PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 8/23 Evening Session - Poachers Sighting... Are You Serious?!?

Wingnut
08-24-2009, 12:01 AM
After spending the first half of my Sunday slaying Stripers with Bob (TroutOnly), my sister and my niece.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=381127#post381127

I decided to head out to a local spot for an evening surf session. I hit the surf from 6:30 - 8:00pm, an hour and a half of winding down time to get me ready for a new work week. Not much of a catch to post and certainly not worthy of a full report, but I have to make people aware of an incident that took place right before I left the surf tonight.

The catch of the one and a half hour surf session.
A couple of "very" short Flatties.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur003-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur032.jpg

A small Calico Bass.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur001-5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur002-4.jpg

A short White Sea Bass.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur009-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur008-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur010-2.jpg

It was a very relaxing evening session until...
It was almost eight o'clock and I started to work my way back to the car when I noticed three guys walking down to the surf at a distance. It was getting kinda dark but I can still see what they were doing. They spread out about 30 yards or so in the surf and started throwing a hand-cast net. I couldn't believe my eyes... :Shocked: throwing these net into the surf and dragging it back to the beach. Then picking the fish out of the nets and putting it in the ice chest. :Evil: I watched them from a distance for several minutes, to make sure that I really am seeing what I'm seeing. Yup, that's exactly what they were doing... My initial emotion was one of anger, I was downright pissed. I took a moment to calm down and analyzed the situation to see how I was going to handle this. Let's see... three of them... one of me. :LOL: Maybe they don't know what they are doing is illegal... yeah right, that's why they snuck down here when the sun is going down and when hardly anybody is around. Maybe they are working for the DFG and collecting fish specimen in the area... probably not.

In any case... I said to myself, "Arthur, no need to hate... just try to educate."

I walked up the guy closest to me and took a pic as he was throwing... he looked at me and started dragging the net towards the beach. Unfazed with the fact that somebody was watching him now, he proudly showed me his catch in the net proceeded to empty it out. Which had two BSP's and a YFC in it. He threw the fish on the sand and walked back into the surf to throw the net out again. :Shocked:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur014-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur012-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur013-2.jpg

The other two guys saw me and walked over. One of them pointed at my camera, shook his head and said, "No, no..." I put away my camera and try to communicate with them that this was "no good"... and of course they didn't speak any English. :Angry: After a couple of minutes of failing to communicate, frustrated... I walked back to my car, knowing damn well that they did understand some, if not most of what I was trying to say. I have no doubt that they knew what they were doing was illegal. :Evil:

I called the Cal-Tip Hotline (888) 334-2258, followed the automated prompts and after a lengthy hold time... this was the conversation.

Operator: Would you like to file a violation report...?"
Wingnut: Yes, but can I ask you a question first?
Operator: This is not an information line sir.
Wingnut: I just want to confirm if something is illegal before I file a complaint.
Operator: Then you should call the DFG first before calling us.
Wingnut: Uh... okay, if I file a complaint with you, how do you know if the activity is even illegal...?
Operator: I don't, your report will go to the department that will determine that... what county did the violation take place?
Wingnut: Los Angeles.
Operator: Please hold...

I was placed on hold for a very long time and nobody picked up. Called back the second time and was disconnected while on hold. Called back one more time and was put on perpetual hold again... :Rolls Eyes:
Sometimes, it's hard to do the right thing. :Neutral:

I wished that I had the rest of the S.W.A.T. with me tonight... Mike (Bones) & Steve (Flyngby) would surely have my back when I confiscate those nets and throw the fish back into the surf. :LOL:

Anyways... hope your surf sessions was more enjoyable than mine this weekend. Remember to be true to others... and most of all, to yourself.

Keep in mind that in life, we're all in the race together... the "Human Race."

Arthur (Wingnut)

"I would rather live my life believing that there is a God, and die to find out that there isn't one. Than to live my life like there was no God, and die to find out that there is one..."

Parting shot.
Blast to the Past.
Who is this Puppy? :Wink:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur001-3.jpg

victor101
08-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Wow...i have never seen anything like that..I hope they step on a sting ray!

Fisherman57
08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Nice report Arthur!... always cool getting a WSB from the surf!

I need to research the DFG reg a little closer........ but here's a bit of what is says in regards to the cast net........

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be
used north of Point Conception to take such species.

So.......... Im thinking they were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts...... they were more than likely POACHING.

Good looking out Arthur........... and EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!

sansou
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
First, where do you even get the energy to go surf fishing after striper pillaging with TO all day???

