PDA

View Full Version : Blood bath on the Top Gun 80. 8-23-09

bigtuna52
08-24-2009, 08:00 PM
First time on the Top Gun 80 and let me tell you what a boat. Skipper Scott had us on the fish from sun up to sundown. This epic day produced everything you could want on a 1.5 day.

We slammed albies (100+).....We nailed bluefin ........Slaughtered yellowfin .......we even dabbled with a few skippys. A yellowtail was caught....... dozens of dodo's........a marlin even showed off a little tail walk for us........(yes a marlin). The boat went ape **** when the striped marlin danced for about 15 second on port side then you see the rookie who hooked it come screamin down the rail from the bow. It was awesome.

Of course the first timer hooked the marlin on his ocean trip..., caught a dodo...., and won the jp with a last minute toad albie to the tune of around 35lbs.........so what do you do when you catch your first tuna??????

Yep he ate it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltJoebR4Bk

We had multiple guys on boat who hit grand slams, one was my buddy Gonzo (a.k.a Blinky) Who had no fish til' noon, the last one to boat a fish, and when it was all said and done and the bloodydeck of the Top Gun 80 had turned back to white, his grand total was 3 dodos, 1 Yellow Fin Tuna, 1 Blue Fin Tuna, and an albie. The blinkster hit for the cycle.

His buddy Brian had 9 fish total with a back to back to back albies in a matter of about 10 mins right at dusk.

My father also had a total of 9 fish and his long time fishin pal Mike C had the hot stick with a hookup at every jig stop. Seriously every stop. he must of handed off 10 fish after his limit.

The best 1.5 dayer of all times.........

Oh btw the fish hit every bait that hit the water, unless you were using smoke purple line by Yo-zuri...... nothing would touch it.... my first and last time using it. Im talking WIDE open and...... zilch with that line. Need to find a line that i can trust.

flopps1
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
What an awesome trip! That's pretty much what you hope for on a 1 1/2 trip! Great report and pics. Congrats!!!!!

NY4Reels!
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Congrats on your epic tuna slaying trip! Does not seem like it could have been any better!

calico killer kevin
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Nice! Wrapping a new rod for a trip on the Daiwa Pacific next thurday for a 2 day. Hope we get into something half as nice as you did.

troutdog
08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Awesome 1.5 day trip....sounds like you were on the right boat for sure!

I am pretty much sold on Izorline XXX, reasonably priced and tough as nails!

TD

Nessie Hunter
08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Epic trip, congrats.....

Hope the bite holds up for awhile..... (got a 7 day in the near future)..

Izor XXX is the hot ticket right now..???
Im a cheap basterd & use CLEAR Big Game..
No color in the Saltwater for me...

I will use green in shallow Freshwater and the bays...

troutdog
08-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Izor XXX is the hot ticket right now..???
Im a cheap basterd & use CLEAR Big Game..

I'm not claiming it to be the hot ticket per se, but I have taken a liking to it after Timster suggested giving it a try a couple seasons ago. I have been using it the past couple years for everything from trout to tuna and I have not had a single complaint....I like Big game as well, both are no frill/no nonsense lines that simply get the job done.

TD

JapanRon
08-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi bigtuna52,

Excellent recap on your trip.

Thanks,

JapanRon

samgann93
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
great job.

try izorline first string in blue. it hold up a little better than the xxx but if you can change line alot get the xxx.

boxl0bster
08-26-2009, 05:54 PM
nice slay!!!! too bad about the line! i just stick with good ol' ande line. thanks for the report. :Cool:

russ88
08-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Outstanding report.... Glad it was a great trip for everyone!