PDA

View Full Version : Castaic fishing 9/6/09

Lt25
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
So I went to Castaic around 5am this morning with a couple of friends and totally got skunked!! We were there til about 4pm. I was disappointed since this was the first time I got to fish all year. I haven't been doing good the past few fishing trips and I'm tired of not catching any fish! I don't know if we had the wrong kind of bait or what but we saw fish jumping everywhere (but it was too far for us to reach) There were some people next to us catching fish after fish! They were using live shad but they didn't really want to tell me where they got the shads. Do you catch them? if so, how?? I want to go again next weekend so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm just tired of not coming home with anything and having to hear the wife's infamous "I told you so.." =( please help

Fishthewhaler
09-06-2009, 07:20 PM
i wouldn't be too concerned with catching shad right now, that is a skill/beast all of its own!!! you need a shad net, not a throw net!(pool net style.)good ones are between 100 and 200, but then you'll need a bait tank to keep them in, another beast unless you have one already. Best thing is go to MDR and get a scoop of fresh sardine/chovies. Cut a bunch and fish small chunks flylined at the points. Lugwrorms, crawlers, bloodworms also killer. I would start shallow w/ wormage, and deeper with dines. Keep it moving every couple minutes, esp w/ the wormage. I did well in the more shallow water, and got several fish while cranking my worm back to the boat. Hit 10 points, and you'll pull out fish, Stay under 40 feet to start, I like it real shallow, under 20 feet. Just my 2 cents worth of advice. If they dont bite in 3o mins, I keep looking! THIS IS ALL BOAT STYLE FISHING< SHORE TACTICS DIFFER
FTW <*{{{{{>{
THE OLD SAYING IS 10% OF THE WATER HOLDS 90% OF THE FISH! JUST FIND THAT 10% AND YOU CONQUERED HALF THE BATTLE!

fishfinder
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
WARNING DO NOT CHUM, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
i have heard of the bait anglers getting there fish 100' deep, plus some nice cats to. fish on the bottem.

karlow
09-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I was there today, and did not do nearly as well as my last trip. We fished a few deep water spots for just a few fish (choives, not so fresh, no love for the NC). I trolled in both arms in the morning for just one dink. Not like last time. We had a few shots at boiling fish in the 4-6lb range, but they were gone in three sec! Latter in the day we went back on the troll with much improved results. By then my crew was tired, and the lake lice had turned the place into Long Beach harbor. We left by 2PM with one limit when things were looking up. What to drag? Wild eyed shad at 155 ft, white. Is that a good enough clue for you? If not try to do it about 35-55ft of water. If you need more help than that, try golf.

KP

Fishthewhaler
09-07-2009, 08:21 AM
warning do not chum, it is against the law.
I have heard of the bait anglers getting there fish 100' deep, plus some nice cats to. Fish on the bottem.

am i being officially warned? Haha'
I have never heard of any citation/ticket issued for chumming. I don't agree with creating a frggin slick across the lake, but some ones and twos off the point never hurt anybody. I should've giving out the correct legal way to slay stripeys> My bad

bing!
09-07-2009, 09:19 AM
If its illegal, just don't do it. Coz, just like your post, you'll be passing on this behaviour.