PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp question

ryryk
08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
What should I look for when buying ghost shrimp? How do u tell freshest from not so fresh? Been pretty disappointed with the quality of bait sometimes maybe I'm just picking out the crappy ones?

Thanks in advance

klocked
08-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Give the containers a little shake, which ever ones move the most are the fresh ones. Sometimes you can tell by the color, lighter colored ones are fresher.... usually, depending where they're taken from.

fisherman from long beach
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
the lighter one are the fresher ones,then you can see the ones that have been there awhile they get black spots on them,where do you buy yours from?

victor101
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
like klocked said...shake the container...the more active ones will stay alive longer. Im not sure where you're buying them from but I buy mine from Paul's Bait an Tackle in San Pedro. Ive tried other places but the ones at Pauls are usually better quality. I also like to use the smaller to medium size ghost shrimp. The bigger ones dont get bit as much. Make sure youre using kahle hooks to match the size of your bait...Insert the hook in the "tail" and come out in the "chest"...
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/005-4.jpg

Sometimes Pauls will sell fresh dead ghost shrimp for a little cheaper. I only buy fresh dead when they still look in good condition(no black spots, some are still moving) and when im sure im going to use them all that same day.

08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
thats the place i was gonna recommend is pauls in pedro.cool guy,i bought 2 30 containers and he gave me 2 fresh dead for free.

victor101
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
thats the place i was gonna recommend is pauls in pedro.cool guy,i bought 2 30 containers and he gave me 2 fresh dead for free.

Its a small BAIT shop and they know how to take care of their customers...thats why I keep going back...

boxl0bster
08-31-2009, 07:27 PM
great info guys! im going to have to give these a try out in the surf sometime. btw can their claws pinch you?

08-31-2009, 07:31 PM
just lil pinch,i hook myself worse than a ghost shrimp pinch by far.lol

ryryk
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Cool thanks guys. I get them at norms big fish b&t in seal beach. Its only been a few tiimes that they've been bad.. But only once have I had shrimp like the one u posted.
I knew they had to be fresh b/c it was the first time it fought back lol.
Lately I've been usin a long shank hooked tail chest but I'm going to try those K hooks.

A sign was post outfront on the window last saturday... Norm has recently passed ... Rip

ryryk
09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I
So he has containers of 30? How much do they run? I'm from buena park but I will drive to get good bait. How do u store ur leftovers if u don't plan on fishing for another week or so?

Thanks guys

09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
they run 8bucks for thirty,thats pretty good,norms runs you 5bucks for a dozen.and i only use them for the day,if you store them they die off pretty quick,and then the old lady gets pissed bacause i have them in the fridge.also the fresh dead run about 7bucks for the 30

victor101
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I
So he has containers of 30? How much do they run? I'm from buena park but I will drive to get good bait. How do u store ur leftovers if u don't plan on fishing for another week or so?

Thanks guys

30 for $8
or a container full(around 40) of fresh dead for $7

Keep them in the fridge...they will stay alive for a couple days...maybe 3. You can try freezing leftovers but from my experience...they dont work as good after theyve been frozen.

ghetto dad
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
With all you guys shaking these containers to find out which ones are fresh, NO WONDER some people get dead ones!! :ROFL:

GD

klocked
09-01-2009, 09:41 PM
With all you guys shaking these containers to find out which ones are fresh, NO WONDER some people get dead ones!! :ROFL:

GD

Ya know! actually I've never bought or touched a ghost shrimp. Just sort of stated the obvious:LOL:

cjmedina
01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
does anyone no where i can buy some ghost shrimp near oceanside?

greygrizz
01-16-2010, 03:49 AM
cjmedina pacific bait and tackle used to sell them.They are down by buena vista lagoon. You can catch them in o'side ,low tide down in front of new brige at the harbor. Also I used to catch them Carslbad lagoon.very far east side ,other side of the 5, the place where everyone takes there dogs .Next to the condo's.Also a few innkeeper worms Good luck and keep your drag screaming.

cjmedina
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
cjmedina pacific bait and tackle used to sell them.They are down by buena vista lagoon. You can catch them in o'side ,low tide down in front of new brige at the harbor. Also I used to catch them Carslbad lagoon.very far east side ,other side of the 5, the place where everyone takes there dogs .Next to the condo's.Also a few innkeeper worms Good luck and keep your drag screaming.

sweet thanks for the info

achan618
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I am going up to a timeshare in Ventura over the weekend. Is there a place to buy Ghost Shrimp near Ventura? If not, I'll have to buy some down here in Los Angeles before heading up.