PDA

View Full Version : TIDE CHANGE Monday 8 31 09

ghetto dad
08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, after a long week of trying to decide when and where I was going to fish this weekend, the decision was made to fish the Full Day Catalina boat The Tide Change out of Long Beach Sportfishing. After finally fishing offshore last weekend in who know how long, I really wanted to make another trip to SD this weekend. My wife and daughters even gifted me some money for my birthday on Friday specifically for an offshore trip, but after seing my best bet would be a 1 ˝ Day, and deciding that I didn’t want tuna bad enough to spend over $300, I figured that I would just stay local.

I called Captain Anthony Fisher of the Tide Change last night, and he told me that the bass fishing was great, along with a couple yellows. He had me at “bass fishing was great,” and I told him that I would be there in the morning to fish with him. So I gathered all my weapons of choice for this trip, and attempted to sleep for a few hours in this damn heat before my trip. 3:30 am came very quickly, I rolled out of bed, and headed for Long Beach.

Upon arrival, I had noticed that it was going to be a nice light load, which was excellent! My life long friend Peter was also there, excited about our day’s possiblitlies. Anthony called us down to the boat, we all signed in, and left promptly at 5:00 am.

Crew today was Captain Anthony, Mitch, Bobby, and Danny on the deck, and Christine in the galley. Anthony made his morning safety speech, followed by the plan for the day. He told us once we received our bait from San Pedro Bait Company, we were going to make a “longer than usual” run to the backside of the Island, where fishing has been a lot better than the usual front side of the Island. He said there have been quite a few yellows making an appearance, and the bass fishing has been great. He gave us rigging tips, and told us to bear with him, and be patient, and that it would be approximately 4 hours until we started fishing. This is one reason why I love fishing the Tide Change on this kind of trip, it has bunks! We arrived at the Bait Boat, and were jugged out with nice chovies and 4-6 dines.

We all set up our gear on the way to the bait boat, and my personal choices were:

12 lb with a 2/0 hook.
15 lb also with a 2/0 hook.
20 lb also with a 2/0 hook.
25 lb with a mint green Tady C.

The drive across was pretty nice, and we made the turn around the West End of the Island about 3 ˝ hours later, and made up way down the back side. We finally arrived at the first spot:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10269.jpg

Mitch threw some chum, and the Calico Bass started doing back flips out of the water. We dropped the anchor, and started fishing. I started off with my 15 lb flylining a sardine. The bass on this spot were VERY “lazy,” they would absolutely freight train you, you would go to set the hook, and there would be no hook set. At one point, I even did a “10 count”, threw my reel in gear, and no fish. I told Anthony that I like it when its challenging, and finally set the hook solid on a nice Calico Bass! Pete also ended up getting the first of a few cuda we caught for the day:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10270.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10271.jpg
Fish finally started to “wake up,” and eventually, Calico Bass started flying over the rail. Guys that decided to fish the dropper loop and squid were rewarded with a few decent sheephead. This bite only lasted a short time, due to the lack of current. There were also some nice yellows that were cruising around the boat teasing the hell out of us, but not taking any of our offerings. This spot was pretty much done, so Anthony decided to head further down the backside, and look for some condition, mainly some current. When this spot was all said and done, some very, very nice bass were landed, along with a few nice sheephead. Not bad for the start of the day.

Anthony scoped out quite a few spots along the back, none with any condition, so we headed further down the backside, until we found a spot with some potential, dropped the anchor, and started fishing:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10272.jpg

Once again, BIG bass boiling all over the kelp, along with many, many smaller models. More Calico bass slayage by everyone, at least the ones that could fish. After awhile of bait fishing, I went to my iron, made my first cast, started a very fast wind, and fish ON!:

I HATE when other people take my pic..this pic does this fish no justice, it was estimated by Captain Anthony to weigh appx 6-7 lbs….RELEASED UNHARMED!! Caught on Iron
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10274.jpg

Another nice fish, RELEASED UNHARMED! Caught on Iron
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10276.jpg

Pete with one of his many, many quality Calicos!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10277.jpg

Another beast, released unharmed! Caught on Iron
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10278.jpg

Gabriel with a nice, nice Calico Bass…caught on the Iron!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10280.jpg

LOL! Nice fish Mitch!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10281.jpg

NICE fish Pete….caught on Iron, and released unharmed!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10282.jpg

NBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU still lives….
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/ghettodad/SDC10283.jpg

This spot was producing quite well, and one of the passengers even got a nice little WSB to gaff. Two yellows were also hooked on this spot, both anglers absolutely were buttholed, and busted off. Man, I love fishing bass on Iron, especially the bigger models, that would hit your jig so hard, your hand flies off your reel handle, lol. Eventually, this spot petered out, and we moved further down the Island.

On EVERY spot, there were yellows cruising around the boat, and boiling around the boat. These fish are going to go off at any time, I hope I am on a boat out there when it happens. We ended our day down East on the bait grounds, where the fish were absolutely DESTROYING the green whams on 12 lb, now that was really fun.

Not sure of final count for the boat, but both Pete and I ended up with an easy limit of nice quality bass, I ended up releasing 5-6 fish from 4 to about 7 lbs, along with millions of shorts, and Pete also released a few fish from about 4-6 lbs. I really wish people would get more into catching and releasing the larger Calicos, it is very important. The action today was excellent, and the crew today was also excellent. BIG props to Captain Anthony for making the very long run today, he worked his *** off to put us on fish. You all need to give this boat and crew a try when you can.

Thanks for reading….

GD

ztugs
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
thats awesome! i love calico bass fishing! good job out there and cool to see them biting the iron so well. and true dat about the catching and releasing of the bigger calicos. it should just become habit.