Secondly: nice catch on the WSB!

Last, as far as the poaching is concerned: you did what you could, which is to try and call CalTip. We all know California's government is broken right now...perhaps the day will come when DFG will be properly funded. Until then, you try to politely educate, and if that don't work, you try to call DFG.

I share your aggravation, even if it is a BSP being poached.

P.S. I like your reference to Pascal's Gambit.

Troutman65
08-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Arthur, Nice going on that white Seabass.

You did what you could being alone. Thats something. :Wink:

Thanks for sharing .

I would rather live my life believing that there is a God, and die to find out that there isn't one. Than to live my life like there was no God, and die to find out that there is one..."

Me too :!!!::Wink::Big Grin:

troutdog
08-24-2009, 01:25 AM
You are an animal Arthur, that is a serious day of fishing for a Sunday....nice job on the surf variety pack and tryin to get the illegal nets out of the surf. Hope one of those guys stepped on a stingray er sumthing! :Wink:

TD

hbomb
08-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I think that was victor101 in the pic :ROFL: Jk. ha ha... I cant believe they were doing that, whens the DFG when you need them. Thanks for the report. :Cool:

Nessie Hunter
08-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Boundless energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going out on a limb here??
Probably illegals..
I have seen them at dusk in Cabo several times in the evening, walking the surf, throwing throw nets (which isnt an easy task for the average guy, try it!! LMAO)..
Its whats for dinner!!!!
They probably have no clue something so basic to them would be illegal...
No excuse for not knowing the Regs in Calif...

But on the other hand, they get here illegally, they drive illegally, they work illegally.. Im sure they dont care much if they fish illegally......

Sometimes the local police will respond and ????
During the day, harbor patrol & lifeguards will also (sometimes) respond at least its something?????

DFG is not a good choice if you need a response.... No one home!!!!!

Dont forget, this goes on every single day, in many different ways, at 'every' body of water..
Many are locals who do it.... Almost all know it wrong - illegall...
The damage is Exponential and devastating to our fisheries........

MAVERICK27
08-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Great job Arthur! Sometimes doing the right thing is not the easiest way out. I guess that is what separates the people who know the right thing and those who DO the right thing. I am proud to be a part of this team!!

tpfishnfool
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Come on now... This is Southern California!! This crap happens all day everyday. Its unfortunate but true. I feel your pain Wingnut.

jerryG
08-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Glad to see you caught a few fish making for a short but sweet trip. It looks the guys with the throw nets took a break from poaching Legg Lake yesterday evening to scout some new waters. It's become a common sight these days to see the poachers out number those who fish within limitations of the law. California has a lot of laws in place to help protect the fisheries just no one to enforce it. The DFG has no budget and is poorly managed. As a result the fisheries take the hit and anglers pay the price.. Less fish to catch and soon we will have a lot less areas left open to fish in. Of course the closed areas will continue to be hit by poachers and with the absence of fisherman in these areas there will be no one around to call DFG to file a report on the poachers.

Poachers have very little fear of being caught by enforcement which has no presence on the water. I have found poachers fall in to one of two catagories. The first being one those who poach to feed their family and friends. The second catagory being those who poach to feed their wallet. The limit laws are very generous IMO but I guess it's just not enough for some. It would be nice to see justice prevail once in a while perhaps it would help restore some of the long lost confidence in our system.

JerryG

pasadenafishin
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Nice report, As bad as the cast netting is, i give the guy doing it props. In massachusetts i cast net (100% legal) and it is DIFFICULT! you cast it over boiling fish and you still cant get em, Its hard!! But still i know its illegal in CA so thats a bummer..

cool WSB!

Cangler
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
That poor YFC :mad:

This net casting happens a lot on 5th Street in broad daylight

Badbeat
08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
That is some bullsh*t right there. :Evil: They sounded like pros to me, hopefully they'll be caught somewhere down the road. Kudos for trying to set them straight Art. Nice WSB from the surf.

Justl1keRaven
08-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I wished that I had the rest of the S.W.A.T. with me tonight... Mike (Bones) & Steve (Flyngby) would surely have my back when I confiscate those nets and throw the fish back into the surf. :LOL:

Do you guys have the legitimate power and jurisdiction to do that? It's good to surf legally, but is it our job to enforce that? I don't know, I could imagine if you did that someone would pull out a weapon to answer you.

Wingnut
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Do you guys have the legitimate power and jurisdiction to do that? It's good to surf legally, but is it our job to enforce that? I don't know, I could imagine if you did that someone would pull out a weapon to answer you.

