PDA

View Full Version : Spear Fishing/Hawaiian Sling legal in Sierras?

Ragetron
09-05-2009, 10:40 PM
So I took a few friends and family members to get on some fish at Convict today, which was WFO all day for us. But what I wondered is spear fishing or fishing with a "hawaiian sling" ( I think thats what it is called) legal in the sierras. I saw three guys fishing this way back by the inlet at Convict. One of them kept swimming right over our lines. (We had words). I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure it was illegal but would like to know for future reference. Anybody have info?

tacklejunkie
09-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I bet those people were not intending on fishing until they saw fish in the water. At which point they probably picked up some walking sticks and started in on the fish.

I don't believe "taking" fish with a hawaiin sling is legal. (akin to shooting fish?)
I don't believe it would necessarily be easy either. :LOL:

bsp
09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
So I took a few friends and family members to get on some fish at Convict today, which was WFO all day for us. But what I wondered is spear fishing or fishing with a "hawaiian sling" ( I think thats what it is called) legal in the sierras. I saw three guys fishing this way back by the inlet at Convict. One of them kept swimming right over our lines. (We had words). I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure it was illegal but would like to know for future reference. Anybody have info?

It's illegal in CA except in the Colorado river for some specific fish.

Ragetron
09-06-2009, 12:32 PM
They had full gear: wetsuits, goggles, fins, snorkels, and what looked like hawaiian slings. Not homemade. And I saw them get at least two trout. Little stockers.

Hometown
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
That really pxxxxx me off

Hunt4Fish
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
From the DFG website.........

To Report a Poacher or Polluter
If you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, immediately dial the toll free CalTIP number

1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Be prepared to give the fullest possible account of the incident including the name, address, age and description of the suspect, vehicle description, direction of travel, license number, type of violation and when and where it occurred. You do not have to give your name.

Ragetron
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah I know how to alert DFG, and have done it before a couple times. Problem is I wasn't absolutely sure it was illegal and I was a half hour hike from my car and another ten minute drive to cell phone service. I don't think they had any idea that what they were doing was illegal, cause they sure weren't hiding it. But it did kind of piss me off.

thanks for the info.

BRAD

smokehound
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
what the hell, if i saw that, they would be dead meat.