PDA

View Full Version : king harbor/ rocky point mackerel

pasadenafishin
08-26-2009, 04:18 PM
After a failed attempt at catching mackerel off of redondo pier, i now have decided to go fish king harbor. I am fishing for mackerel to use as bait during legends. Im going friday, and am going to rent a boat. Whats the best way to catch mackerel from a boat in king harbor? im not looking for fun, im looking to catch as many mackerel as possible in the shortest time possible. Should i troll? lures etc? Spots? any help is appreciated!

Also, if i am fishing a sabiki rig off of a boat, do i cast it out and jig it in, or do i drop it straight down and jig it?

thanks, PF

Hometown
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I would try next to the bait barge sabaki and sguid strips HT

klocked
08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
If it was me..... I would go to Redondo Sportfishing pier and try there first before renting a skiff.

Set up on the side of the pier not the end.
Cut up 3-5 squid for chum.
Set your pole up with a sabiki if you really want to go that route...
""or""
use a carolina rig with a 1/8th oz slider with a 15" leader and a #6 octopus hook.
While you chum out the squid, just cast out, let it sink about 5' and reel in slow enough to keep the bait from hitting the bottom.

Why did I say all this?....... this is exactly what my son did the other day at that pier and he caught alot of macs.
For $55.00(1/2 day skiff rental) you could buy alot of mackerel from an asian market.

...and of course, bring an ice chest with ice and add some salt water as those macs you catch will get mushy real quick without ice. You wouldn't want all that hard work to go to waste:LOL:

klocked
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
and an FYI just in case......

"Redondo pier" and "Redondo Sportfishing Pier" are not the same piers :Wink:

Hometown
08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Good advice klocked i need to start looking for places to get my macks lobster season 10/3

calico killer kevin
08-26-2009, 06:24 PM
If you're looking for a lot of macs and not much fun, asian markets are the economical way to go. The bait barge is a good place to start. Chum some squid or macs that you catch to get a frenzy going. Small split shots and size 6 octopus hooks will do well as will c-rigs, dropper loops, and sabikis. Mussels are just as effectice if not more than squid. Trolling little crankbaits or small feather jigs are a fun way to fish them too. Might cach one of the resident bones as well.

If you've had your fill of macs, you could always anchor up right off the docks, chum some mussels and fish for some opaleyes on light line. The rip rap and docks will yield big sandies and spotties on big hammers and live bait.

Good Luck