Probably not... but here's a quote to keep in mind the next time you decide to turn the other cheek and not get involved.

"I used to think why didn't somebody do something...?
Then I realized, I was that somebody."

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen... and those who don't know what's happening. Which one are you?

We can make a difference...

IN2DEEP
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Wingnut,
That sucks!!! (the poaching)
It's illegal in So.Cal to use a throw net.

It wouldn't hurt to make a report to the Cal-Tip Hotline on what you saw going on.
Hopefully they will alert their wardens as to the illegal activities happening on that certain beach.
I bet it isn't the first time that they've poached there.

Cool WSB! :Thumbs Up:
Scott

LunkerLover
08-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Wingnut,

It wouldn't hurt to make a report to the Cal-Tip Hotline on what you saw going on.

Scott

Dude :Cool: Did you even read his full post???? hah! :Big Grin:

Nhatster
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, the DFG man power is stretched to the limit. Even more so with all the budget cuts going on. Sad to see that kind of crap happening but people are right, it happens everyday. You tried your best bro and that's more than most would do. :Cool:

Justl1keRaven
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Probably not... but here's a quote to keep in mind the next time you decide to turn another cheek and not get involved.

"I used to think why didn't somebody do something...?
Then I realized, I was that somebody."

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen... and those who don't know what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

We can make a difference...

That is true, but just want everyone to be safe =)

bsp
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Such BS. Man I friggin hate poachers, and have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Funny how that guy was like "No camera' when he saw you. He knew he was doing something wrong and all of those idiots deserve to be tossed in jail. Anybody who has ANY sympathy for dumb***** like this is just as bad as they are.

Congrats on scoring a WSB from the surf Arthur. That's a rare accomplishment, and one I still have to achieve. Not too shabby for a 1.5hrs in the surf!

vanillagurilla
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
i belive cast nets are legal in so cal salt water but they have to be under 3' curcumfrance or some bs.

FishNFurious
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
But on the other hand, they get here illegally, they drive illegally, they work illegally.. Im sure they dont care much if they fish illegally......

Ain't that the truth! Sad but true. :Sad:
I presume that they don't have fishing licenses either? :LOL:
Not bad for a short session Arthur, it would take me all day to catch what you did in just over an hour. :Envious:

calico killer kevin
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I feel you dude. There was a guy tossing a cast net yesterday at Bolsa Chica too. Good thing he sucked at it haha.

daveg456
08-24-2009, 04:33 PM

During the day, harbor patrol & lifeguards will also (sometimes) respond at least its something?????

FYI, if you see poaching going on, contact the lifeguard or police. I've been surf fishing Huntington and had the lifeguard ask to see my license. Probably a better response than cal tip.

SHAD MAN 09
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Great post as always nice seeing someone hook into the fish:Big Grin: and nice wsb. especially in the surf . But all the border brothers need to be takin care of by someone and it aint going to be the DFG there a joke in california if anything the police in the area should know and enforce the laws also but Really its sad to see people doing that and with all the money we pay to get a license we sure dont see that money at work. Ive been fishing since I could remeber and love it like the rest of you guys. But ive seen people doing crap like that for years and it sucks to see nothing happen. Maybe if they put huge signs in spanish for those dummys that act like they dont know english.:Angry: but wait that cost money too so dont expect any change for a while sad but true.:Sad:
SHAD MAN 09

Fisherman57
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Arthur,

I spoke with Carrie Wilson (DFG) and she confirmed the following:

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species.

This means the nets cannot be used south of Point Conception (Santa Barbara County) at all.

North of Pt. Conception they can only be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid

So.......... these guys were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts........ he was POACHING in more ways than one!

Good looking out Arthur........... EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!

tacklejunkie
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I saw some dude snagging out there today. Trying to snag huge mullets I think. They were big ol fish. The ones that jump all around. He actually snagged and had one on the line! He was like ripping it then reeling in the slack super fast and ripping it again. He actually nailed one but it got off!

I always saw them slinging that big pyramid sinker with a treble hook above it wondering what the heck they were trying to snag. I finally saw them snag a fish today and figured it out. I don't know if that's illegal or not but I'll have to look it up. Doesn't look right or in any way voluntary on behalf of the fish.

I was saying "are you serious?!" to myself today just like you yesterday. Instead of researching to catch those fish they learn tricks to snag them involuntarily. I guess all it is to them is dinner?