TShaffer
08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Bass on the iron...AWESOME! Sounds like some great calico action and nice goin on the safe release.

ghetto dad
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
do seabass count? i was hoping you could take a joke...

Newb..seabass are croakers...I already asked you this on the other site....later man

GD

victor101
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
LOL...i KNOW they are croakers man....NM...Good job out there...have a nice day

ghetto dad
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
LOL...i KNOW they are croakers man....NM...Good job out there...have a nice day

lol...ok...you too.....

GD

BIGRED KILLA
08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice job out there Steve on the calicos esp on CPR on the bigger models nice to see people toss em back to fight another day.

Bigred

jig fish
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
in the pic of gabriel some guy is giving the finger in the backround..lol

christainmetalhead909
08-31-2009, 11:21 PM
dang gd i see how it is, cant go fishing with me but you can go on this trip lol. jk man, nice bass dude i have yet to catch a nice big bass like that, but i did catch a dorado, a yellow tail, and yellow fin tuna today!!!!!! report will come tomorrow, im freaking tired man. wtg. take care peace out.

Ambassadorhawg
09-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Huh??? Now you're island fishing? The sand bass at Long beach are getting angry with you now...

With all this offshore fishing you're doing these days, I'll bet you didn't know the ocean was THAT big, did you?!

Nice basses, looks like fun!

'hawg

deanhall32
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Glad you have been getting out lately. Having bunks is a bonus for those all day trips. Beats standing up all day!!

BTW- Almost all SD overnight boats limited on YFT yesterday!!

Jackpot Jimmy
09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Way to slay Steve... nice calicos!

ghetto dad
09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Glad you have been getting out lately. Having bunks is a bonus for those all day trips. Beats standing up all day!!

BTW- Almost all SD overnight boats limited on YFT yesterday!!

thats nice....i dont want a YFT that bad to spend over $200...

thanks for the replies guys!

GD

hbomb
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Good job out there Gd, hopefully I'll get out there soon again. Great report. :Cool:

deanhall32
09-01-2009, 08:26 AM
thats nice....i dont want a YFT that bad to spend over $200...

thanks for the replies guys!

GD

5 YFT- limits per

5 lbs. fillets per 20 lb. fish ( very conservative amount )
_______

25 lbs. YFT fillets
x
$12.00 per lb.

$300.00 total

You lost money by not going tuna fishing that day!!!

troutdog
09-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Nice going on the bass GD, thanks for the report and pics dude....VERY well done and on the iron to boot!

TD

cappo
09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
nice job on the YFcalicos

Monkeyfishn
09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Damn Steve you never smile do you. I guess I give alex credit for the F Monkey to get a smile out of you.

Hey Laugh and smile every now and then you will see its not all that bad. LOL

Great catch'n there.

I need to get out with anthony again its been to long.

Later Monkey

sansou
09-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Nice chunky calicos on the iron!

Good to see you C&R them.

b20monster
09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
good job steve. when's the next time youre throwing a clinic on catching on the iron.?

ghetto dad
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Way to slay Steve... nice calicos!

Thanks Big Jim....:Big Grin:

Good job out there Gd, hopefully I'll get out there soon again. Great report. :Cool:

Yeah man..I heard you guys got the skunk that night..sorry man...

5 YFT- limits per

5 lbs. fillets per 20 lb. fish ( very conservative amount )
_______

25 lbs. YFT fillets
x
$12.00 per lb.

$300.00 total

You lost money by not going tuna fishing that day!!!

F* tuna fishing, ok!! Stop trying to cloud up the fun day i had bass fishing....grrrr...btw..Calico Bass fishing is by far my favorite type of fishing...

Nice going on the bass GD, thanks for the report and pics dude....VERY well done and on the iron to boot!

TD

Thanks TD...one day, well eventually get out together man...

nice job on the YFcalicos

Thanks

Damn Steve you never smile do you. I guess I give alex credit for the F Monkey to get a smile out of you.

Hey Laugh and smile every now and then you will see its not all that bad. LOL

Great catch'n there.

I need to get out with anthony again its been to long.

Later Monkey

Maybe if I had a gallon of Captain Morgans to drink while I fished, Id be smiling like you all the time!! :ROFL: Thanks man

Nice chunky calicos on the iron!

Good to see you C&R them.

Thanks Rich...all Ive thought about since your last SQ report with you catching all those bass on the iron is just that...catching them on the iron..nowhere near the quanity of quality as down south....but fun none the less....

good job steve. when's the next time youre throwing a clinic on catching on the iron.?

lmao! wow...sup B!!! Thanks man....I dont know...I might try to get out again this weekend...somewhere...

GD

calico killer kevin
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
That there is some good fishing Stevo. Just cancelled my 2 day on thursday cause of the damn hurricane.

I know where you wanna go this weekend. Starts with SD and ends with 100lbs of t fillets hehe....

hakaveli
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
NICE JOB out there MAN IVE BEEN MIA

deanhall32
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Go gettum champ!!

Ricky-Ray
09-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Nice going. Glad you got out there. Bass on the iron....can't get any better than that.

daveg456
09-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Nice job on the calico release. I also let the big ones go and keep the barely legals.

Yeah, before you pervs make a comment, I know where you're going with this.

NY4Reels!
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Steve you really put the hurt on nice chunks!!! Crusing YT, toad bass, frikin awesome day!
WTG with the CPR!

Didn't realize Anthony was back at it. The last time I rode with him was on the Liberty. Looks like I'm due for an overnighter come your way!

Glenn

JapanRon
09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi ghetto dad,

WTG on the trip and fishys. Glad the iron works as well as it did !! Green blams ... worked nicely closer to home too !!

JapanRon

Troutman65
09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Nice going on the bass Steve. Thanks for sharing.