PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 8/26 "Just one of those days!"

CALFISHER4EVR
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Fished Castaic Lake for the first time. Got there about six a.m. and launched the boat.
I do not know much about the lake so I just moved around on the troll checking it out.
Did not see much action just a few striper boils that lasted a few seconds. Decided to
fish for LMB with plastic but did not get any hits. I said to myself, “just one of those days
another slow bite”. Did not even meter much fish at first. Moved close into the bank and
was fishing then the boil started. I threw a wood popper and got hit. “Strike one!” No fish.
Again they busted and the popper was knocked out of the water. It happened again and again.
Too big maybe?
WTF!! Had enough! Went over to the bank and spooned for largemouth because they where
metering three feet from the bank suspended. I am fishing this vertical rock wall and wam!!
Then it just sits there. I was wondering if I snagged. No! I feel a head shake. I was a solid hookset
But it felt like I hooked a stump. I sit there for about three minute it is barely moving. I pull the fish
away from the bank slightly and it moves away slowly. I can not get any line on it just starts to take me
to deep water slowly. I could feel it try to spit the spoon out every few minutes. It is taking drag slowly
as it goes out to deep water. I am getting zero amount of line back. It is just moving out to deep water
like a freaking submarine. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! As it was moving I just stayed on the trolling motor and
follow it out. Then, I notice it is pulling my pole down and no drag is coming out. NOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to untangle the line and snap!! I guess that is what I get because I never spoon with a spinning
reel it is always my baitcaster. First time last time! After I got over my grief, I moved into a cove and the
striper’s were busting. Moved in and the fish where in a feeding frenzy. They actually had bounced of
the side of the boat chasing shad. The fish where about 3lbs from what I could see when they jumped.
Again they just would not hook up. End the day with a good bye Castaic see you much much later.

What do you think that fish was? I was freaking Huge!!!!!!!

skunkmaster
08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Dang that's crazy, maybe it was a monster catfish or something.

Beeracuda211
08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a halibut to me... :Big Grin:

CALFISHER4EVR
08-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds like a halibut to me... :Big Grin:

That is too funny!! It kinda reminded me of a halibut. It just stuck near the bottom the whole time. Probably a big cat.

karlow
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Yea it was a butt!
I hooked one in LBH about a month and a half ago.
She kicked my butt big time, I was on her for about 5 min in 12 ft or water and never saw color. Crap she broke my 25 lb test 3ft down, and we never saw the bit$@.
Gerr!, I did take it out on one of her siblings a few weeks later up north. Been living large since then PB 45.5lb on the Marage!
Get um boys