PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 9/7 in the evening, Working hard on Labor Day

fishinone
09-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Romeo, Mischa and I planned to go to Castaic later in the day to give the weekenders a chance to head home. The boat ramp was a zoo as we launched with a few boats launching and more pulling out. Great the plan was working!

We picked up a good fish, about 3 1/2 lb., after trolling for just a few minutes but we were still too close to the zoo, so we kept going. We trolled the East side of the fish arm searching for concentrations of fish. We figured out that the schools were holding on the straight sections inside of the main lake points.

We saw Dan and a friend fishing in one of the coves and talked with them for a few. Nice seeing you out there Dan. They had some fish in the boat. I think they were concentrating on boils.

Several times we had boils start so close in front of the boat that we were on top of them before we could make a cast. I think the fish were taking advantage of the shad reacting to the boat as we approached.

We found a good concentration of fish in one spot but only picked up one dink and kept going. We made our way to Elizabeth Canyon and came back up to the Outhouse on the other side. By this time we had 5 fish in the boat, all dinks except for the first one.

Up to this time, I spent a good part of my time defending the rigs! I felt like I was doing calisthenics, waving my arms around, holding up fishing poles and yelling, "Hey we're trolling.". We would see a school of shad with fish on it, on the fish finder, start intently watching the poles,:Big Grin: and just as the poles passed over the shad school a boat would cut right over the rigs.:EyePop: I don't know if we found active fish or not.

We were down to about an hour and a half to fish. We pulled up our rigs and went back to the spots where we got the bigger model and the concentration that we had seen. There was a small school, there where we caught the first one but they didn't cooperate and we moved on to the concentration. We got a double dink hookup on the first pass through the concentration and started making circles, picking up one or two on each pass.

We picked up another bigger model and remembered to take a picture.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20090709%20Romie%20and%20Mischa/0907091805-1.jpg

I asked Romeo to pose with his fish but he was too busy fishing and we forgot to get that picture at the end of the day.

We ended the day putting the boat on the trailer, just under the wire at 7:15.

We had 13 fish in the boat.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Castaic%20090709%20Romie%20and%20Mischa/0907092020.jpg

We had 3 doubles all day and:

Developed an advanced de-hooking method that you guys might want to try!

You pull both fish in the boat and grab one to get the the hook out, but hold the other one up. The fish that's hanging becomes an acrobat and flings itself off the hook getting it's tail just outside the boat as it falls, flipping itself into the water for a score of "10". They even land head first and make a tiny splash.:Confused:

We never actually kept a double all day. We did that twice and lost half of the third double just as we picked them up out of the water.

We had a great time, missed most of the weekenders and caught plenty of fish.

MonsterGuppy
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Good job out there fishinone :), I saw you up near Elizabeth Canyon and had 2 in the boat. I stuck around the same area and picked up another 4 schoolies, lost what felt like 2 bigger one's and called it a day.

vagabond
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
nice going fishinone,looks like good time..

RamboBoy
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Good job fishinone!

fishinone
09-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Good job out there fishinone :), I saw you up near Elizabeth Canyon and had 2 in the boat. I stuck around the same area and picked up another 4 schoolies, lost what felt like 2 bigger one's and called it a day.

Isn't it always the big one that get's away? It is for me!

Which boat were you in?

MonsterGuppy
09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I was in the little g3, hope to be up there again with a few friends tomorro.

fishinone
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I was in the little g3, hope to be up there again with a few friends tomorro.

Good luck!

Let us know how you do.

trail blazer
09-08-2009, 04:37 PM
WTG on the stripes,,,,,and beating the crouds

CAPT'N
09-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Nice slay on the Linesides.

capt'n

kewlwhip
09-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Niceee stringer fishinone-

kpn
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Ron,
So!!!!!!!!!!! There are stripers in the lake :Envious:. Good job killing em buddy.

KPN.

fishinone
09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Ron,
So!!!!!!!!!!! There are stripers in the lake :Envious:. Good job killing em buddy.

KPN.

Not anymore! We took those stripers home.:Razz:

I see that we left some for you.

Lowe Boat
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm jeolous Ron. Let's go fishing on my boat ASAP!!!
Dan

Lowe Boat
09-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Good luck!

Let us know how you do.

Ron I'm Jelous. Lets go fishing on my boat
Dan

Lowe Boat
09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm jelous Ron. Call me. Lets go fishing on my boat ASAP!!!
Dan

ondal
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
i'm gehloos rawn. lets go fishing on my butt

fishinone
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm jelous Ron. Call me. Lets go fishing on my boat ASAP!!!
Dan

Dan,

That's hilarious. I like the many spellings. How do you spell jelous? I'll PM you.

i'm gehloos rawn. lets go fishing on my butt

Ondal,

Your scaring me!

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-14-2009, 03:23 PM
kill kill kill...slay slay slay.....make them motha's pay for the skunk trips in the past..

Nice job !
Gary

sreykmao562
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
nice going out there...now i need to get out there and give it a try :LOL: