PDA

View Full Version : Reel Maintenance: Rinsing Reels

fish
08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I rinse my reels in my sink after every time I go fishing.

I have heard many different things like loosening the drag when rinsing reels.

My main question is if it is okay to get water into the little holes near the gear on my baitcasting reels.

Thanks in advance for the help

That Dang Guy
08-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Just give them a light mist/spray of water to remove the salt from the surface. The little holes are for drainage. It's okay for them to get wet, just don't blast water into there. Are you dunking your reels into a full sink of water? I don't think it's necessary and would probably end up pushing the salt further into your gear.

I just break down my gear at the end of the season and give them a cleaning and lubing before storing them for the winter. Every 6 months would sound about right.

I don't loosen my drags after each trip, but just before storage. The bevelle washers would probably flatten out after awhile if they're under constant pressure for a long time.

Nessie Hunter
08-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Freshwater?? If so, not to much you can do (adding freshwater after freshwater) But a good rinse and DRY them well...
(line, interior & exterior)
Fresh air and/or sunshine heat, Under a light bulb etc..
Doesnt hurt to tighten drags while adding water (some washers will soak it up, swell and/or fail) dont forget to loosen them back up!!!

Saltwater ?? If so, moderately tighten drags, dunk, soak, run water.. Diluting the salts inside & out as much as possible (without soaking drag washers) is the way to go,,
Then Loosen drags (belville as stated) ... DRY well....

Some non Stainless Steel Ball Bearings & other parts (or poor quality ones) will rust out quick..
Any water contact (even fishing) on cheaper reels will rust those bearings/parts... Fresh or Salt !!

smokehound
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
The best way to clean them is to take the reel apart.