Looks like you still had fun regardless of the shorties. Don't worry that's all I catch. Cool WSB too man I gotta catch one of those. Be careful mingling with those poachers. You did the right thing. No reason to fight anyways even if you have backup. You know they'll get what is coming to them. They'll catch the wrong fish one day, some nasty jellyfish or something.

blackwater
08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
You slayed stripers with Bob all day and still didn't satisfy the itch??? :Shocked:
The only reason that you're able to do that my friend is because you are SINGLE! :LOL: I didn't see your Castaic report yet :???:
Poachers are everywhere and they don't care, because they know the chances of them getting caught is next to zip. :!!!: But we all must do what we can, whenever we can. Can't wait for the Legends event this Saturday, see everybody there! :Cool:

megafisher94
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
it just kills me that those nets are sold at the orange walmart. i detoured a guy from getting one after i told him it was illegal... nice fish as usual.

BIGRED KILLA
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the pics and report Arthur. Sucks about the poachers hopefully they will learn with a big fat ticket or mr. Leo says hello to there legs.

Bigred

Santa Fe Eric
08-24-2009, 06:15 PM
At Walmart, there is usually a sign saying they are illegal to use in Cali. However, they will still sell them, at a good price no less!

Nice work Wingnut! You are the man!
You stick your hand in the mouth of a Halibut
You stick your camera in face of 3 poachers
You may become "The most interesting man in the world"

basscatcher
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
thats terrible. but what is a ''bsp'' but anyway way to go on the white seabass

God Bless

basscatcher

jig fish
08-24-2009, 10:32 PM

God Bless

basscatcher

bsp= barred surf perch

Wingnut
08-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow...i have never seen anything like that..I hope they step on a sting ray!
Neither have I Vic... Poseidon should send a Sting Ray to greet them. :Twisted:

Nice report Arthur!... always cool getting a WSB from the surf!

I need to research the DFG reg a little closer........ but here's a bit of what is says in regards to the cast net........

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be
used north of Point Conception to take such species.

So.......... Im thinking they were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts...... they were more than likely POACHING.

Good looking out Arthur........... and EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!
Thanks for the info. Dana, they were definitely poaching... and good at it too. :Evil:

First, where do you even get the energy to go surf fishing after striper pillaging with TO all day???

Secondly: nice catch on the WSB!

Last, as far as the poaching is concerned: you did what you could, which is to try and call CalTip. We all know California's government is broken right now...perhaps the day will come when DFG will be properly funded. Until then, you try to politely educate, and if that don't work, you try to call DFG.

I share your aggravation, even if it is a BSP being poached.

P.S. I like your reference to Pascal's Gambit.
I just waited for my second wind to kick in Rich. :LOL:
The WSB was a nice surprise, lets see if I can get a legal size one now.
As for the poachers, I know it's only some Perch, but they WILL NOT stop there. It would be disappointing to see something like a Leo or a nice Calico stuck in those nets and I'm sure some have been. :Neutral:
Pascal's theory is very interesting, you think he's an atheist? :Wink:

Arthur, Nice going on that white Seabass.

You did what you could being alone. Thats something. :Wink:

Thanks for sharing .

I would rather live my life believing that there is a God, and die to find out that there isn't one. Than to live my life like there was no God, and die to find out that there is one..."

Me too :!!!::Wink::Big Grin:
Thanks Patrick, I wasn't looking for a confrontation, but it was really tough to keep my anger in check.
Good luck in finding a new job, I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle in no time. :Cool:

You are an animal Arthur, that is a serious day of fishing for a Sunday....nice job on the surf variety pack and tryin to get the illegal nets out of the surf. Hope one of those guys stepped on a stingray er sumthing! :Wink:

TD
It was a very long day... it is rare that I hit the fresh & salt in the same day.
See you on Saturday Aaron. :Cool:

I think that was victor101 in the pic :ROFL: Jk. ha ha... I cant believe they were doing that, whens the DFG when you need them. Thanks for the report. :Cool:
Actually, there was a little resemblance. :LOL:
The DFG is doing the best they can with the resources that they currently have.

I am going out on a limb here??
Probably illegals..
I have seen them at dusk in Cabo several times in the evening, walking the surf, throwing throw nets (which isnt an easy task for the average guy, try it!! LMAO)..
Its whats for dinner!!!!
They probably have no clue something so basic to them would be illegal...
No excuse for not knowing the Regs in Calif...

Dont forget, this goes on every single day, in many different ways, at 'every' body of water..
Many are locals who do it.... Almost all know it wrong - illegall...
The damage is Exponential and devastating to our fisheries........

You sound as frustrated as I am Frank... we're on the same page on this one. I don't care if you're a legal resident or not, or whatever nationality you are... poaching is poaching.

