PDA

View Full Version : new to halibut

whate
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
hi,

I'm new to halibut fishing and hope that some one here would let me tag along next time you going fishing. I've been reading the forum and bought a few Lucky craft 110 and a couple of surf rod & reel but don't know where to start and i hope you can show me the robe.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

SHAD MAN 09
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Try out seal beach jettys lots of halis few legals come out of there also some barracuda at the end sand bass and calicos also. Also there is newport and pretty much anywhere you can get to the surf. well im sure more of these guys will let you in on some spots. check out vanillaguriilas stuff he is usually on the halis and wing nut too. Well good luck out there.:Cool:

whate
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
SHAD MAN, thanks for your suggestion. I tried seal beach the past weeks but no luck so far. It's really frustrating tossing the LC all day and getting no run.
I tried dropshotting but no luck in that department too.

I really hope to see some one in action and learn from him. I've read about slow retrieve and color choice of LCs depending on the weather and water condition, etc.. but that didn't seem to help hooking fishies; in fact, it makes me want to buy more LCs and that's slowly getting out of control.

I did all kind of weird stuff in hope to get the fish bit, including taking the LCs/rods & reels/tackle box to a Chinese temple to get the monk's bless. I also wrote "i will practice catch & release religiously, regardless size" on a piece of paper, burned it and cast the ashes on the surf too.

I'm desperate.

Try out seal beach jettys lots of halis few legals come out of there also some barracuda at the end sand bass and calicos also. Also there is newport and pretty much anywhere you can get to the surf. well im sure more of these guys will let you in on some spots. check out vanillaguriilas stuff he is usually on the halis and wing nut too. Well good luck out there.:Cool:

vanillagurilla
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
lol. just keep trying bro. try 72nd street jetty in long beach. its the far jetty if your on the seal beach one. the middle jetty is free to park also. just go across the bridge :).

fisherman from long beach
09-04-2009, 03:09 PM
try puttin a 3 white grub i was out there on the jetty in seal beach and landed 2 butts 6 yellow fin croakers and 1 needle fish..not bad for 2hrs.

Wingnut
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I did all kind of weird stuff in hope to get the fish bit, including taking the LCs/rods & reels/tackle box to a Chinese temple to get the monk's bless. I also wrote "i will practice catch & release religiously, regardless size" on a piece of paper, burned it and cast the ashes on the surf too.

I'm desperate.

Now that's funny. :Big Smile:
Hang in there and keep trying, nothing worthwhile is ever easy. :Wink:
If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a PM, I'll try to steer you in the right direction. :Cool:

Gossamer
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm desperate.

:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::U DaMan::UDaMan:

:Worship:
I can't let a man that takes his hali fishing that seriously not get a flattie. Shoot me a pm with your number and maybe we can go out on Sunday or Monday.

PS. I will be sure and bring a chicken that we can sacrifice to better our chances....jk

whate
09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
I really appreciate everyone's feedback; every encouraging:LOL:

@ vanillagurilla, fisherman from long beach << I'll definitely try out the location/tricks that you've suggested.

lol. just keep trying bro. try 72nd street jetty in long beach. its the far jetty if your on the seal beach one. the middle jetty is free to park also. just go across the bridge :).

try puttin a 3 white grub i was out there on the jetty in seal beach and landed 2 butts 6 yellow fin croakers and 1 needle fish..not bad for 2hrs.

@Wingnut << i looked at most of your reports, very inspiring. One question, is the hooking rate and the cost of the reel & rod positively correlated?

Now that's funny. :Big Smile:
Hang in there and keep trying, nothing worthwhile is ever easy. :Wink:
If you have any specific questions, just shoot me a PM, I'll try to steer you in the right direction. :Cool:

@Gossmaer << No, UDaman. Thanks for extending a hand to newbie like me. Sent you a PM.

Ps. About the chicken; that's something i will try next if don't get a flattie after going fishing with you :LOL::LOL:

:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan::U DaMan::UDaMan:

:Worship:
I can't let a man that takes his hali fishing that seriously not get a flattie. Shoot me a pm with your number and maybe we can go out on Sunday or Monday.

