PDA

View Full Version : need a weekend job

hartattack13
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
hey guys me and my future wife are starting to save money for the big day (summer 08). so this means i gotta get a weekend job. i cant think of anything cooler to do on the weekends than bein out on a boat. Does anyone here know how u can get on a boat as a deckhand? what is typical pay for a deckhand? SOMEONE HELP A BRUTHA OUT.

:titanic: :nopity: :dedhorse:

BakoBassin
06-29-2007, 09:45 AM
You typically gotta be a "pinhead" first, as far as I know. It pays nothing to very little. I used to do it when I was 12 or 13 just to get to fish for free. I would work sometimes taking fish off hooks and untangling lines. Then, I would have to scrub the boat on the way in.

DavidE
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Marriage license is $91.00
Ceremony at the courthouse is $25.00

Don't need a second job for that my friend!!

hartattack13
06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
dude i wish it was that easy!! :bang: its actually only about $3500 to get hitched in hawaii so thats where were goin. the day before the BIG day me my pops, brother, and soon to be brother -in - law are goin fishin out there. GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!! :beer:

jplee3
06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
dude i wish it was that easy!! :bang: its actually only about $3500 to get hitched in hawaii so thats where were goin. the day before the BIG day me my pops, brother, and soon to be brother -in - law are goin fishin out there. GOOD TIMES!!!!!!!! :beer:

Hehe... yea anyone else out there have any info on how to become a deckhand? Probably wouldn't work out for me just cause I work full time already, but I wouldn't mind doing it like every Saturday just to help out. Even if it's for very little. I just like bein out on the water!

rusty6
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
yeah, info on this would be helpful, i was hopin to do a little work up at at virgs sportfishing when i go to slo next year, just looking on how to get into it.

BakoBassin
06-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I think the best way to get a spot working on any boat is to spend a lot of time on the boat. You're gonna have to get in tight with the folks on whichever boat it is you wanna work on. Those folks are a special breed and I would say almost a sub-culture. If you don't know what you're doing, you're just in the way.

It's not a super lucrative job and having another person working on that boat is dipping into the other guys take home pay.

Liteliner
07-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Check out longbeachsportfishing.com

They have some boats looking for deckhands for local or san diego boats. I think you can print out the application on the site as well. Good luck with the job search and the marriage.