PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear Lake 8-23

etaggart
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Woke @ 4:30am Saturday ready to hit a nice morning of bassing near the Observatory. Started getting ready in the dark and think I hear something odd ... Rain - Sheesh!!! "No fish gonna bite me in the rain" I thinks, and go back to bed.

Woke @ 4:30am Sunday and got on the water in the tube at 5:30. Water was REALLY murky with pine pollen. Get to the west side of the Observatory and tried everything that's been for me working lately - no bass willing to take. Got a few nice hits, but nothing serious. Picked up a few croppie in the process. The winds picked up early and there were lots of boaters zipping about to make for some nice chop. About 9:30 I started drifting with the wind toward Juniper Point. Picked up some more croppie and had really hard hit on the fly, but lost it. Off the water @ 11 to get other stuff done.

Not the best conditions, but at least it wasn't a total skunk.

Cheers!

ET

skunkmaster
08-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Good getting out there! I cancelled my Sat. AM trip up there due to the chance of rain/thunderstorms, sounds like I made the right call.

Kimura6985
08-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Still alot of kids from school up there? been staying away too many people and traffic on lake, itching to go up soon have couple of new tricks to try out, always a challenge fishin up there, good job on the no skunk, seeing and hearing about too many skunks in Big Bear this year, Cheers

seal
08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
My friend and I skunked on Saturday over by the dam tubing with flys. Really Slow! I think the weather had something to do with it, skunks are way rare for us out at BBL.

Sorry to hear about your slow day, but at least it made me feel a little better about my skunk.

bowler
08-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I was in Big Bear over the weekend with my bow to shoot the carp did not see any. But i also had my pole to set up to fish bass on surface over by the swim beach. I want to fish there just as the sun was setting. Started fishing around 6 pm. Saw mostly carp jumping but i did see a few bass jump. So i toss out my topwater lure by the dock over in the cove. I got hit but did not know that because it just suck it in So i set the hook on it. The bass came out of the water. The bass went one way and the lure went the other way. So i keep on tossing the lure back there and i got one more good hit but lost it. I left around 7:30pm. Did not get any but i at least got a 2 hit on a topwater lure. I have not gotten a bass from a topwater lure in almost 20 years in Big Bear Lake. That is when my parent just got are cabin up there. I am going back this weekend with some friends.

seal
08-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I was in Big Bear over the weekend with my bow to shoot the carp did not see any. But i also had my pole to set up to fish bass on surface over by the swim beach. I want to fish there just as the sun was setting. Started fishing around 6 pm. Saw mostly carp jumping but i did see a few bass jump. So i toss out my topwater lure by the dock over in the cove. I got hit but did not know that because it just suck it in So i set the hook on it. The bass came out of the water. The bass went one way and the lure went the other way. So i keep on tossing the lure back there and i got one more good hit but lost it. I left around 7:30pm. Did not get any but i at least got a 2 hit on a topwater lure. I have not gotten a bass from a topwater lure in almost 20 years in Big Bear Lake. That is when my parent just got are cabin up there. I am going back this weekend with some friends.

The bass were active on the weekend, I should have changed from targeting the trout to bass. I saw a couple little ones caught, did not see any trout caught the hole day.

Simplyeman
08-27-2009, 11:52 AM
How is the fishing by the dam...ive read reports in WON but you know how sketchy those can be.

etaggart
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Not sure about the dam fishing. I've been hunting bass lately so haven't gone to the west-end. However, next time I get up, I'm hoping to spend a late afternoon/early evening around the bouyes in the west end to see if I can find some trouties on the fly.