Great job Arthur! Sometimes doing the right thing is not the easiest way out. I guess that is what separates the people who know the right thing and those who DO the right thing. I am proud to be a part of this team!!
When you have a clear understanding of what's right & wrong... it's easier to do the right thing. See you & the family at Legends Chris.

Come on now... This is Southern California!! This crap happens all day everyday. Its unfortunate but true. I feel your pain Wingnut.
Unfortunately, you are right... this kinda stuff goes on every single day. :Neutral:

Glad to see you caught a few fish making for a short but sweet trip. It looks the guys with the throw nets took a break from poaching Legg Lake yesterday evening to scout some new waters. It's become a common sight these days to see the poachers out number those who fish within limitations of the law. California has a lot of laws in place to help protect the fisheries just no one to enforce it. The DFG has no budget and is poorly managed. As a result the fisheries take the hit and anglers pay the price.. Less fish to catch and soon we will have a lot less areas left open to fish in. Of course the closed areas will continue to be hit by poachers and with the absence of fisherman in these areas there will be no one around to call DFG to file a report on the poachers.

Poachers have very little fear of being caught by enforcement which has no presence on the water. I have found poachers fall in to one of two catagories. The first being one those who poach to feed their family and friends. The second catagory being those who poach to feed their wallet. How I wish they could caught and sentenced to maximum punishment by law. Unfortunately they are almost never but for the few DFG are out there their poachers being all the time.

JerryG
Thanks for the insight Jerry, we have a long way to go to even get a handle on this problem. :!!!:

Nice report, As bad as the cast netting is, i give the guy doing it props. In massachusetts i cast net (100% legal) and it is DIFFICULT! you cast it over boiling fish and you still cant get em, Its hard!! But still i know its illegal in CA so thats a bummer..

cool WSB!
They should move to Massachusetts then... :LOL:

That poor YFC :mad:

This net casting happens a lot on 5th Street in broad daylight
Yeah Cangler, I know you would have cried seeing the poor YFC flopping around in the sand. :LOL:

That is some bullsh*t right there. :Evil: They sounded like pros to me, hopefully they'll be caught somewhere down the road. Kudos for trying to set them straight Art. Nice WSB from the surf.
These guys were definitely not rookies. They work too efficiently to be part-time poachers.

Wingnut,
That sucks!!! (the poaching)
It's illegal in So.Cal to use a throw net.

Hopefully they will alert their wardens as to the illegal activities happening on that certain beach.
I bet it isn't the first time that they've poached there.

Scott
Your tip is well noted Scott. :Wink:

Yeah, the DFG man power is stretched to the limit. Even more so with all the budget cuts going on. Sad to see that kind of crap happening but people are right, it happens everyday. You tried your best bro and that's more than most would do. :Cool:
I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if I didn't at least try to do something about it.

That is true, but just want everyone to be safe =)
I appreciate your concern. :Cool:

Such BS. Man I friggin hate poachers, and have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Funny how that guy was like "No camera' when he saw you. He knew he was doing something wrong and all of those idiots deserve to be tossed in jail. Anybody who has ANY sympathy for dumb***** like this is just as bad as they are.

Congrats on scoring a WSB from the surf Arthur. That's a rare accomplishment, and one I still have to achieve. Not too shabby for a 1.5hrs in the surf!
I could tell that you were quite upset when I was talking to you on the phone Marc. That's because you care...
Man, I hope you get well soon buddy, there's a big legal waiting in the surf for you to come & get it!

i belive cast nets are legal in so cal salt water but they have to be under 3' curcumfrance or some bs.
Dana posted the regs, check it out.

Ain't that the truth! Sad but true. :Sad:
I presume that they don't have fishing licenses either? :LOL:
Not bad for a short session Arthur, it would take me all day to catch what you did in just over an hour. :Envious:
Nope, no fishing licenses in sight Vince, not that it would make me feel any better if they did have them.

I feel you dude. There was a guy tossing a cast net yesterday at Bolsa Chica too. Good thing he sucked at it haha.
It happens just about everywhere Kevin, most just goes under the radar that's all.

