PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside Harbor 9/4 Opaleye Summer Continues

Natural Lefty
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
With Labor Day weekend coming up, I wanted to go fishing Friday at some place where the weather wouldn't be too hot, and the traffic and crowds would not be too bad, nor would the fishing. I decided to head for Oceanside again, but when I left the house, I wasn't sure whether I would go back to the harbor, or the Agua Hedionda Lagoon. By the time I got to Oceanside, I didn't feel like going the extra few miles to Carlsbad, so I just went to my usual spot in the harbor, with its hordes of Opaleyes.

It was about 4 p.m. by the time I got there (left home at 2:30 after attending to other issues). This time, I brought a bag of frozen peas to try for the Opaleye. If you notice, I usually try to do something different every time I go fishing, to learn something new and break up the monotony. I also had the leftover Mussels from my previous ocean fishing trip which I knew work well as bait.

At first, I had a conventional bobber setup with a long leader, and put Mussel on the jighead. I got a few bites, and when I put on some peas along with the Mussle, a Topsmelt bit and I caught it. I kept it for future bait. Hmm, I guess Smelt like peas, but the Opaleyes weren't exactly jumping on the hook.
After awhile, I went to the nearby Sportfishing Pier, and put on a Sabiki Rig baited with Mussels. After that, it was an immediate Bang! Bang! Bang! Soon, I had brought in three eager little Kelp Bass which I promptly put back. While I was there, I set up one of my Rip Rap Rigs, this time with a swivel which slides up and down the line, and as usual, my smiley face bobber at the end of the line. I used a short leader with a snelled hook and fairly heavy line, which I later discovered was a mistake.

I went back to my usual Opaleye spot along the shore, carefully avoiding the unstable rock which tipped me over last time. I sidestepped the unstable rock and found a better place to stand below it. I could see Opaleyes flitting about, but they would not bite. When I threw peas in the water as chum, I was disappointed to find out that most of them floated. Even those few which sank, were ignored by the Opaleyes. I guess they weren't in the mood to feed on peas. They didn't seem to want anything to eat, in fact. When I put peas on my hook, the fish totally ignored it, except for the Topsmelt. When I put Mussel on, I kept seeing Opaleye approach the bait, take a look at it, and back away. Eventually, around 6 p.m. I realized that my leader was probably too short and too heavy. Thus, I tied a new leader using four pound line, and a tiny jig (size 16 hook) on about a one foot leader, with a swivel attaching the rig to the main line, which was 8 pound test (my Shakespeare Agility rod and reel setup which I really like).

As soon as I put on this new setup, an amazing change in the Opaleyes' attitude occurred. I was astonished as 3 or 4 Opaleyes raced to be the first to eat my Mussel. I guess I was too astonished, as I missed the first one. But I cast out what little was left of my Mussel, and promptly caught the "winner" of the second race to the bait. Three more Opaleyes quickly followed, as in their mob mentality, racing each other to the bait, they seemed to throw caution to the tide, and made sure the other ones would not get the bait by inhaling the whole thing hook and all. A couple of times, I set the hook too hard and broke the hook off, before I realized that I didn't need to set the hook so hard. With my Rip Rap Rig, since the leader slides, one needs to set the hook somewhat harder than normal, but I guess not that much harder. After I had caught 4 decent sized Opaleyes, about 1/4 to 1/2 pound each, they stopped rushing the bait, and went more into nibble mode. I think by that time, all the ones in my little fishing area had eaten some of my bait. All of the Opaleyes that I caught were in one small area, about 5 by 5 feet, I would say, ranging from about 2 to 7 feet from shore. I tried fishing outside of this area, but nothing bit. I tried peas instead of Mussel, but nothing bit on peas, either. Thus, I must conclude that at least on this occasion, Mussels were far superior Opaleye bait to peas. I thought about going to one of two other spots where I had seen a concentration of Opaleyes, but for some reason, never did. I think the little kid in me wanted to stay in my spot, watch the fish bite, and see what I could catch, as long as they kept biting on my leftover Mussels. I did catch one more little Kelp Bass, which bit really hard, then finally, one more Opaleye that nibbled a bit too heavily. That was it for the catching, but the biting continued, and I think there were probably another 20 or so Opaleyes which I fed dinner to in my one small fishing area.

