PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Stripey pulls the "Get Out Of Jail Free" Card (Castaic)

Mojave River Angler
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Tim and I took a trip to Castaic Saturday. Visiting new water is always fun to a point, but this place is really overrun. We took the kayak up the west wall and all the way to the upper dam. Fished all the way up and then stayed up there at the buey line for about 2 hours. Went back down the other side of the channel heading back to the south end of the lake and then across the main body of water to the west ramp to call it a day about 3.

The boaders only bothered me a couple of times...ran over my line once and then truned around in front of me only to finally see me only when I'm behind them. Those bums will end up causing someone a bad day some time soon. The lawyers will love them.

I was surprised at how few fish I metered on that side of the lake. Also not sure why I couldn't meter them when the boil went by one time. I need to learn more about my Humminbird I guess.

We trolled many lures and worms. We tried fishing against the bouy for a while too (bait and wait). We threw shiners, chovies, worms, and variious other items and presentations. We never got so much as what could be loosely construed as a bite. We even threw the same bait and similar presentation right next to some guys that were taking them abord one right after another. Nada for us.

So as you can imagine I now have a complete list of all the things I could have done wrong...but I'll spare you all those details leave you wondering how anybody could go to Castaic at this time of year and not catch stripers. I'll only offer as proof that we were indeed at that body of water this pair of photos.

Not sure where I'll fish next. I've still got a burn on to go out of San Diego on a 1.5 or 2 day. Anybody going soon? PM me.

PWBUILDING
08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
check this post out.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=37619

eddie33081
08-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I was there saturday also but fishing from shore. I havent seen that many people fishing from shore before. I would say there were about a 100+ of us just one one side of shoreline.

Everyone had one pole out bait and waiting and the other rigged with a topwater lure. Alot of guys came out with only topwater and didnt even cast. We stayed from 6am-10am and not one person caught a fish. When I was leaving I talked to a guy who said I should be more patient as the boils had been hitting that shoreline and people were nailing 4-8 fish each in the boils. I guess that explained all the people and topwater. I had promised the wifey I'd be home before lunch so I couldnt stick around either way. Im not sure if that boil bite ever came but I know there is a big buzz even on the shore.

So you might want to come back again. It could of just been an offday.

Ed

Mondo21
08-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry about the :Skunk:. Next time use a fishing guide.Last monday my son(Hitts0n) and I went out with "Trout Only Fishing Guide" Man we caught I will say about 35 Stripeys. We gave away 10 and went back out and caught more. You and your Buddy can split the cost and have good conversation and catch lots of fish. Bob is one of the "BEST" Fishing Guides and one of our sponsers at the top of this Thread. Check him out!
Good Luck on your next trip where ever that may be. Cindy:Big Grin:

poolman1
08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Sardines seem to be the bait. If you can get to a marina and get them fresh, even better. Hope this helps.