FYI, if you see poaching going on, contact the lifeguard or police. I've been surf fishing Huntington and had the lifeguard ask to see my license. Probably a better response than cal tip.
Good to know... your suggestion is noted. :Cool:

Great post as always nice seeing someone hook into the fish:Big Grin: and nice wsb. especially in the surf . But all the border brothers need to be takin care of by someone and it aint going to be the DFG there a joke in california if anything the police in the area should know and enforce the laws also but Really its sad to see people doing that and with all the money we pay to get a license we sure dont see that money at work. Ive been fishing since I could remeber and love it like the rest of you guys. But ive seen people doing crap like that for years and it sucks to see nothing happen. Maybe if they put huge signs in spanish for those dummys that act like they dont know english.:Angry: but wait that cost money too so dont expect any change for a while sad but true.:Sad:
SHAD MAN 09
Putting up signs in Spanish won't help... targeting a specific ethnic group doesn't make sense. Actually enforcing the law and severe penalties is the only way. Once the word get out that the DFG means business... we may start to see some progress being made.

Arthur,

I spoke with Carrie Wilson (DFG) and she confirmed the following:

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species.

This means the nets cannot be used south of Point Conception (Santa Barbara County) at all.

North of Pt. Conception they can only be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid

So.......... these guys were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts........ he was POACHING in more ways than one!

Good looking out Arthur........... EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!

Thanks for the info. once again Dana. It confirms what I was thinking all the way. Everybody should be aware that these characters are out there. If you do see these kind of activities taking place, at the very least, please make a phone call. :Cool:

I saw some dude snagging out there today. Trying to snag huge mullets I think. They were big ol fish. The ones that jump all around. He actually snagged and had one on the line! He was like ripping it then reeling in the slack super fast and ripping it again. He actually nailed one but it got off!

I always saw them slinging that big pyramid sinker with a treble hook above it wondering what the heck they were trying to snag. I finally saw them snag a fish today and figured it out. I don't know if that's illegal or not but I'll have to look it up. Doesn't look right or in any way voluntary on behalf of the fish.

I was saying "are you serious?!" to myself today just like you yesterday. Instead of researching to catch those fish they learn tricks to snag them involuntarily. I guess all it is to them is dinner?

Looks like you still had fun regardless of the shorties. Don't worry that's all I catch. Cool WSB too man I gotta catch one of those. Be careful mingling with those poachers. You did the right thing. No reason to fight anyways even if you have backup. You know they'll get what is coming to them. They'll catch the wrong fish one day, some nasty jellyfish or something.
I'm not really clear on the snagging regs Casey, but like the throw nets, they do have certain restrictions too I'm sure.
I never complain about anything I catch out of the surf... legal or short. I consider everything I pull out of the surf a blessing. See you Saturday!

You slayed stripers with Bob all day and still didn't satisfy the itch??? :Shocked:
The only reason that you're able to do that my friend is because you are SINGLE! :LOL: I didn't see your Castaic report yet.
Poachers are everywhere and they don't care, because they know the chances of them getting caught is next to zip. But we all must do what we can, whenever we can. Can't wait for the Legends event this Saturday, see everybody there! :Cool:
I satisfied the freshwater itch Phuong. The saltwater one needs scratching too. :LOL: The Castaic report is finally done, I was exhausted last night and could only do one report. See you Saturday my friend.

it just kills me that those nets are sold at the orange walmart. i detoured a guy from getting one after i told him it was illegal... nice fish as usual.
It's like selling a bank robber a gun and hoping that he doesn't use it... :!!!:

Thanks for the pics and report Arthur. Sucks about the poachers hopefully they will learn with a big fat ticket or mr. Leo says hello to there legs.

Bigred
Karma Lucas, karma... they will get theirs soon enough.

At Walmart, there is usually a sign saying they are illegal to use in Cali. However, they will still sell them, at a good price no less!

Nice work Wingnut! You are the man!
You stick your hand in the mouth of a Halibut
You stick your camera in face of 3 poachers
You may become "The most interesting man in the world"
Thanks Big "E". Looking forward to hanging out with you at Legends my friend. :Big Grin:

God Bless

basscatcher
Barred Surf Perch... my first surf fish and responsible for many Skunkbusters and countless smiles.

olfishergal
08-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I just saw this and boy that makes me madddddder n' hell. Those guys are well versed in using a cast net. many years ago when i was a lot younger, I lived on eastern seaboard where those nets are legal. We used them for shrimp. Any thing else that happened to get in got tossed back. You have to be well versed in their use. This is obviously not their first time. Takes practice to use one. Sad state of affairs when our wonderful governor ie government cuts funding to things like healthcare, schools, and protection of all of our fisheries......hence poachers acclerate their activity and the environment suffers. Funny, if I was the one running, I would cut the legislature salaries, cut aid to illegals, make all the welfare folks get off their butts and get a job (the ones the illegals get), then return healthcare, fund the colleges not raise tuition, and build a force equal to a police officer to check licenses and ticket in great number all the illegal activity that is going on unchecked. My rant can go on and on but enough already. Glad you had a wonderful surf and stripper day. See you Saturday. OFG

smokehound
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately, spring and summer go largely unenforced on the surf due to the DFG's attention directed towards reptiles in the deserts.

