PDA

View Full Version : October Sierras

tacklejunkie
08-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Anyone heading to the E. Sierras late October?
Will be looking to do a short hike if there's no snow in the hills by then.
Let me know if you'd like to roll with or meet up. Will have some time free to play around up there a bit. Most definitely want to get the backpack out if the weather will allow it.

DropShotMan
08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
im going but its not going to be a short hike maybe 4 hrs in and camp

tacklejunkie
08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Looking to put in about the same mileage/time, possibly more once settled in to pack camp if the weather looks ok. Will probably also spend a few days out of bishop.. one or two on the way up picking on stockers and brownies. Half and half kind of trip. Anyone can join me for either half no problem.

smokinflies
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Anyone heading to the E. Sierras late October?
Will be looking to do a short hike if there's no snow in the hills by then.
Let me know if you'd like to roll with or meet up. Will have some time free to play around up there a bit. Most definitely want to get the backpack out if the weather will allow it.

been thinking about going up in oct.

tacklejunkie
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Here's what I've got cooking. Instead of sending this to a bunch of people I'll post it here.

I am going to do the same trip I did with Matt D and Socalrippin last summer, only this time I am going to hope the weather lets me finish the trip. There is a possibility for catching four species of trout.

Send me a PM if you are interested for dates and locations. The rest you will find here. Just know end of Oct within a stones throw of bishop.

Will be a basic one to two to three days/nights backpack trip with a one to two days/nights around town. Plan on 4 days 3 nights to 5 days 4 nights max.

Everything depends on the weather so plan for an alternate, more local destination if we start taking on water or find that 40mph 18* "breeze"

You will need:

Vehicle, camp fees

Backpack (for backpacking. Medium Cu In. size for extended weekends. A comfortable fit is a must)

Tent (light weight one or two man tent. "Light" starts at 6lbs and goes to 2lbs)

GOOD sleeping bag. (I cannot stress this enough. zero degree ratings!)

Water Purification. (pump for filling your water bottles from the wild waters)

Backpacking Food (ramen, rice, dehydrated food, granola bars, breakfast items, spices and foil for fish, cocktail wieners, army rations.. whatever floats your boat)

Stove (any type you want. Probably a small light weight backpacking style one so you aren't weighed down. I use these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_can_stove) but you have to make and understand them before gaining the cajones to use one in the wild :Twisted:. Most others use something like this (http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Stoves/Fast-And-Light-Stoves/PocketRocket/product)) You'll probably want a cheap mess kit with the stove. I have extras I can lend if necessary. Reason for stove: no camp fires allowed where we're going.

Toiletries (sh*t paper, toothbrush, headache/pain/allergic meds, sunscreen and I find a comb does you good when you get down off the mountain and have to get gas so you don't scare the attendant)

Good Knife (you'll find out why eventually)

Bear Canister (available for rent at bishop "white mountain ranger station" for $5... stops bears from eating your food, mandatory!)

Wilderness Permit (Once I know how many people in our group I will handle this for all of us, if you plan to roll in your own group you will need your own)

There is more I am forgetting that you will need. The main thing to remember is you will have to pack lightly while bringing all this crap with you. You will be hiking it up steep inclines at high elevations where it is hard to breath just standing there.

One thing is for sure, You can count on NO CELL RECEPTION "on the hill". Around town before and after the hike you can get reception no problem. This is not a place where people can come pull you out easily if you slip and fall, so you need to take it with a serious attitude and no goofing around or "trying to hurt yourself" to cut our trip short or cause emergencies.

I'm a laid back person and don't mind whatever it is you do to make you happy as long as you keep it to yourself as I do. I'm not going to say what fish you can or can't keep or what you can and can't do. Anyone is welcome to come along.. but I suggest a few hikes locally to get in shape! Beginning of Oct or a little sooner I will start in with the creek missions again to regain shape myself.

If you still think you want to go, make sure you don't mind missing trick or treat with the kiddies and we'll go get on some REAL treats up in the hills.

This should handle any questions you might have about what this trip entails.

-Mission Briefing

#1) TJ
#2) wild bears
#3) ............................. could be youuuuuuuuuuuu!

mth1997
09-09-2009, 07:35 PM
hahahahaha!!!!! I love the breakdown dude!!

Anyone who's up for this will be happy they went. TJ's a good guy and always fun to chill with. If I didn't already have plans I'd be in for sure.

smalweld
09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Would really like to do this but no lightweight camping gear. Kind of hard to drag a tent trailer behind me on the trail:) Dam truck broke down on me last weekend :( Back to motorcycle fishing :)Let me know when you decide to start the creeking again, would like to meet you out there one time.

Sean

tacklejunkie
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the bump dood.
We don't hook up enough.
Almost time to start getting back in shape.
I'll hit you up when I break out the fly rod for sure.

Looks like I will probably be solo for this one. lol
No worries. I can handle it. More fish for me :Twisted:
I got a bone to pick with those fish in a certain four little lakes tucked in a mountainside. Perhaps some surrounding water fishes as well and a pass climb.

I'll see if I can get up there with you on Thanksgiving too mang.
I don't go up there enough..

Edit:
Will hit you up too smalweld. It's amazing we've driven right past eachother several times now..

IncredibleHuck
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I wish I could go then, but my trip is in two weekends! I just have no friends who want to backpack in, which sucks. Maybe we could plan something next summer?

tacklejunkie
09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
It's usually pretty tough for everyone to line all this up at once.
Next year is always an option. I'll be trying to do this yearly from now on..

Good luck up there Huck. Still some pretty nice lakes for day hiking back there for some awesome inlet fishing. Let us know how it turns out!

Sue
09-10-2009, 08:31 AM
If my Vegas trip is cancelled, I might head up.

steelhead
09-11-2009, 03:24 PM
This sounds fun, i might be down for this, where is everyone coming up from? If we're enarby we should carpool. Looks like I have to go out and pick up a few things. Was planning on picking up tent and sleeping bag for my camping trips anyways

rusty6
09-14-2009, 02:03 PM
when in october were you thinking?