PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Week-end @ Silver Lake

GullFisher
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi All:

My Son and I left the O.C. early on saturday morning and arrived @ the Federal Campground @ Silver Lake and got one of the last two spots! Whew! We were lucky. After camp was set up we went to Gull for some late afternoon and evening wetting of the lines. We to the "short pier" as we call it and got the big skunk! Went back and made dinner and played cards and called it a night.

Got up early on Sunday went back to Gull and visited with the two guys at the Marina. One of them told us about the stocking of Lee Vining Creek and away we went. We killed em there! Caught and released our fair share with P/B and Lip Ripperz. Left there and went to Saddlebag Lake for a few hours of high country fishing. I got the skunk but my Son caught a smaller "planter". Left there went back to camp for a much needed nap!

Had a late lunch played around a bit then went to Silver around 6:30 p.m. with our chairs and no intention of doing anything more than some more much needed R & R. Well at about 7:05 p.m. My Son get slammed!!! 8 minutes later he lands a 3 lbs Rainbow that was fat and beautiful! (Picture in next post). I then caught a 1.5 lbs Rainbow about 20 minutes later and we had a great trout dinner!!! What a beauty his fish was. I was truly proud of him as he did it all by hisself! At 13 years old he is quite a outdoorsman!

That's it for now. Keep checking back as I'm sure Gullfisher Jr will be posting his version of the week-end.

Tight Lines,
Gullfisher

smokinflies
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
i miss fishing silver lake.

tcat74
09-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Many fond memories of Silver lake!!

MammothMagic
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
sounds like u had a great time way to get your boy up in God's country. Silver lake sure is beautiful we were the week before you and did very well and we also got to see a doe and her 3 fawns cross rush creek. Love it.

Trout Seeker
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Where were you fisihing and catching on Lee Vining Creek????

GullFisher
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Trout Seeker:

We were just below the Old Power Station at a Pool right by a small bridge. I believe it is the area the DFG stocks the creek from.

Gull Fisher

P.S.

Power Worms and Lip Ripperz (orange & yellow)

Trout Seeker
01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
what were you catching the trout with at Silver lake...and whereabouts on the lake? I ask because I plan on taking my 8 year old son up that way in the summer and would like to hook him up with some fish.

Trout Seeker