The majority of DFG wardens are all around the deserts checking on people collecting reptiles.

With kingsnakes, Rosy boas, Gila Monsters, Desert iguanas, Colorado river toads, and many other popular reptiles being in our deserts, poachers take advantage of this and start little businesses. it is illegal to sell any Native californian reptiles in California. But its legal to sell them elsewhere, unless prohibited by state law.

That is, you could illegally capture a pair of gila Monsters, breed them in another state, and sell their babies in like.. Wisconsin. The resulting offspring are legal to sell with a breeder's permit. This is a huge business.

They should allow civilians to place offenders under citizen's arrest. Now THAT would get some progress going, for a much cheaper price. Plus alot of us might even do it for free, go fishing, bust some poachers, have better fish. :D

Nessie Hunter
08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
They should allow civilians to place offenders under citizen's arrest. :D

Ive been retired for almost 15 yrs, and dont keep up with that much anymore.....???

But that has been an option as long as I can remember....
Dont think its changed???????........

In today's violent and litigious society it doesnt happen much..

Just remember;

All it takes for Evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing.....

If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem....

bsp
08-25-2009, 05:53 PM
I could tell that you were quite upset when I was talking to you on the phone Marc. That's because you care...
Man, I hope you get well soon buddy, there's a big legal waiting in the surf for you to come & get it!

Yeah, I need to control my temper a little better, but as you said I get so upset because I care about stuff like that a lot.

I do too Arthur! This stupid infection has made it so I lost 4lbs of muscle, so I feel pretty weak and tired. A big 30in halibut release is just what I need.

YakN'Surf
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
That blows! They're probably all stoked cuz they eat for free every night, but this is how im gonna look at it, the cancers gonna get em eventually. lol, do you guys ever read the health warnings in the back of the Reg booklet. Surfperch once every two weeks. Thats scary stuff.

smalweld
08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I would have loved to have taken there picture and when they said no, I would have said that my name is Barney Fife and I am from the local paper doing a story on fishing. I saw that you were using and unconventional type of fishing and me being the inquisitive one asked what kind of fish are you fishing for? I would like to have your permission to take pictures of you guys doing this and your names and addresses so I can mail you the pictures that I took. This way you can help me pick out the best pictures to put in the paper. I would then contact the local law enforcement and show them the evidence. Umm can you say busted!!!! Also get the name and number of the police officer to follow up on this and let them know that you will gladly show up in court to say that yes you took the pictures and that what they were doing is against the law and that stupidity of the law is not an excuse..

Ohh and to the poster that said that everyone is doing it.. Evidently everyone is not doing it just a few guys and those that are need to be told and when possible given a huge fine. How do we know that these guys have not been told or ticketed before?? How many times have we went up to poachers and talked to them about if the bite is good or bad but as soon as we try to educate them we get the sorry no habla!!

OFG I couldnt have agreed more.. Can't we just send em back and get our own working instead of being on the gov't dime???

Sean

HelloBendo420
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM
maybe he was trying to feed his family.... not everyone can afford to by $500 fishing equipment and fish for fun. some people are just trying to eat. I'd rather have this dude use a net to get some food for his family then rob a house or break into a car to try and make ends meet.

i just try not to judge people. to each his own.
it may not be the right thing to do, but you gotta do what you gotta do to surive sometimes.

just because something is illegal doesn't mean that it's wrong.

we're all a bunch of fisherman saints, right?? there's no way anybody here would even consider doing anything to cause damage to the environment, right??(i.e. huge gas guzzling vehicles that get 12 mpg) no way, not me...lol
i try not to judge people, you never know what kind of situation these people are in.

oh man, i'm gonna get reamed for this one... oh well, just my two cents

Wingnut
08-25-2009, 11:24 PM
maybe he was trying to feed his family....
If they need to catch fish to feed their families, maybe they should buy a rod & reel and "fish" for them.

not everyone can afford to by $500 fishing equipment and fish for fun.
Rod envy?

some people are just trying to eat. I'd rather have this dude use a net to get some food for his family then rob a house or break into a car to try and make ends meet.
You sound like a kind of person that don't care what happens... as long as it doesn't happen to you. Am I close with that assessment of your character?

it may not be the right thing to do, but you gotta do what you gotta do to surive sometimes.
So if they choose to "rob a house or break into a car..." that would be okay right? Afterall, they're only doing what they need to do to survive.

