PDA

View Full Version : What battery with trolling motor on pontoon?

vortec_cruiser
08-28-2009, 12:13 AM
What type of battery are you using for your trolling motor? Some sort of motorcycle battery, I would assume, but which one?

vanillagurilla
08-28-2009, 12:39 PM
most guys use a regular deepcycle marine battery. i think optimas are the smallest but also the most expensive at around 160 bucks.

vortec_cruiser
08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
That would be a pontoon float tube, not an aluminum pontoon boat. I can't imagine carrying a full-size battery.

Flying
08-29-2009, 03:07 AM
That would be a pontoon float tube, not an aluminum pontoon boat. I can't imagine carrying a full-size battery.

Thats what they all use. Can't remember of anybody using a motorcycle battery.

What you need depends a lot on your motor and how you intend to use it.

Ronira
08-29-2009, 02:18 PM
The battery you use is determined by the trolling motor you use.If you chose a motor with a 100 amp hr requirement you'll want a battery that will exceed that output. I use a Minn Kota 36 lb thrust Endura that has a105 amp hr requirement. I use an Everstart deep cycle marine battery that has a 115 amp hr output. I can run all day on a charge no sweat. The size of your toon will tell you what size motor. Here's a pic of my toon with the battery box on the rear deck. I mounted a 3 rod holder on the battery box and it works great.