PS. I will be sure and bring a chicken that we can sacrifice to better our chances....jk

vanillagurilla
09-06-2009, 09:14 AM
for under 200 bucks i can set you up with a great rod and reel set up for tossing the LC. well i should say tell you what to get for under 200 bucks.

whate
09-07-2009, 12:09 AM
for under 200 bucks i can set you up with a great rod and reel set up for tossing the LC. well i should say tell you what to get for under 200 bucks.

vanillagurilla, below is what i have so far, please me know if they're OK for halibut.
But i'm open to any suggestion. I appreciate any input you can provide.

I try not to spend if i have don't have too. I have a money tree (bought it from Ranch 99) but i think it's too young to produce any; i heard it takes hundred of years for it to bear $$.

Bait:
Flash Minnow 110 SP - Chartreuse Shad
Flash Minnow 110 SP - American Shad
Flash Minnow 110 SP - Aurora Black
Flash Minnow 110 Lure - Metallic Sardine (line snapped and lost this one at night)
Slender Pointer 112 MR - Aurora Black
Pointer 128 SP - Aurora Black

Zoom® Soft Plastic Baits - Fluke - White Pearl
Zoom® Tiny Fluke - Smokin Shad
Zoom® Tiny Fluke - Baitfish
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Pearl White
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Camo
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Rootbeer Gold
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - New Penny

Gear:
* G.Loomis GL2 7' 10-20lb (not the best rod, but that's all i have for now) pairs with a daiwa luna 203 30lb braid (had 10# flouro top shot but removed after the line snapped and lost a LC)

* Sedona 2500 and clarus 6-12lb 6'6 M Fast. Just got this set from sport charlet for 80$. Has no line on it yet. I'm thinking about putting 6lb for dropshotting.

bsp
09-07-2009, 07:11 AM
8lb fluoro for dropshotting since flatties aren't line shy, but other than that you are set!

To answer the question you had about hooking ratio and rod/reel, there is a relationship. Use a moderate or mod-fast rod for the LCs to prevent the halibut from tossing the trebles when it does head shakes. A fast action rod for dropshotting slams the single hook home and keeps it there, but would cause treble hooks to rip out. Sticking with a shorter 7' is great since it gives you more control over the fish, and in a moderate action your casting distance is more than adequate.

whate
09-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks bsp. It looks like i have what i need then.

8lb fluoro for dropshotting since flatties aren't line shy, but other than that you are set!

To answer the question you had about hooking ratio and rod/reel, there is a relationship. Use a moderate or mod-fast rod for the LCs to prevent the halibut from tossing the trebles when it does head shakes. A fast action rod for dropshotting slams the single hook home and keeps it there, but would cause treble hooks to rip out. Sticking with a shorter 7' is great since it gives you more control over the fish, and in a moderate action your casting distance is more than adequate.

calico killer kevin
09-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Your head's definitely in the right place as far as tackle. You are definitely determined. Now, all you need to do is analyze the info that we're giving you, persevere, and gain experience.

With the LC Flashminnows, I prefer as slow a retrieve as possible without deadsticking it. Hali eyes are looking up from their hiding spot, so don't worry about getting it too deep, they'll come to it. Darker colors such as Metallic Sardine, Aurora black for cloudy days, murky water, actually pretty much any conditions and brighter colors such as chart. shad for bright days. I use 15lb fluoro because halis are not too line shy, I have yet to snap off $20, they bite the same, and I can maintain a 3-5" depth while still using a slow retrieve. This is due to Fluoro's sinking qualities. Work around structure. A sandy strip near anything like, boiler rocks, jetties, kelp, etc will heighten your chances. I recommend you go to a place like Cherry Beach in Belmont Shores. You don't have to worry about structure because there are very few to hassle with and there is a very nice population of resident halis there. Oh and plus, no waves and usually clear water.

whate
09-10-2009, 01:58 AM
calico killer kevin, thanks for the tips. Cherry Beach in Belmont Shores is added to my list of places to go.

a couple of thing i've been wondering:

1. how slow is slow retrieve? Can you elaborate "deadsticking" a bit more?
2. floro topshot and braid backing, or all floro? which works better? I think if you have dedicated reels for different line#, there is no need of having braid backing. But floro is expensive and have memory problem, having braid on the bottom will save $$ in the long run. Have you used the "line butter" product?
3. what knot do you use for LC? Some recommends the non slip knot, other swear by San Diego jam, what works best for you?
4. Best time to fish for halibut? I've read that using LCs is most productive during gray light, can you confirm this?
5. is scent necessary?

