PDA

View Full Version : F/V Keilani Strikes again!

sansou
09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Shoved off at 3 a.m. out of SI onboard Webmaster Jeff's "F/V Keilani" (64 Glasspar he literally rebuilt every square inch himself!). Got what we considered a chinsy 1/2 scoop from Ebros (aka weekend holiday scoop).

Despite it being a holiday weekend, the donkey factor at the ramp wasn't as bad as we thought. I was worried about the traffic so as a precaution I rubber banded some chem lights on my 9 ft jig stick and put it in the rocket launcher.

Our game plan was to motor out to the 425, set trollers onway to the HB. Got to the 425, water was relatively flat, clean and 70 ish. Set a smorgasborg spread of 4, and low and behold, the bright green Zuker on the outrigger got bit with a small YFT, which I farmed right at the boat (we left it hanging while putting baits out, I think the hook wore a whole in his jaw). So much for the dark to dark, light to light theory... LOL

Eventually made it to the HB and saw an armada of PBers. Jeff opted to troll away from the crowd, and we were rewarded with finding a nice virgin paddy. Sure enough, we hooked up the minute our baits hit the water. Boils everywhere. It was a mad rush to get as many as we could as quickly as we could before the paddy got pressured (engine noise and people setting a drift 5 ft from a paddy). Before we knew it, we got company and the tuna sank. We landed 6 solid YFT on that paddy, with only I think 1 or 2 that were sub 20. The rest were solid 20s type fish.

As soon as the other boats rushed our paddy, the fish were spooked for us. We left and spent the day trolling and working whatever we could find. Toward the end of the day Jeff and I both farmed dorados. Jeff had hooked into a really big one, but it go away. No mammals today, and practically zero birds, and few jig strikes...it was all about finding a virgin paddy and keeping them around by chunking.

Plenty of fish metered deep, but I don't think anyone had consistant success on the jigs. We tried something different by fast trolling home, and got one more YFT on the cedar chavez. Motored in to the island middle grounds for a quick shot of YT (we did circles around the cattleboat "Indian" LOL), and got bit twice on a purple 111MR, but got shook off. Gave it a 1/2 hour of troll then called it quits. Drove the boat home, and this time I didn't manage to turn Jeff's truck & trailer in to a Uboat at the ramp.

Always a pleasure fishing with you Jeff, I always walk away learning something new about fishing, and again, another great day fishing aboard the F/V Keilani!

(Will get pics up shortly.)

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Nicely done Mr.Sou. I heard it was pretty WO a little south of the 425. Sucks that the kooks f'ed your bite, but that's a given on weekends like this. Don't know how fast yout fast troll was, but out Captain Dustin was trolling at 8 MPH which I though was d@mn fast.

JapanRon
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi sansou,

WTG on getting out and with our one and only WM Jeff too !! Sounds like you guys were loaded for bear to get those fish in at that rate. 5 ft from paddy ???? Yes, I can imagine that with selfish, ignorant guys who have a boat yet do not know how to fish. I wish they would stay clueless all their fishing lives if only it didn't also impact others. Hearing about the divers jumping into a paddy just kill me too !! Guess I don't need to ask my standard 'rubber' question.

Heard lots of good things about the Indian and it's top-rate skipper. Dan Hernandez uses that boat 4 or 5 times a Summer for filming his TV show .... maybe you guys will get a chance to be on TV that would be sooooo cool !!

Thanks for the report and await the pics,

JapanRon

Troutman65
09-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Nice going Rich & Jeff. That sucks about the other chumps bum rushing your patty. Looking forward to the photos

sansou
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
CalicoKevin: On this day the fishing was WO if you got on a virgin paddy, or at least a paddy that was left alone for a while AND still had bait. We heard reports of boats motoring up from the trench towards us with only 1 fish. Some guys did well closer inshore chasing porps & birds, and in fact, some 3/4 day sporties did extremely well.

Japan Ron: you are soooo correct about some guys owning far more boat than they have skills for. You see it all the time and you hear it on the radio. It's pretty comedic stuff to listen to, until you realize that they are heading towards your paddy at full steam! As for artificials, I only brought the heavy stuff (30lb and up) which didn't give me a chance with plastics. Tried a bit of yo-yo and burning jigs across the surface to no avail.

sansou
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice going Rich & Jeff. That sucks about the other chumps bum rushing your patty. Looking forward to the photos

Thanks Patrick. Bum rushed paddying is kinda par for the course on a holiday weekend. What matters is we got near limits before it shut down...so I guess I can't whine too much about it.

deanhall32
09-06-2009, 06:26 PM
You 2 guys have been having some pretty good luck this year!! I'm just wondering if you got donkey punched on the way out??

sansou
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
You 2 guys have been having some pretty good luck this year!! I'm just wondering if you got donkey punched on the way out??

Thanks Dean.

I'll never forget the time I got donkey punched in my sleep on that cattleboat. C'mon, who does that? I can't help it that I snore a little...

Good luck on your upcoming Orion trip. Don't let DavidE donkey punch you or try to give you a "Sshhhh...keep it amongst us friends" shocker.

victor101
09-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Nice write up Rich...Post the Pr0n already! You sure had a fishy summer!:Envious:

webmaster
09-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Here is a couple pics from the trip:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=15179&stc=1&d=1252294100

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=15180&stc=1&d=1252294100

ghetto dad
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Im hurt....you lied to me rich! :Sad:

GD

Mr Bendo
09-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work guys! At least you got got a few.

bam bam
09-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a nice day on the water. Congrats on the fish. We need to get out on pat's boat again and do some killing.

TroutOnly
09-07-2009, 10:51 AM
GREAT JOB RICH AND JEFF,,,,,,,I NEED SOME OF THAT ACTION,,,,,,,,,,t/o

GeordyBass
09-07-2009, 11:33 AM
NICE JOB GUYS!
Lets see Pics of the boat!

sansou
09-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Im hurt....you lied to me rich! :Sad:

GD

LOL...I promised you I would release something and take a pic for you. Well, Jeff caught a skippy and just when he was letting that purple thing go, I realized I should have taken a pic for you. Besides, we "long distance" released a couple of dorado. LOL!

I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!! Nice work guys! At least you got got a few.

Patrick, one of these days we'll get out on the salt together. I always enjoy fishing trout with you. You are one of the most hardcore trouters I know on this board.

Sounds like a nice day on the water. Congrats on the fish. We need to get out on pat's boat again and do some killing.

Absolutely! I had a great time fishing with you last time. Lots of laughs and a few fish tossed in to boot!

GREAT JOB RICH AND JEFF,,,,,,,I NEED SOME OF THAT ACTION,,,,,,,,,,t/o

No umbrella rigs here!

Give the striper genocide a break and come down south and get the big fish while they are around! Let Jeff guide you, and he'll teach you a few tricks for sure!

Liteliner
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice Job rich. Very good looking tunas. THanks for the report.

BTW... Never got the bigeye i was hopin for...:Sad:

paDDy
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice going out there Rich! Farmy, Big Red and I are going to give it a shot tomorrow as long as the weather stays cool.

DavidE
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Don't let DavidE donkey punch you or try to give you a "Sshhhh...keep it amongst us friends" shocker.

LOL ... Dude too bad you couldn't make this one!!!!