PDA

View Full Version : Cachuma 9/5

Agro
09-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Got a late start but headed up to Cachuma for a little afternoon session. Per recommendation from the guys at the tackle shop, I headed to Santa Cruz bay to fish for Catfish.

Started at the buoy line for no bites, and eventually worked my way around to the rock wall. Had one good ripper on a nighcrawler but it didn't stick. Saw some guys catching a bunch of baby bass and talking about how they were going to put them in their pond.

Anyhow, the wind came up and I took a royal beating coming back to the marina in my little '14 skiff. Does the wind always blow at this lake? Seems like every time I go, I always take a beating coming back across.

Saw these huge carp at the dock so I decided to toss out a chunk of carp bait to see if they would eat it. Laid the rod down and proceeded to clean up the boat. Next thing I notice, the rod is doubled over and the drag is screaming. Figured I hooked one of those big carp but it ended up being a catfish about 5 pounds :LOL:

Had an audience at the marina as I battled this thing and finally got it to the boat.

Thinking about going back, but the wide open catfish bite that they posted in WON was nowhere to be found :Confused:

Anyone have any luck up there recently?

fishntoss
09-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Haven't been all this year up there, but ya, the wind always comes up in the afternoon...

Hometown
09-07-2009, 01:08 AM
the wind will blow most afternoons 2:00 to 5:00 find a cove and tuck

Agro
09-07-2009, 01:12 AM
On another note...

Is it legal to hunt carp with a bow at Cachuma? :Big Grin:

mickeysindahouse
09-07-2009, 01:21 AM
That's friggin' awesome to have caught the Catfish at the Dock. LOL, must have been a lots of fun. As for the wind, that place is always windy on the way and especially a feat on an aluminum boat.

I was just up there not too long ago. I camped there for a week and wanted to rent a boat but the heatwave was just too much to fry myself out on an aluminum boat. Instead I resorted to fishing in the mornings and nights (shore). I only managed to catch one nice catfish.

http://mickeysindahouse.com/fishing/cachuma09/cachuma12.jpg

exfactor
09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
When you start to use the wind as a tool, instead of an obstacle, your half there. For crappie, I don't even start to fish for them until it starts. We have been picking away at em most every time up, but took a break from the heat this last few weekends. The fall bite is very good.

Agro
09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
When you start to use the wind as a tool, instead of an obstacle, your half there. For crappie, I don't even start to fish for them until it starts. We have been picking away at em most every time up, but took a break from the heat this last few weekends. The fall bite is very good.

Ahhh very clever!

Now if I knew where and how to fish for them at this lake, I'd be doing good., because there is PLENTY of wind :LOL:

Any tips you can share on this technique would be greatly appreciated.