Thanks in advance,

Your head's definitely in the right place as far as tackle. You are definitely determined. Now, all you need to do is analyze the info that we're giving you, persevere, and gain experience.

With the LC Flashminnows, I prefer as slow a retrieve as possible without deadsticking it. Hali eyes are looking up from their hiding spot, so don't worry about getting it too deep, they'll come to it. Darker colors such as Metallic Sardine, Aurora black for cloudy days, murky water, actually pretty much any conditions and brighter colors such as chart. shad for bright days. I use 15lb fluoro because halis are not too line shy, I have yet to snap off $20, they bite the same, and I can maintain a 3-5" depth while still using a slow retrieve. This is due to Fluoro's sinking qualities. Work around structure. A sandy strip near anything like, boiler rocks, jetties, kelp, etc will heighten your chances. I recommend you go to a place like Cherry Beach in Belmont Shores. You don't have to worry about structure because there are very few to hassle with and there is a very nice population of resident halis there. Oh and plus, no waves and usually clear water.

bsp
09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
1. how slow is slow retrieve? Can you elaborate "deadsticking" a bit more?
2. floro topshot and braid backing, or all floro? which works better? I think if you have dedicated reels for different line#, there is no need of having braid backing. But floro is expensive and have memory problem, having braid on the bottom will save $$ in the long run. Have you used the "line butter" product?
3. what knot do you use for LC? Some recommends the non slip knot, other swear by San Diego jam, what works best for you?
4. Best time to fish for halibut? I've read that using LCs is most productive during gray light, can you confirm this?
5. is scent necessary?

1. You want to retrieve just fast enough so that the LC kicks/wiggles/vibrates in the water. You can tell by looking at it at various retrieve speeds wheteher it is vibrating or not. The retrieve will be very slow and steady, and that is what works the best for halibut. Dead sticking is letting a lure sit in one place motionless for a long time. You can use this if you see a halibut, but the dropshot rig is much better than a LC for dead sticking.

2. Either one works. Seagur InvisX is the best fluoro I have tried for saltwater, so give it a shot. Don't bother with line butter. I tried it, and didn't notice any significant changes in the condition of my line. IMO, It's a waste of money.

3. SD Jam, Palomar, Improved Clinch, or whatever you want as long as it is a strong knot and you are confident in it. I currently use the SD Jam because I feel that it is stronger, but just use the one you are confident in. Don't stress about small things like which knot is the best. As long as you can tie it well and it is strong it will be fine. There are bigger things to pay attention.

4. All day. On Monday when I went with Wingnut and Anferny7, we got 16 short halibut after grey light. I've caught legals at all time of the day, and I actually like bright sun when I am tossing the LC because it lets the halibut see it from farther away. My best bite ever was in the late morning, and Wingnut's was in the evening. Neither were grey lights.

Tides, swell conditions, and weather are more important than time of days.

5. Not necessary, but it's cheap and might make a difference. Just use it and that way you won't have to worry. Sardine, Anchovy, or squid are all good scents. I use Smelly Jelly, but Pro Cure makes some good stuff too. Plus certain scent names allow for some fun conversations with your fishing buddies.

whate
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
thanks Bsp for your quick and thorough answers. I'm sure other newbies will find this post helpful.

Thanks all for your help and encouragement. I've been trying for the past couple weeks with no success, but i'll keep on trying.

A wise man once said "Hang in there and keep trying, nothing worthwhile is ever easy" <<<-- that's what i'm guna do.

bsp
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
thanks Bsp for your quick and thorough answers. I'm sure other newbies will find this post helpful.