I finally decided it was time to head back around 7:30. I gave one last try in which I let the fish bite longer before I responded. That was a mistake, as when I finally tried to hook the fish that was biting, I found it had gotten my hook into a jam that even my Rip Rap Rig couldn't get out of. Eventually, I broke the leader off, but at least got my smiley face bobber back. That was my only snag of the day, so my rig worked really well.

When I turned on my car engine, it was 7:45 p.m., and since I had forgotten to bring any drinks with me, I was really thirsty. Oceanside was surprisingly warm that day, although not as hot as Moval. I drank two bottles of water my wife had left in the cupholders, and it actually tasted sweet. It must be the memory of Eunice that made the water sweet. :Smile: Still, I wish it had been spring water in the Sierras, the best water I have ever had to drink. Oh well! When I got home, I was still thirsty, so I drank lots of Iced Tea and Powerade, making for a mostly liquid dinner.

Since somebody said that Opaleyes make great Sashimi, I tried one Sashimi style yesterday (Saturday), with soy sauce and wasabi. It tasted good and fresh, although the texture was rather stringy, for some reason, so I decided to fry up the rest of the fillets in Corn Starch and my special mix of Whatever Looks Good. They fillets weren't as chewy once cooked that way, and really tasty.

By the way, I had other responsibilities to attend to yesterday, so wasn't able to get around to this report until today, but it's only one day late.

The catch results were: 5 medium size Opaleyes all kept, 4 undersize Kelp Bass quickly released, and 1 Topsmelt kept for future bait.

All in all, it was a pretty successful trip, and the traffic wasn't bad for me.

smokehound
09-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Opaleye are cool fish.

I remember tossing a pea near a school of them at dana point harbor, one of them swam up to the pea as it was sinking, then it swam back and sort of "told" the school there was food there.

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 03:58 PM
That's pretty cool dude. Your fascination with these fish is interesting. Why, may I ask?

Natural Lefty
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Kevin, it's basically just because there are lots of them and I have figured out how to catch them. I never fished that much for Opaleye before this summer. I have always liked them, but I don't care that much what I am catching, as long as I catch something. :Smile:

Smokehound, I don't doubt that. They seem to be very social fish. They could really tell the difference in the line. I had never seen that effect be so obvious before.

sansou
09-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice write-up!

Good job on catching the Opaleye. A well sought after fish amongst the pier folk!

old pudd fisher
09-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I seen your post but haven't read it yet, you might say I'am saving the best till last they are so injoyable. I will read it just before bed time and maybe I will have some nice fishing dreams tonight.....Thanks.

Natural Lefty
09-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Old Pudd Fisher, are you serious? That is quite a compliment. I have fishing dreams sometimes, for instance where I am catching one giant Golden Trout after another, but then I wake up.

Sansou, I do fish from piers sometimes, but I have found better fishing from the shore recently. However, you are correct, lots of pier folks like to fish for Opaleye.

Kevin, I thought of something else. I am not 100% certain, but I believe Opaleyes are of some special scientific interest. I seem to recall a few months ago, somebody from another state wrote to Ken Jones of the Pierfishing in California website asking for someone to donate some Opaleyes to her for research purposes. I think it was Opaleyes, anyway. I think they are the only members of their family, the Nibbler Family, found in California, except for possibly the Zebra Perch, so they are unusual. I do tend to be a sort of amateur Ichthyologist, so I do get into studying the fish I catch, or want to catch.

smokehound
09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
half-moons are also in the nibbler (opaleye and kin) family

One little-known fact about opaleyes is they have the ability to breathe air, they gained this ability to survive being stranded in tidepools.

Many of california's marine fishes are very close relatives.

