PDA

View Full Version : SARL 09-04 evening session

cklovetofish
09-04-2009, 11:14 PM
It is WFO. Go get them

saintarv
09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Man that sucks. Were you guys using different baits and still no fish?

92yj
09-05-2009, 06:27 AM
What a disappointing evening today was.
We were there with a big group (6 guys) with 15 rods lining up half the width at the shore we were at.
By sunset, there were some of nibblings, and by dark, the guy that usually got the least fish got 4 fish. I only got 1. The rest none, zip.
We fish until 10:30 pm and not even a single nibble on any of the 15 rods since the last fish. Come on, almost 3 hours and nothing!
SARL staff told us that they stocked the fish yesterday and today.
Either they are lying, or the full moon put out a curse on us and the rest of the people on the lake.
For the last 3 hours only saw 2 fish total pulled by other people. I hope SARL did not put the big lure ($9.95 on Fridays) and we bit it big time.

ok 6 guys 2 rods each? there should only be 12 rods in the water! its not cool to brake the rules.

whiskers77
09-05-2009, 12:08 PM
It was probably the full moon, I have never had good luck fishing on a full moon, but that is just me.

smokehound
09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I was there too, and no love on anchovies, mackerel. They were biting nightcrawlers but they wouldnt take the whole worm.

The people next to me were slaying them with mealworms.

They were using a high-low rig. I was using a C-rig, and it just wasnt workin.

Oh well i'll be there next friday, and this time im gonna get some mealworms, as well as use a high-low setup.

lilmystery246
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM
You and your freaking rules. But for your info, only 11 rods with bait are in the water at one time. You go and tell the staff to put in the fish as they are said or suppose to.
I guess you never drive past 65 mph.
Get a life and do what it takes to get some fish.

less rods = more fish... havent you figured that out yet? cheap fisherman.

vanillagurilla
09-05-2009, 02:32 PM
maybe you shoulda tried moving??

cklovetofish
09-05-2009, 04:50 PM
We did. Not all of us though. We sent scouts out to different spots and same difference.

Must be the full moon.

92yj
09-05-2009, 09:08 PM

lol lol lol i was there 2 weeks ago and got 3 limits............... as i see it since i don't eat them i just trow them back and get another one..........i just don't know why is so hard there the fish are in water.lol lol

smokehound
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
The catfish were everywhere, but they were most numerous on the east shoreline.

Very few people caught anything on the north shore. they were all less than 20 feet within the shoreline. Unlike most fish, catfish have an acute sense of hearing. I had fish rolling around right next to the shore, in front of me. Catfish DO hit c-rigs, but its alot easier if you use a setup with hanging hooks, because catfish arent true bottomfeeders, they are active opportunistic predators, this behavior is best seen in flathead cats.

hoytrecurver
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM

Very few people caught anything on the north shore. they were all less than 20 feet within the shoreline. Unlike most fish, catfish have an acute sense of hearing. I had fish rolling around right next to the shore, in front of me. Catfish DO hit c-rigs, but its alot easier if you use a setup with hanging hooks, because catfish arent true bottomfeeders, they are active opportunistic predators, this behavior is best seen in flathead cats.

I have not heard of hanging hooks. How do you rig your setup for hanging hooks?

catfish 17
09-05-2009, 10:44 PM
hey man its cool about the fridays deal. i mean y not go when u could fish for cheaper u know?but ignore all those other people on here. their jzt hating!

smokehound
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.fishing-tips-bait-tackle.com/images/3_way_swivel_5.jpg

Like this, only with longer leaders.

calico killer kevin
09-06-2009, 03:37 PM
You and your freaking rules. But for your info, only 11 rods with bait are in the water at one time. You go and tell the staff to put in the fish as they are said or suppose to.
I guess you never drive past 65 mph.
Get a life and do what it takes to get some fish.
WTF?:ROFL: I bet you never rob banks either.:ROFL: They have been known to "skimp", but just because you aren't catching fish, doesn't mean they're not in there.

I appreciate your report and would love to read another in the future, but don't twist your stories. It's your choice whether or not to post. You want a pat on the back? Good job...

Once again, WTF?:ROFL: Yep, only people who fish Cumaras and Curados catch fish. Don't forget your roots bro. You weren't always fishing quality gear and alot of people can't afford it. Tackle doesn't catch fish, fisherman do.

You two are funny people. If you can fish within the rules and seriously want some tips, PM me.

smokehound
09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Those damn martians LOL

Try using a high/low setup, as catfish have a terminal mouth, they are actually mid-level feeders.

Your standard surf/pier rig is perfect for cats.

Mondo21
09-07-2009, 04:32 PM

That could of been where they stocked the fish,east shoreline. Cindy:Smile:

Mondo21
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
[quote=cklovetofish;384243]What a disappointing evening today was.
We were there with a big group (6 guys) with 15 rods lining up half the width at the shore we were at.

