PDA

View Full Version : International Star 1.5 Day 8/4-8/6

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
We started the day at 6:30 about 80-90 from the Point and 40-50 miles offshore(I think). Trolled around for a while with a few strikes here and there. We started in 70.5* water, but were looking for 71.5*. As soon as we found it, two went off and we hit a wide open bite for about 10-15min. Skippies were the majority with YFT quite close as well. Picked about 4-5 skips and 1 YFT at that spot. Left trolling for a while again and got knocked down about every 5-10min, but they were all skips. Around 12:00, we started hitting YFT on the feathers and cedar plugs. Picked a few here and there, but seemed like only the skips wanted my offerings. Next stop was on a patty the size of a sink. First two drops for me resulted in 2 YT and skips on every other. We were still getting jig strikes every 10-15min, but they were all skips again. Next patty was dry was holding a few YFT, YT, and dodos, but they weren't too willing. Buddy got the only dodo of the day, and I ended up with a YFT. Metered a school, so we trolled through and it was game on. They were all over the place, but we only got a handful. I think I got a YFT at that spot. Chased the school down and at 5:00 the bite went absolutely wide. They were biting anything on a long soak and after two YFT, I got abosutely dogged by a big one. Took me 15 min to get him to the surface and once he saw the boat he spiraled down, shredding my line. After another 10min or so, zing pow...Had to be at least 40. Well, pulled out another after that and we ran out of bait. Absolutely done. They were biting dead bait too, but we didn't even have any of those. One of the last hookups was a 45lb JP contender which was caught on 25lb and a fish trap. Crazy. I fished the rubber for a while too, but to no avail. JP went to a fish that edged his by about 2-3lbs. Last stop were quality fish and few skips, but bait was gone, so...

My total: 6 YFT 15-30lbs
2 YT about 7-8lbs each
More skippies than I can count with my fingers and toes.
All on dines, 2/0 owners, and 30lb string
Dad's total: 2 YFT 20-25lbs
2 YT same size as mine
Boat total: Limits of YFT
Maybe 15-20 YT
1 Dodo
Too many skippies
Couple of

Asides:
Crew was great.
Very few casualties due to tangles
I only lost one tuna.
Pretty choppy in the afternoon.
Didn't get seasick, suprisingly. Only took one dramamine to put myself to bed the night before.
Boat was big, but could use some work.
Shower was ummm...a joke?
Bunks were nice, but freezing as hell. Dude left his boots in there after fishing and an hour later, they were covered in frost. Bring a sleeping bag.
Breakfast: Burritos
Lunch: Burgers
Dinner: Lasagne and salad with key lime pie and hershey's pie for desert.
Ran out of bait at 6:00?:Confused:
No bluefin.
Nice Day altogether.

fish4keep
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
WOW. out of bait.... the boat must've chum like crazy or didn't bring enough...... Good to hear you and your pop got some..........

JapanRon
09-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Calico Killer Kevin,

Nice job on the fish, trip, and report. Sounds like a great crew and decent boat.

Appreciate the details !!

WTG on giving the rubber a try. I'd think a straight-down drop w/2oz leadhead n' 7-inch swimmie on a jig stop would be the bomb !

JapanRon

Troutman65
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Nice report. Congrats on your catch. How could it be that cold in the bunk area?:Shocked: Thanks for sharing your report :Cool:

sansou
09-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you had some fun!

I'm a little suprised that you guys didn't put some albacore on the boat from a month ago, but then again you guys were in warm water.

Too bad on the big farmed YFT....this has been one of those seasons where the YFT have been larger than usual, with sizes ranging from peewy to 45lb+ brutes. IMO, good signs for another long YFT season.

Is the International Star one of those boats with the shower in the head?(you practically sit on the toilet seat while showering?) Not sure of if I've ever stepped foot on that boat...just wondering. Besides, who showers on a 1.5 day! LOL!

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Yeah TM65, it was f'ing FREEZING and since I didn't bring a sleeping bag, I had to use their 2mm blankets... Every one agreed that it needed to be turned off for the second night.

Will try that next time JR. Just so hard to get away from what's working.

F4K, they didn't even chum that much. Other than troll hookups, most were onesies and twosies. Sucks because that last spot was kicking out 20-25lbs all the way to a couple 40's, but the best part were that there were very few skips.

Sounds like you had some fun!

I'm a little suprised that you guys didn't put some albacore on the boat from a month ago, but then again you guys were in warm water.

Too bad on the big farmed YFT....this has been one of those seasons where the YFT have been larger than usual, with sizes ranging from peewy to 45lb+ brutes. IMO, good signs for another long YFT season.

Is the International Star one of those boats with the shower in the head?(you practically sit on the toilet seat while showering?) Not sure of if I've ever stepped foot on that boat...just wondering. Besides, who showers on a 1.5 day! LOL!
People who actually catch fish and get bloody.:LOL: Nah JK.:LOL: Showers were worse. It wwas a tiny head over the sink... We started calling it a lefty righty.:LOL:

Hopefully the season will be long. Even though my dad was fighting the sickness for most of the trip, he loved it and wants to do it again in a few weeks.

Oh so close to convincing him that we need to upgrade the whole aresenal to Saltigas.:Envious:

troutdog
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Nice job out there...was this 8/4 or 9/4?(Aug or Sept)...if it was 8/4 then your reports are later than mine! :LOL:

TD

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Nice job out there...was this 8/4 or 9/4?(Aug or Sept)...if it was 8/4 then your reports are later than mine! :LOL:

TD
Haha you're right. Noticed that a second too late.

JapanRon
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi again Calico Killer Kevin,

Just a hint to you and to others .... if you screw up your title as I have a number of times it CAN be CORRECTED !!

Here's how:

1) Click the 'edit' button on your thread.
2) Locate the 'Go Advance' button (at the bottom of the thread) and click it.
3) Go up to the Title line and correct the title. If asked why the edit ... you can just give the reason.
4) Go back down and click 'save' which will be all you'll need to do.

Hope you'll do it just for the excercise !!

JapanRon

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi again Calico Killer Kevin,

Just a hint to you and to others .... if you screw up your title as I have a number of times it CAN be CORRECTED !!

Here's how:

1) Click the 'edit' button on your thread.
2) Locate the 'Go Advance' button (at the bottom of the thread) and click it.
3) Go up to the Title line and correct the title. If asked why the edit ... you can just give the reason.
4) Go back down and click 'save' which will be all you'll need to do.

Hope you'll do it just for the excercise !!

JapanRon
You're the man JR. Appreciate it.