California Sheephead, Blacksmiths, Garibaldi, and surfperches are all extremely closely related.

Cichlids like Tilapia, and freshwater angelfish are also related to them.

Just thought you guys would be surprised that they are such close relatives.

Natural Lefty
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Smokehound, here is what the book my brother gave me about fish and fishing says: "The family called Girellidae, aptly called Nibblers, includes about a dozen other species, one of which occurs in the Gulf of California; the others are found in the Indo-pacific region, principally off the coast of eastern Asia." It goes on to say that the Surfperch family is called Embiotocidae, with 19 marine species off California, The Halfmoon is of the family Scorpidae, and the Blacksmith is a Damselfish. Sheephead are Wrasses. The family to which the Garibaldi belong wasn't mentioned. I know that Cichlids are related to Sunfish, but I don't know how they are related to these other fish.

Thus, according to what I have in hand (which is admittedly rather out of date), Opaleyes and Halfmoon are in different families, and it's not clear how these other species are related, but all of them belong to different families. I know there are larger groupings of fish to which all of these belong. I saw somewhere that the Salmonoids, for instance, are related to the minnows, such as Carp, and Pike under a larger category. I guess I need to do more research on fish evolution, but I have lots of activities on my agenda already. :Confused: Perhaps you could enlighten us with more details. :Smile:

It's interesting that Opaleyes can breath air. I wonder if that was why that Ichthyologist was doing research on them. It makes sense that this ablility would evolve in them, because the babies are often in little tidepools.

TShaffer
09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I've also found that mussel outfishes peas in terms of opaleye...at least in my experiences. Awesome report.

calico killer kevin
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the reply NL. A while back, when the tides were super low, all the water around the Bolsa Chica Jetty would drain out in to the channel, leaving a giant tide pool under the rocks. I noticed that there were these small black fish in there, so I pulled some 2lb and size 20 hooks from my backpack and started handlining them. I was using bits of mussels and they were loving every bit of it. I chummed up a bunch and even got some nicer 2.5" models to show up haha. One would nip at the chum and when the rest realized that it was food, they swarmed it. Very social fish for sure. Caught a couple 1-2.5" and called it a day with no skunk.:LOL: Very cool little guys and would be absolutely PERFECT in an aquarium.

BTW, King's Harbor has a rather large population of them. Nearby the transition from the harbor to the docks, many larger models lurk. They love mussels, but don't ever fish anything over 6lb line. They absolutely won't bite it. If you switch to 2lb or 4lb, take my word for it, you will get many, many more bites and hookups. Your improv rig is great, now with a 2 or 4lb leader...

Natural Lefty
09-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Kevin, for a moment, I thought you meant you were catching 1 - 2 1/2 pounders, not 1 - 2 1/2 inchers. :LOL: Well, we can't always catch the big ones. I certainly don't. Yes, I have had the same observation that many ocean species of fish are very social, with Opaleyes being one of the most social. They have a mob mentality when it comes to feeding. It reminds me of how cats or dogs want to eat when people are around. I think Bluegills get into a sort of feeding frenzy at times, too, among freshwater fish.

Before that last fishing trip, I had not realized how line sensitive Opaleyes are. Interestingly, the Bass and Smelt were not very line sensitive. The difference was like night and day when I switched to 4 pound line. Also, I concur with TSchaffer that mussels work much better for Opaleye for me. My informal experiment with peas and mussels demonstrated that clearly.

Opaleyes would make good saltwater aquarium fish, although I don't know about the legality of that. They would help keep the aquarium clean by eating the algae, they don't mind small spaces, are attractive and cute, and would eat a variety of foods. However, they might outgrow the aquarium unless that small tidy environment would stunt their growth considerably. I think the world record for Opaleye is over 13 pounds:EyePop:, similar to Calico Bass in size.

troutdog
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Great write up Lefty, I enjoyed reading it while enjoying a cup of coffee on my break....very well done! Congrats on the opaleye hunt. :Thumbs Up:

TD