You'll score next time around, good luck! Cindy:Big Grin:

La-Califa
09-09-2009, 12:49 PM
ok 6 guys 2 rods each? there should only be 12 rods in the water! its not cool to brake the rules. lake rules state 2 rods per fisherman is allowed.

La-Califa
09-09-2009, 12:51 PM
By the way I was one the Eastern lake & got nothing. Nightcrawlers & Chicken Livers. Second Friday in a row I got skunked there.

fisherman from long beach
09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
i thought that was a myth, until last weekend hit up king harbor 2 dinks,hit up nph in the tube couple hits and nada.i will never go out on a full moon again,and people relaxe a lil on cklovetofish,just sharing his info on not so epic fish trip

hoytrecurver
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
http://www.fishing-tips-bait-tackle.com/images/3_way_swivel_5.jpg

Like this, only with longer leaders.

Thanks for the picture! I'll try that next time I'm there. Not sure when that will be since I've been going to NPH more often.

TShaffer
09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
It is WFO. Go get them

Wow. Complete reversal from what this report used to say.

saintarv
09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
It is WFO. Go get them

What happened bro?

cklovetofish
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
What happened bro?
Well, it seems to me that there are a lot of readers (not fish reporters) here that are only interest in if someone break or violate any rules than the fish report itself. Also there are someone only know how to redicule or criticize other people instead of reporting the fishing trips. Therefore, I reversed the report and cut out all the details just to see if anyone here interest into how the fishing is.

fisherman from long beach
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, it seems to me that there are a lot of readers (not fish reporters) here that are only interest in if someone break or violate any rules than the fish report itself. Also there are someone only know how to redicule or criticize other people instead of reporting the fishing trips. Therefore, I reversed the report and cut out all the details just to see if anyone here interest into how the fishing is.
rip into them a lil bit :Twisted:ive had a couple smart *** remarks sent my way and it really annoyed the **** out of me.

saintarv
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM

It's funny how some people pick and choose violating the rules. There are people who catch and release (trout & catfish) at a pay lakes and that's a violation of the rules but no one ridicules them. LOL

Marley
09-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Hope this isn't too far down the thread to get noticed or to help out, but here goes. Here's what works for me:

Catfish aren't supposed to be line-shy. That's why, when I catch more cats while fishing for trout than I do while out for cats, I use 2- and 4-pound tackle. I'm likely not to hook into anything whiskered that's bigger than 8 pounds at SARL, so I have a better-than-average shot at landing what I hook. It's lot more fun, too. (And I can land any trout they plant on the 4-lb, and likely on the 2-lb. as well.)
Catfish have an unbelievable sense of smell. I don't smoke any more so my hands don't emit an odor of tobacco. Or alcohol, for that matter. I'm not shy with the beer (or tequila, vodka, whiskey or, you get the picture), I'm just careful with it while out fishing. Same goes for people food. If it isn't on my hands, it isn't on my bait. And it shouldn't be on yours, either. I do not use a scent while fishing for catfish.
People say that mackerel is king. Whether that means saba or a secret handshake, it's still at the top of the bait list. Unless you're fishing with Marley. I carry it, but I always start with medium shrimp from the grocery store. I also carry marshmallows and mealworms. Those two baits catch 90% of the whiskers I catch and report on. The other 10% are caught on mack and my beloved nightcrawler (pinched, blown and C-rigged at 16".) I also carry chicken livers just in case. If I don't need them, someone fishing that spot tomorrow will think they've stumble onto the mother lode ;)
I love catching yellows and tuna. I hate using lead to get to them. I love catching catfish. I really don't like having to use lead to get to them. I flyline almost everything, except for the floating M&M's that require a small dose of lead.

All of that being said, it's still about location. I spent a lot of time finding my spots and I won't post them. Fishing SARL is a lot like shooting fish in a barrel, but you have to be on the side of the barrel that the fish are on.
Pay attention to what's going on around you while you're fishing, and pay attention to what others are doing. Catfish don't always hug the bottom...
And they don't always bite, either. They're living, breathing entities and have minds of their own (albeit very small, narrow ones, LOL.)
As for location, learn to read between the lines within the reports. NOTHING that's printed on fishing reports is meant to be read literally, whether it's SARL, LNL or Irvine (right, Steve Carson?) Use the webcams they offer to see who's catching what. Again, read between the lines...
Hope that helps. Good luck!

smokehound
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Very well said, marley.

There is a special reason why they dont allow you to release trout or catfish. There is a dangerous disease common in fish hatcheries called "Enteric Redmouth Disease"

It affects all fishes, freshwater, or marine. When you hook a catfish or a trout that has the disease, and release it, you expose every fish in the lake to this disease.

Its sorta like the fish version of ebola. High mortality rate, and very contagious.

Many times you cannot even see the symptoms, but the common symptoms are red sore spots around the head and pelvic fins, swollen, bloody eyes, and bleeding fins without signs of obvious damage. This disease is harmless to humans. Fish tend to bite each other and with a wound caused by a hook, it becomes much easier to spread.