PDA

View Full Version : Huntin Beans & Butts in Oxnard 6/29

Fish4Birdies
06-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Went to my new spot in Oxnard for beans and butts today. Arrived around 11am and found a slew of kids from a day camp playing in the surf with surfboards and kayaks...they were having loads of fun. Felt like taking one of their yaks and trolling for butts :D In spite of all their activity, I was able to hook a 20" butt, a few dinks bsp and what I thought was going to be my pb butt turned out to be a 3 foot leo :x He bit, pulled drag and I fought it for about 10 minutes before I was able to see what I really had...sure was fun though! Came off just as I grabbed the line to drag him onto the sand. Couldn't find any decent sc's but the beans were out in force...couldn't get them to bite anything I had :cry: Gotta get some sc's before I go to my spot.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/morfgrub/Image049.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/morfgrub/Image046.jpg

paintnfish
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Cool report Bryan, that looks like mexico to me. I was
watching a guy get the beans on a makeral color kroc
the other day, might be worth a try if the crabs arent showing
up yet.

bones
06-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Good Report !
I know you usually use artificials....Did the Leo hit an artificial?

Hey....Were you in the NEW spot that you PM'd me about?
I hear that using fresh mussels is a good way to stick the beans when the SC's aren't around. I was thinking about heading out this weekend but the tides suck for the AM thing.Low tide at 6:30 am is perfect for collecting some mussels and them using them on the incomming tide :D

MMMMM...I think I just talked myself into heading to the beach with my 8yo daughter in the morning!
She has been asking me to take her fishing almost every day this week :D

p.s.
Feel free to PM me the details :D

SC400DUDE
06-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Damn,
I might hit that spot up after work Sunday....I've said it before and I'll say it again, those Beans are pretty big and they are tough to get on the hook. I've tried almost everything from 2 pound test floro to SC's to crouching down in the sand and they still WON'T bite!

Nice fish btw!

bones
06-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Damn,
I might hit that spot up after work Sunday....I've said it before and I'll say it again, those Beans are pretty big and they are tough to get on the hook. I've tried almost everything from 2 pound test floro to SC's to crouching down in the sand and they still WON'T bite!

Nice fish btw!

Try not sticking the sliders in front of you but rather casting to your side.
Once the beans are aware of your presense....It's a done deal :D
Basically what I'm saying is to treat them like native trout.
I know it's hard when there are no Crab beds to rely on. It's damn hard to predict where they are going to run in. When there are SC beds though I just toss my offerings right on top of the beds on the side of my position and wait for them to move in.

Fish4Birdies
06-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Yea, the leo hit a morfgrub...Ron, I have some blue and green krocs...I'm going to dig-up some sc's somewhere and save them...maybe get a couple of mussels at the market too :lol: Just to see if they work on those beans. Yup, SC400, some of those beans are 24"+...drive me nuts watching them :lol:

TroutChaser
06-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Thats my spot :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:
actually it gets hit hard right there.
Check your PM I live in the area and have a couple more spots for you :wink:

I saw the kids out as I was passing by in da boat. They were having a blast

SC400DUDE
06-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Damn,

Nice fish btw!

Try not sticking the sliders in front of you but rather casting to your side.
Once the beans are aware of your presense....It's a done deal :D
Basically what I'm saying is to treat them like native trout.
I know it's hard when there are no Crab beds to rely on. It's damn hard to predict where they are going to run in. When there are SC beds though I just toss my offerings right on top of the beds on the side of my position and wait for them to move in.

I'll try that next time bud, thanks for the tips :thumb:

SwisherFisher
07-01-2007, 11:57 AM
what is a BEAN???????????????????????????