Thanks all for your help and encouragement. I've been trying for the past couple weeks with no success, but i'll keep on trying.

A wise man once said "Hang in there and keep trying, nothing worthwhile is ever easy" <<<-- that's what i'm guna do.

Good luck man, and remember to not get frustrated. It is supposed to be fun!

Let me know if you have some more questions.

JP
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I try not to spend if i have don't have too. I have a money tree (bought it from Ranch 99) but i think it's too young to produce any; i heard it takes hundred of years for it to bear $$.

Bait:
Flash Minnow 110 SP - Chartreuse Shad
Flash Minnow 110 SP - American Shad
Flash Minnow 110 SP - Aurora Black
Flash Minnow 110 Lure - Metallic Sardine (line snapped and lost this one at night)
Slender Pointer 112 MR - Aurora Black
Pointer 128 SP - Aurora Black

Zoom® Soft Plastic Baits - Fluke - White Pearl
Zoom® Tiny Fluke - Smokin Shad
Zoom® Tiny Fluke - Baitfish
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Pearl White
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Camo
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - Rootbeer Gold
Berkley® Gulp- Jerk Shad - New Penny

Gear:
* G.Loomis GL2 7' 10-20lb (not the best rod, but that's all i have for now) pairs with a daiwa luna 203 30lb braid (had 10# flouro top shot but removed after the line snapped and lost a LC)

* Sedona 2500 and clarus 6-12lb 6'6 M Fast. Just got this set from sport charlet for 80$. Has no line on it yet. I'm thinking about putting 6lb for dropshotting.

You sure have a lot of $$ invested in tackle for one species. Learn to fish the LC, it will produce.

I'm on my first LC, an Aurora Black 110. It has caught 19 halibut, including 4 legals. IMO braid makes a huge difference, you can feel the bait swim better with it. When your cast settles in the water, wind up your slack and Pop/Jerk the rod once to get the weight in the LC to shift forward, then start winding. This will help it swim better. While slowing winding it in, there will be times when the surf is going out, and you'll feel the LC twitch without you winding. It's OK to pause every now and then and let the bait flutter in the water. Many strikes come during the pause.

Scent works, but I believe the bait triggers more reaction bites. Sometime I use scent, and sometimes I don't.

Keep at it, and you'll soon post how productive you've been. Good luck.

flashburn2020
09-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Try a 3/8 oz leadhead with a 4" Kalin Curly tail grub in Smoke Sparkle or Glow in the Dark on 8 lb test anything. Works for me. Good luck

whate
09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
You sure have a lot of $$ invested in tackle for one species. Learn to fish the LC, it will produce.

:Embarrassed: the g stick and luna are my inshore bass gear. I didn't buy anything new just for halibut, except the dropshot setup, ehehe:Razz:

I'm on my first LC, an Aurora Black 110. It has caught 19 halibut, including 4 legals. IMO braid makes a huge difference, you can feel the bait swim better with it. When your cast settles in the water, wind up your slack and Pop/Jerk the rod once to get the weight in the LC to shift forward, then start winding. This will help it swim better. While slowing winding it in, there will be times when the surf is going out, and you'll feel the LC twitch without you winding. It's OK to pause every now and then and let the bait flutter in the water. Many strikes come during the pause.

Scent works, but I believe the bait triggers more reaction bites. Sometime I use scent, and sometimes I don't.

I retrieved just like you said, and braid is indeed sensitive. My count of flatties is still nil so far. Talked to a guy at Cherry Beach the other day, and he said that so many ppl using LC now a day and the halibuts are bored with it; in fact most halibuts in Sol Cal got a Phd >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorate<< in LuckyCraftiphy. If you toss a LC in the water, the fish just look at it from afar and then sigh " Another metallic sardine, except this one has some a customed paint job and shiny proxy, eyahhh! "
Think of the guy in the vegas.com commercial.

Try a 3/8 oz leadhead with a 4" Kalin Curly tail grub in Smoke Sparkle or Glow in the Dark on 8 lb test anything. Works for me. Good luck

flashburn2020, thanks for the suggestion. This is new to me. Will give it a shot next time.