PDA

View Full Version : nph cuda???

samgann93
09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Im taking out my girlfriends family fishing tomorrow afternoon to newport harbor or pier. i know they would have fun catching something besides mackerel. Is there a spot to catch barracuda from shore in the harbor?

Thanks.
SamGann

LunkerLover
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
SG:

Afternon? Shore? Yer chances, dude, are slim. If you want to get on a cuda bite, it have to be early morning (5:00-8:00) tossin small irons, swimmies, and live choives near the barge... I'd say your BEST bet from the shore would be getting out AS EARLY as possible and headin as far out on the breakers as you can..

You can get them on a bass/croaker/butt bite if you get some plastics and hit-up M st or 15th st docks....

tight lines, man...

LL

bsp
09-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Im taking out my girlfriends family fishing tomorrow afternoon to newport harbor or pier. i know they would have fun catching something besides mackerel. Is there a spot to catch barracuda from shore in the harbor?

Thanks.
SamGann

Go fish for bat rays or sharks. I know my girls have flipped when they saw me catch big leopard sharks or rays. It's even better when they hook the shark because you can help them fight that big, heavy fish. Girls especially like it when you tail their shark, or when you have to deal with a bat ray and it's big stinger :Wink:

Whole squid or mack strips, 4/0 or 6/0 hooks, 4oz-6oz torpedo sinkers, BIG swivels, heavy leader (cable or 40lb-60lb mono/fluoro), and a 40lb casting set up should let you land most bat rays or sharks the harbor can throw at you. Can't help you with spots, but try to get out and scout for a bit now.

Good luck!

samgann93
09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
ya i fish for rays and sharks all the time. but her couzin is only an 8 year old little girl and a ray would kick her butt. haha. so i was just gonna see if there was anything else like cuda. i figured it would be an early morning bite though.

Thanks for the info guys.

YakN'Surf
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Take em surf perch fishing. Its almost always a sure bet and pretty fun on light line.

bsp
09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, soak some ghost shrimp of the docks or go surf fishing for perch with sand crabs or crack then. You know what to do, and hope the GF appreciates the effort!

calico killer kevin
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey dude I got your text from awhile back, but I didn't have my phone on me. But, yeah, we did pretty well on the 1.5 day. Report's in the SW section.

Just grab some mussels of the pilings and use it for bait. There is a little swim beach behind the liquor store near The Old Spaghettie Factory. Great for bait fishing and there are lots of different fish. Or a public docks, either M street or 15th and just chumming a crapload of bread to get the smelt coming and set her up with a size 24 or smaller hook and 2lb. She'll have fun.