Northwest.

In contrast to the Lahontan Cutthroat, the Paiute Cutthroat were never very common due to their limited range. They are presumed to have evolved from the Lahontan Cutthroat, living in isolation for many thousands of years due to downstream waterfalls on Silver King Creek, which prevented the Lahontan Cutthroats from migrating upstream. These waterfalls were apparently formed during the ice ages, either through volcanic activity, or glacial activity. The similarities between the two strains of Cutthoat, Lahontan and Paiute, are evident in their appearance -- the lack of spots, the distinct red slash under the throat which gives Cutthroats their name, their relatively solid colors. The differences are the large purple oval shaped parr marks along the midline of the Paiute's bodies, even fewer spots, and their more pinkish, grayish, or yellowish coloration. The Paiute Cutthroat Trout probably also have different habits and diet, since they evolved in relatively small streams. As it turns out, a Basque Shepherder in 1912 caught some of these beautiful fish from Silver King Creek, was enamored with them, and so, transplanted some of them upstream to some tributaries of Silver King Creek, above yet another waterfall called Llewallyn Falls. This move probably saved the pure strain from extinction, because not long afterward, some nitwit put Rainbow Trout in the part of Silver King Creek which provided the Paiute Cutthroat's native habitat. The Rainbows, which technically speaking are conspecific with both Cutthroat Trout and Golden Trout, interbred with the Paiute fish, creating a hybrid strain with individuals varying widely in appearance. The Paiute strain was not native above Llewallyn Falls; that area was originally fishless, but thanks to the Basque Shepherder, this area is now inhabited by pure-strain Paiute Cutthroat Trout. These creeks, which require a hike of many miles just to reach, have long been closed to fishing, however, to protect the fish, so few people have ever caught or even seen a live Paiute Cutthroat Trout.

As it also turns out, my brother Bruce grew up to major in Soil Science, and got a Ph.D. in this topic. Subsequently, he was hired as a scientist by the California State Water Quality Control Board, at their office in South Lake Tahoe. As part of his job, he works with fisheries experts on water quality issues. During the past few years, the California Department of Fish and Game, as part of its efforts to preserve and restore native species, and with the support of conservation and fishing groups, has been determned to restore the Paiute Cutthroats to their native home. My brother has been a consultant to this project. After much debate, it has been determined that Rotenone would be used to eliminate all fish from the native range of the Paiute Cutthroat. Subsequently, the plan is to reintroduce purebred Paiute Cutthroats from above Llewallyn Falls to areas below the falls to which they were native. Rotenone is a poison derived from Chysanthemum plants which suffocates aquatic life, then biodegrades. Some conservationists were concerned that irreparable damage would be done by the Rotenone to other species such as Salamanders and Frogs in the area, but the Rotenone advocates won the argument. For awhile, Bruce was telling me that people would be encouraged to simply fish out all of the hybrid trout though sportfishing, but that was ultimately deemed impractical. (In fact, he was encouraging me to go fishing there, which involves a six mile hike to reach even the lower part of Silver King Creek where the trail first reaches the creek.) At this time, the Rotenone has not yet been used in Silver King Creek, but if successful, eventually, the range of the Paiute Cutthroat will be extended to their original range, and perhaps beyond, and fishing for these beauties may be allowed.

I await further word from my brother and news sources regarding the outcome of this project. I have never caught a Cutthroat Trout in California, of any strain, but the point of this post is not to lament the fact that I have never caught one; rather, I celebrate the very existence of these beautiful fish. Although they are not sentient beings in the sense that we are, I love them as beautiful marvels of the natural world, and fellow inhabitants of our planet, who have struggled to survive, and succeeded. Now that we have invaded and changed their environment, they deserve our help.

smokehound
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Ive seen 20 inch paiutes, they are breathtaking. Cutthroats are my favorite trout.

especially a sea-run cutthroat.

Natural Lefty
09-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Smokehound, I think they rival the Golden Trout in appearance, but a bit more subtle. The Paiute Trout are much less well known and rarer, though, sort of like the Lttle Kern Golden Trout, which are endangered and occur in a very limited area, unlike the more common variety of Golden Trout.

It's a lucky coincidence for me that one of my brothers is involved in the Paiute Cutthroat Trout Restoration Project. :Shocked:

teejay
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Very informative, thanks for sharing. I wish your brother the best in his efforts to save this fine trout.

Natural Lefty
09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you Teejay! In fact, I am actually hoping for my brother to write up something about his perspective on this project, but so far, have not received anything. If he does send something, I will post it here and elsewhere. Instead of waiting longer for my brother to send something, I decided to do my own writeup in my style. When I told my wife about that, she said I would do a better job of it, anyway, but my brother is also obviously very literate and a good writer. In fact, that is part of his job.

