PDA

View Full Version : Catching Shad at Castaic

CocoaAndMe
09-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Hi, I was wondering what the best way to catch shad at castaic is? Are cast nets allowed? I tried using dip nets but it was almost impossible to move it fast enough to catch them. Any advice would b gladly appreciated. Thanks.

PHISHnutS
09-02-2009, 07:01 AM
DYNAMITE !!

...but seriously, cast nets are illegal. Dip nets work, you just have to keep trying.

Nessie Hunter
09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Cast nets are illegal anywhere and everywhere in Calif Freshwater.....
And illegal south of Point Conception in Saltwater...

I have heard (tried once, got 0) the the 'dip net' (only legal method, other then hook/sabiki 3 hooks in freshwater). Is very hard to do...

Some have luck herding the shad into dip net, that is placed, just raise it fast....

Or waiting for them to school into a set net.. Fast little buggers huh??

Shad are also very delicate/dumb, they cant swim in a container with corners(square), Need 'round' bucket/container to keep them fresh/alive....

Having tried only one time, I am no expert thats for sure... :Embarrassed:

CocoaAndMe
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah those di nets really don't work for me. I even watched some videos on people doing it but that didn't really help. And I was wondering about the cast nets because the description of legal methods of catching baitfish just says that the net has to be manually operated so I wasn't sure. Because cast nets are manually operated.

Also what is a set net? Can you post a link? And if anyone has had success catching shad with dip nets do you have a video of it or could I tag along on a trip just to see? Haha I know that might sound weird but I really have no idea how all these people are catching their shad. I see a bunch of posts with people using live shad and I just can't figure it out.:Sad:

fishfinder
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
i have the same problem catching them. my only luck has been in shallow water where they can't dive down to get away. but if you can get another boat to chase them to your waiting boat and net, i have heard this works. most the guys catching them are using the $250 dip nets with ultra long handles. i seen 1 guy with one and he just slapped the net down on the surface and pulled it toward him, and had a bunch of shad.
Last year i was scooping them up and ended up with a bunch of crappie. released crappie, and only had 2 shad in net. caught 2 fish on the shad.

CocoaAndMe
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Haha that would be funny if the te fish you caught were the two crappie you released. Was this at castaic? I have never been able to catch a crappie there.

So in order to catch shad I need two boats, an expensive fish net, and a couple people to help me? Hmmm... isn't there an easier way? ANd how do I find the shad anyway? They alwasy seem to be to quick and just dart away when I pull the boat up.

fishfinder
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
the crappie were babies, about 2" long

smokehound
09-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Tiny kastmasters work for the bigger shad.

Nessie Hunter
09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
No links....
But by "Set Net", I mean placing it in the water, like a trap set to swing. Allow the Shad to gather then scoop them up...

I also heard that stirring the water up (like walking around in mud/shallows) will bring them in to feed?????

Your asking the wrong guy for info.... I have read up on it, and tried it one time with zero luck....
I stick with artificials, so live bait isnt my thing...

Vulture
09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
The best way I came up with was using 2 dip nets. Kind of corner the shad and at the same time you and your partner dip. The shad will swim back n forth into one of your nets. Don't scoop them up just lift the handle straight up. That will close the net n trap the shad. If you scoop you drag to much water n the shad bail out. Trust me I know. I had my net full by the time I was done scooping I had only three. They are quick little suckers. Good luck n hope this works. I might head out there Tuesday If I can get my boat fixed.

Ray Lopez
09-11-2009, 06:37 AM
im a shore fisherman. I use the shad nets *yes the 250$ one* I have my best luck going to the shoreline and looking for thick schools of shad and creep up low to the ground and them slam the net down fast and pull the net back up to shore.

You ruin your net but replacment netting is only like 30 bucks.

but make sure you have a good round bucket and a airartor to keep the shad alive.

it is alot of work catching shad but the pay off after the fact is awesome.

almost every shad you can catch is gonna pay off in a fish on your line.

im gonna head to the lake today to see if they are close to shore so i can catch them.

typically i catch them right at the main dock they are get thick right at the left side of the launch ramp going towards the dam

CocoaAndMe
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM
So you can catch them from shore.. hmm. Could I possibly come with you to see how you do it? If it can be done from shore then I think the $250 is worth it for those nets. Do you have an ARC net? Oh and let me know how it goes today! Haha thanks.

Ray Lopez
09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
the shad were not close enough that day might try again this weekend. They are there but they were too small

CocoaAndMe
09-17-2009, 09:51 PM
How small are they? Let me know how this weekend goes!