PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Cattle

TroutChaser
06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
As previously posted I recently moved to ventura and purchased a boat to do some inshore fishing. Since I just got my new GPS (Garmen eTrex legend) I wanted to test it out. The only problem was I dont have many spots yet but I knew who would :titanic:

First I wanted to do some self exploration so out came the map and off I went 8) Second spot and a double bendo on decent size Vermillion. I fished that reef a while and hooked up several more rockfish. Next I wanted to drift.....

Went inshore a bit and setup for a drift from 90 to 40 feet along Hueneme Flatts area. I landed lots o sanddabs (one was huge I thought it was a hali I would say 2 Pounds, but after sticking my finger in its mouth to be sure it turned out to be a big ol dab.).. Next fish landed was a 20 inch Hali Why is it so hard to break the 20 inch mark??? After that landed a couple macs (yes there here) on the kroc and began the journey home until......

I spotted Jrodda on a local Moo Moo that was metering an area for quit some time. When the captain made a 360 and dropped anchor, I decided to drop in :roll: I was pretty close but within earshot when I hear the Capt. yell angrilly " what you want a hamburger,"as he grabbed His rig with a heavy iron :evil: ... After locking on to the coordinates I decided to leave em alone and get my sunburned arse out of the sun.

so whats the deal with PB's and Moo- moo's? Friends or foes? what space if any should I leave them realizing irons can hurt my skull???

only one pic sense camera/phone was left in the vehicle....

CHASER

fish tacos

JapanRon
06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Trout Chaser,

Welcome to the water world of that eternal battle between PBers 'right to fish anywhere that's legal' and moo-moos 'right to the persuit of a livelyhood with the right of precedesence on the water'.

What's close? What's considered sniping fishing spots? What's considering violating a chum line?

The above are decided on a case by case basis. The only thing a PBer can do to reduce mutual problems is to become an experienced and skilled boater/angler. Sometimes moo-moo skippers are exhasperated by unskilled PBers actions and at times moo-moo skippers are jerks reacting to not being able to get their own way ... regardless of 'rights'.

Watch the moo-moos and how they operate and this will make co-existing easier.

PS: Following them from the harbor exit really burns them and they will remember you on the fishing grounds!! :shock:

Happy fishing days,

JapanRon

ThanksKK
06-29-2007, 10:35 PM
If you're close enuf to hear what the captain says, then you're probably too close. Anyways, next time ask him if fries come with the burger. :)

one_leg
06-29-2007, 10:37 PM
If you're close enuf to hear what the captain says, then you're probably too close. Anyways, next time ask him if fries come with the burger. :)

:twisted: that's not funny.....LoL

I bet those fish tasted real good. Better than usual?

One_Leg

JapanRon
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi one_leg,

Oh .......... ya ..... with one's own boat and having got iced up and ready for keeping the fish in tip-top shape ...... It's sushi time for many species!! Yum ! :)

JapanRon

Ambassadorhawg
06-30-2007, 02:14 PM
The one on the right is definately a Red-dog. The one on the left doesn't really look like a Red or a Swallowtail.

TroutChaser
06-30-2007, 02:19 PM
pretty sure there the same variety. They both came up together on the same line and looked exactly alike.. The shadow from my tree may make them look different.

thanks for the confirmation.
CHASER

Ambassadorhawg
06-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't doubt you Bro.

dschmaltz
06-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Go easy on the moo moo's. I have always tried to keep my distance and actually try not to fish with them. If you have a small boat, you can fish where they can't so take advantage of that.

I never gave Moo Moo's serious thought until a went with a friend on a half-day out of Long Beach. I witnessed a deck hand having a game of tossing a tady 45 at PB'ers that were to close to him. He nailed a guy that was too close right in the cheek. I was thinking LAWSUIT or Larry H. Parker time, but he didn't seem to care.

Keep your distance; some of them are friendly and some will run practically run over you if you have dropped anchor where they want to be.

fishincrave
06-30-2007, 09:22 PM
hey dude congrats on your move and boat the oil rigs should be good for calicos in carpentaria area or in ventura harbor for nice butts i wana go with ya some time lol good luck

GillyGreen
07-01-2007, 12:06 PM
it is a funny thing.. There are a number of courteous sport boats and a number of them are not.. I have had way too many slide right up on us in a bite and yell at us for being too close.. or running over our lines to get inside of us. I can understand why they can be a-holes to private boaters because there are a large number of idiot private boaters out there.. try Catalina on a summer day fishing yellows.. i coulda chummed sardines into passing boats last year while fishing yellows. i see too many pbers sliding right on top of paddies while offshore while everyones bit drifting off of them... its ridiculous... People with money buying boats, that dont know how to use them and lack any common courtesy. Yes i am guilty of bad anchor jobs when there are fish crashing or just straight chaos, but i pull and reset.. give em space , dont anchor in their chumlines(it will help you get bit too) because the last time i checked most pbers cant hold 100 scoops of bait. just common courtesy is all... it is Illegal for any persons to intentionally sling iron at you. they are trying to cause you physical harm. take down their cf numbers or boat name imediately report the incident. We can all get along on the water with a little help from each other...

mike

Tail Chaser
07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Go easy on the moo moo's. I have always tried to keep my distance and actually try not to fish with them. If you have a small boat, you can fish where they can't so take advantage of that.

I never gave Moo Moo's serious thought until a went with a friend on a half-day out of Long Beach. I witnessed a deck hand having a game of tossing a tady 45 at PB'ers that were to close to him. He nailed a guy that was too close right in the cheek. I was thinking LAWSUIT or Larry H. Parker time, but he didn't seem to care.

Keep your distance; some of them are friendly and some will run practically run over you if you have dropped anchor where they want to be.
Ive got a Tady 15 ready to fire back if need be :lol:
Actually, Nobody should be within casting distance of any other boat