Smokehound, about Cutthroat varieties, I forgot to mention, I have also caught Coastal Cutthroat, but only in Washington State. I have also caught Yellowstone Cutts in Yellowstone, the Snake River variety (in the Snake River), and a Cuttbow on the Grand Mesa in Colorado which I think was a mixture of the Colorado River strain Cutthroat with Rainbow. I also am partial to Cutthroats and wish there were more of them, but they have mostly lost out fo the easier-to-raise-in-crowded-hatchery-water Rainbows.

dockboy
09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info! Ralph Cutter has long been an advocate for proper management of the Pauites. His book, Sierra Trout Fishing, beyond being a great all around guide for anglers in the Sierras, is very educational about conservation and angling ethics. Its more than recommended for ANY Sierra angler. once again, thanks for getting out the info :Smile:

smokehound
09-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Thank you Teejay! In fact, I am actually hoping for my brother to write up something about his perspective on this project, but so far, have not received anything. If he does send something, I will post it here and elsewhere. Instead of waiting longer for my brother to send something, I decided to do my own writeup in my style. When I told my wife about that, she said I would do a better job of it, anyway, but my brother is also obviously very literate and a good writer. In fact, that is part of his job.

Smokehound, about Cutthroat varieties, I forgot to mention, I have also caught Coastal Cutthroat, but only in Washington State. I have also caught Yellowstone Cutts in Yellowstone, the Snake River variety (in the Snake River), and a Cuttbow on the Grand Mesa in Colorado which I think was a mixture of the Colorado River strain Cutthroat with Rainbow. I also am partial to Cutthroats and wish there were more of them, but they have mostly lost out fo the easier-to-raise-in-crowded-hatchery-water Rainbows.You gotta try targetting the lahontans, those are monster cutties. They get HUGE.

Natural Lefty
09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Dockboy, I used to have Ralph Cutter's book, but my wife "rearranged" it into oblivion along with most of my older personal possessions. :Shocked::Rolls Eyes::Confused:

Smokehound, I know the Lahontans get huge. I mentioned that in the post. I would really love to catch some of them, but the strange thing is, I have never caught a Cutthroat of any kind in California, where I have done most of my fishing. I have only caught them in other states. This June, I was hoping my wife and I could catch some Cutts in the Tahoe area while we were there, particularly in Red Lake, which is supposed to have a lot of them, but somehow that didn't happen although we caught lots of fish. The fish really weren't biting well at Red Lake -- 1 Brookie on my first cast, then nothing.

Crawler
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice post NL. I have been dreaming about holding one of these guys in my hands since I first got my copy of cutters trout guide, when I was about 12 years old. :Envious: This year I finally caught my first cutty, a lohantan out of the bishop area. Beautiful fish.

Natural Lefty
09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Crawler, in the Bishop area, seriously? I didn't know there were any Lahontan Cutthroats in that area, but I have heard of a few backcountry lakes in that region with one type of Cutthroat or another. Most of the Cutthroats in the Sierras are in the Tahoe region, though, where they are the native trout.

The Lahontan Cutthroats are presumably the strain which the Paiute Cutthroats evolved from, so they are very similar.

gwjones00
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
There are cutts in June Lake. Caught one in Grant Lake like 15 years ago.....

smokehound
09-17-2009, 12:03 AM
There are only two spots in california I can think of having lahontan cutthroats, the truckee river, and Lake tahoe. Most of em in the rivers are tiny, compared to the ones you see in Pyramid Lake.

gwjones00
09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
There are only two spots in california I can think of having lahontan cutthroats, the truckee river, and Lake tahoe. Most of em in the rivers are tiny, compared to the ones you see in Pyramid Lake.

June Lake has a population of Lahontan Cuttthroats.....

Natural Lefty
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Smokehound, Lahontan Cutts have been introduced, or reintroduced to many places in recent years. The DFG uses Heenan Lake as a broodstock lake for them. They take eggs and sperm from there, raise them in hatcheries to fingerling or subcatchable size, then stock them in various places, including backcountry lakes in the Tahoe region. They are self-sustaining in some of these places. The Upper Truckee River drainage above Tahoe, including both lakes and streams, is indeed one of their stongholds, and they are native to these waters. I think they are working on using Martis Creek Reservoir as a second Lahonton broodstock lake, also. I have heard they have been stocked in Crowley and the June Lake Loop, among other places.

If the Paiute Cutthroat Restoration Project is successful, people will have a number of places to fish for these fish, too. I don't think they grow as large as the Lahonton strain does, though.

Crawler
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Crawler, in the Bishop area, seriously? I didn't know there were any Lahontan Cutthroats in that area, but I have heard of a few backcountry lakes in that region with one type of Cutthroat or another. Most of the Cutthroats in the Sierras are in the Tahoe region, though, where they are the native trout.

The Lahontan Cutthroats are presumably the strain which the Paiute Cutthroats evolved from, so they are very similar.

The greater Bishop area. :LOL:

Here is the lake.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/sierras_7_4_2009179.jpg

Here is the fish.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/sierras_7_4_2009051.jpg

The pic doesnt do him justice. Just beautiful.

Natural Lefty
09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Crawler, nice fish! I don't recognize that lake. I am guessing it is in the backcountry somewhere.

Crawler
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Crawler, nice fish! I don't recognize that lake. I am guessing it is in the backcountry somewhere.

Yup! :Cool: