PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Stripers 9/3

ondal
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I got to the upper lake around 6:30 and lugged my stupid cooler all the way out to that point about 15-20 minutes walk from the main launch ramp. Usually I'm strictly C&R but since I bagged some nice sized stripers over the last two weeks I wanted to see what they tasted like. The verdict? Delicious. But more on that later.

Using the two-pole system of bait-and-waiting with cut anchovies and having my KPN mini shad ready for the boils, I managed to land the dinkiest striper of all time. It looked like a small trout. I disgustedly threw it back in, temporarily forgetting I lugged that damn cooler. This was at about 8:00 a.m. or so. Half an hour later, I'm back in on the cut bait. Slightly better striper but still small. A friendly English-speaking Cambodian guy urged me to keep it and volunteered to take it off my hands if I didn't want it.

Cut to 9:30 a.m. and the first boil of the day kicks up but unfortunately it was too far out, about 70 yards from where we were. Of course, the boil attracts a bunch of johnny-come-latelys and a half dozen more Cambodian guys come out of the woodwork. Who's minding the donut shop, I thought to myself. :ROFL:

Anyway, it was a pretty slow day for boils for our location, we had one nice one within casting distance but I was late to the party and didn't get bit. Old Cambodian Man #3 landed a nice eight-pounder, however.

Those who stuck closer to the launch ramp fared a little better than we did, they had boils like clockwork, every 15 minutes or so in almost the exact same spot. It was pretty hilarious to watch the boats zoom off towards the boil 30 seconds to late, drift off a bit, boil, zoom off again. too late again. lol.

anyway, i stubbornly hung around for 90 minutes with no boil and then boom! mini boil right in front of me. I tossed out the KPN mini shad and immediately was like ****, too much power. but with the wind kicking up it turned out to be the perfect cast, right smack dab in the middle. Instant hookup! "Got 'em!" I yelled, to nobody in particular.

Cambodian #3 was so excited he forgot to open his bale on his spinning rig and casted about 1 foot in front of him. Hilarious. He then got it right the second time and cast it right over my line. WTF? I got his *** straightened out and moved as far away as possible from the mob as I could. Played the fish for about five minutes and landed him no problem. He weighed six pounds 10 oz. I then got my Korean *** out of there.

P.S. I've been lurking on this board awhile and recognized Panfish Junior. He was one of the Cambodians who came out of the woodwork. Didn't want to say anything about recognizing him lest he get a big head.

P.P.S. No pictures for now, might add them later. My PC is shot.

The End

fishfinder
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
great report

fish4keep
09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Rotflmfao.........

cappo
09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice report. Did you see any messicans out there also?