PDA

View Full Version : which rod and reel?

Justl1keRaven
09-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Okay, so I am looking for..

7' Med Action, Heavy Power, 6-15lb line toss up to 5/8 oz rod. Bait casting. Any ideas where to start looking?

Also, what bait casting reel would be recommended? I am thinking of the curado, but is that really good for saltwater?

bsp
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I use a Phenix X-10 crankbait rod (awesome for surf halibut), and a Luna 203. The rod is a little stronger than your specs, but it tosses LCs plenty far enough to catch halibut, WSB, YFC, BSP, or other surf species that hit the LC. The baitcaster is all personal preference, and Curado E5s are good surf fishing reels. I am partial to round reels, but as long as you spend the money on a quality reel you can go low profile or round. Spool it up with 12lb or 14lb fluoro and you are good to go. Focus on 200 size reels as they generally have the right line capacity and casting ability.

vanillagurilla
09-09-2009, 05:04 PM
i use a clarus and a curado 100b. or a corvalus 200. my rod is 8'6" medium light action and can toss an lc about 40 yards lol. dosnt feel to heavy on the rod.

GeordyBass
09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Get a 7'6" Shimano Crucial MH Fast Action Flippin' rod.... Best for almost every light saltwater applications and freshwater.... Get it and you wont regret it. Warranty is top notch too, Lifetime over-the-counter replacement for free....:Cool:

Curado would be a perfect match too!

calico killer kevin
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey bro, I assume you're using this for LC's? Considering the LC is 5/8-3/4oz, I would get something rated for 1/2-1.25-1.5oz and 8-17lb or 10-20lb. This will be okay as long as you order a "moderate" or "moderate-fast" rod. This means the action(parabolic bend) is slower than "fast"or "ex-fast". This extra parabolic bend will allow youto whip that LC out there at a higher speed than less parabolic rods, making the distance longer. Of course length has to be in the equation, but I wouldn't get anything longer than 7'-7'4". Anything longer and it will be a bit cumbersome. Also, the "mod" or "mod-fast" actions will cushion the headshaking which the halibut is quite well known for.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but I will show you a few options in different price ranges. I would recommend not cheaping out on the rod because the action of crankbaits are caused by the rod more so than the reel.

$100-$130
Shimano Compre "Crankbait" Series CPCC70MHB
Daiwa Iaconelli MI721HFB
Powell "Cranking Series" 706CB

$150-$180
Shimano Crucial "Crankbait" Series CRCC72MH
Damiki Dark Angel C761M-CR
Carrot Stix LTX "Cranking" Series CLTX721M-MC (Wingnut seems to like this rod alot)
Falcon Cara T7 "Reaction" Series CCB-5-173DR
Kistler Magnesium TS "Composite Cranking" Series MGCBCGGM70
St.Croix Avid AVC70MHM

$200-$230
Dobyns Champion "Crankbait" Series 705CB
Loomis "Crankbait" Series CBR845C
Lamiglas Skeet Reese SR 705R
Phenix "Crankbait" Series X12
Cumara "Reaction" Series CUC70MH (My Favorite)

That being said, a Curado would be absoluetly perfect for any one of these rods, preferably an E5. If not a Citica would be perfect as well as Revo STX, Daiwa Luna 203, Calcutta 200 or 250, Daiwa Inshore, Pfleuger Patriarch 64WLP, and the list goes on.

Justl1keRaven
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
I was told Curado shouldn't really be used for Saltwater... why do you think that is?

calico killer kevin
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I was told Curado shouldn't really be used for Saltwater... why do you think that is?
There is no such thing as a reel that is "made" for SW. Anything that gets infested with sand, salt, and water will be ruined. If you take care of your reels with regualr maintenance, you'll be fine using any reel in the salt apart from a few MG reels. No reel will survive SW work, especially surf, if you don't take care of it.

The Curado E is a perfect candidate for your fishing needs.