PDA

View Full Version : lobster fishing?

fisherman from long beach
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
what are the very basics to try and lobster fish.diffrent lic,hoop nets bait ,etc,etc?any information would be appreciated.fisherman from l.b.

Ricky-Ray
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Very basics would be fishing license with saltwater stamp, Lobster report card, lobster gauge, hoop net, bait.

08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
where do you pick up lobster report card?

cappo
08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
tackle shop???

08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
thanks cappo,but what i really meant was,what do they run for ,do certain tackle shops carry them,or bass pro ,or turners outdoorsman,etc.or do the lil hole in the walls also carry them.

cappo
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I think they cost about $16 for the season. I would try the bigger tackle shops instead of the mom n pop stores. From what I read, you have to fill out the card everytime you go hoopin, on the spot. Dont forget to turn it in at the end of season.

08-31-2009, 03:47 PM
thanks fellas.

Ricky-Ray
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
The report card is $8.40. They should be available wherever licenses are sold.

cappo
08-31-2009, 09:43 PM
i bought two cards so that I can get double limits lol

09-01-2009, 07:38 AM
ok one more thing,should i try the breakwater rocks is that an ok place to try.i dont want to venture out to far as i am in only in a lil monarch bass boat.

sansou
09-01-2009, 09:53 AM
fisherman from LB,

Please take this in the spirit that it is intended: before you go out for your first time solo lobstering, you really should take someone who can show you how it is done. (lots of competent FNNers could help you) It can be very dangerous, especially if your alone, in the dark, and a total newb.

This of course says nothing of the fact the rules (and fishable zones) are constantly changing, and you need to be 110% on top of that or face big fines.

Just my .02 cents.

09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
thanks sansou,i wont be doing this alone.and i agree i should find out where and how to fish these longostas.

BIGRED KILLA
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
fisherman from LB,

Please take this in the spirit that it is intended: before you go out for your first time solo lobstering, you really should take someone who can show you how it is done. (lots of competent FNNers could help you) It can be very dangerous, especially if your alone, in the dark, and a total newb.

This of course says nothing of the fact the rules (and fishable zones) are constantly changing, and you need to be 110% on top of that or face big fines.

Just my .02 cents.

X2

and please when going out there take your time on dropping the hoops make sure the rope is not all slack on the surface bundle it up with zip ties or add a torpedo sinker to the tip of your line so you and other boaters don't get your props tangled and smash up against the rocks. If you have no one to show you how it's done go out there in the day time for crabs and practice. Each harbor has diff rules about hooping some you cant be to close to the break wall or certain zones you cant be in it gets confusing witch area you can be in and what not.

Bigred

Hometown
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Breakwalls are pretty good

09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
im gonna do my homework,i want to have good times out on the water,not get fines trying to do things that i like.hoopnets is there a variety of cheap to topnotch and what does something like that run?im on a budget and the wifey doesnt need know.lol

mg2969
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Pick up Jim Salazars (saba slayer) Book and attend one of his normally free pre-lobster season seminars. Don't know the schedule?

Ricky-Ray
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
im gonna do my homework,i want to have good times out on the water,not get fines trying to do things that i like.hoopnets is there a variety of cheap to topnotch and what does something like that run?im on a budget and the wifey doesnt need know.lol

Take a look at Promar nets. They have several different varieties to choose from. Also check out the classified section. Sometimes you'll find people selling used fully rigged hoop net's.

sonarbp
09-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey fisherman from long beach.....on Sept 23 at 7pm there is a free Hooping seminar. It will be located in Anaheim at Jimmy's Outdoors and they will have a special guest......JIM SALAZAR the guru of lobster hooping.

09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey fisherman from long beach.....on Sept 22 at 7pm there is a free Hooping seminar. It will be located in Anaheim at Jimmy's Outdoors and they will have a special guest......JIM SALAZAR the guru of lobster hooping.
a sonarbp i dont think i'll be able to take that class,the kids are back in school and my wifey doesnt get out of work till 7.also havent forgot about taking you out on the monarch im still working on my list of cousins and best friends.just to let you know i havent forgot about you buddy

sonarbp
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
No worries man....I am pretty sure that as it gets closer to October there will be more and more of the seminars.

ahhvtec
09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Great thread fisherman from Long Beach. What Sansou and Bigred Killa said are right on the money. Best of luck to you! About the only other thing you need is alot of patience. When you don't succeed, try and try again!

Duc

09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
im gonna do my best,and also im a fisherman and you have to have patience fo this kind of hobby.any time im out on the water is good time catching fish or lobster makes it great.thanks fellas for all the input ,i think i have all the info i need.l.b.f.m