Give me three good examples to support your statement and I'll send you a $500 set-up for your argument. Make it good.

we're all a bunch of fisherman saints, right?? there's no way anybody here would even consider doing anything to cause damage to the environment, right??(i.e. huge gas guzzling vehicles that get 12 mpg) no way, not me...lol
i try not to judge people, you never know what kind of situation these people are in.
No matter what dire situations in life that you find yourself in... right is always right and wrong is always wrong. Didn't your parents teach you that?
I know plenty of people that struggles daily who refuses to break the law to make ends meet.
Trying to justify your own wrongdoing is selfish... and sad.

oh man, i'm gonna get reamed for this one... oh well, just my two cents.
Nobody is gonna ream you for stating your opinions... but be ready to back them up.

"What is right is always right, even if everyone is against it. What is wrong is always wrong, even if everyone is for it."

hoosierfisher
08-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Good report as always... Your reports always want to make me get on the surf....

It's a sad thing about poachers. I'd tried to stop them before and it got no where...

Soon or later, they will have to pay. The best part is to see shock on their faces when I "catch & release" legals right in front of them. I see them having heart attacks.

When I see poachers, I purposely release right in front of them if chance should arise...

You keep this report "alive and kicking"... keep up the good spirit and I hope to run into you one of these days...

TIGHT LINES!!!

jerryG
08-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Just remember;

Thanks for the words of wisdom very well said Nessie.

JerryG

fishinone
08-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Wingnut,

Thank you for your efforts. You did the right thing.

If it's their habit they'll eventually be caught.

Justl1keRaven
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
If they need to catch fish to feed their families, maybe they should buy a rod & reel and "fish" for them.

Rod envy?

some people are just trying to eat. I'd rather have this dude use a net to get some food for his family then rob a house or break into a car to try and make ends meet.
You sound like a kind of person that don't care what happens... as long as it doesn't happen to you. Am I close with that assessment of your character?

So if they choose to "rob a house or break into a car..." that would be okay right? Afterall, they're only doing what they need to do to survive.

Give me three good examples to support your statement and I'll send you a $500 set-up for your argument. Make it good.

No matter what dire situations in life that you find yourself in... right is always right and wrong is always wrong. Didn't your parents teach you that?
I know plenty of people that struggles daily who refuses to break the law to make ends meet.

Nobody is gonna ream you for stating your opinions... but be ready to back them up.

"What is right is always right, even if everyone is against it. What is wrong is always wrong, even if everyone is for it."

Alright I am going to give it a stab.

1. Robbing and stealing fish is completely different. Robbing can cause harm to a particular person, whereas the law has a implied leeway in harming animals vs people. People are by far more important, otherwise many laws and ethical regulations would pass for us to be more towards like PETA. Sure, someone can break into someone's house to survive, but why would someone do that if it won't give a definite outcome? They wouldn't know exactly what is inside the house, but when they poach, they know what they're getting--fish. When robbing someone's house, the defending person can fight back using weapon or any sort of firearm. By nature, humans like to avoid conflicts and perhaps go the easier route. I am not saying EVERYONE is like that, but you can't deny that most people are. Example, people want free fishing spots and not invest the time. People want to take the shortcuts in life to cheat, or lie. So when people want to "survive" they would probably not rob. It's a whole different scenario--Rob vs poach.

2. Why not buy a rod? Why poach? Efficiency. If you decide to poach and accumulate a large amount of fish, why buy a rod? Rod is more of a sport fishing and a fun way to earn catch. Even then, if someone keeps something, does it kind of push against the theory of "catch and release". After all, I read in a post that a better man or something practices catch and release. If you do intend to keep/poach, then netting is by far the most efficient in cost and time. You don't need a $200.00+ set up to catch fish when a net costs only ~$30.00. You can poach all the fish you need in a day to live of off for a week. Whereas if you use a rod, you'd have to wait, check out the conditions, plan ahead, prepare, and even then you can leave with nothing. Using a net provides the best outcome with the most little input. Although illegal, but if poaching, it's better to use that than to use a rod.

3. My last argument would be effectiveness. Remember, we're still assuming if the people poach. We are not going to compare poaching for fish with breaking in people's property b/c that is totally different. In poaching, netting would be most effective. It targets all species and allows you to capture more species in a go than a rod. For a rod, the fun part, you have to rig it and target the desire species. Whereas a net would allow you to get any species that is in the area.

So ultimately... um I would say.. if relating to poaching and the horrible reasoning in poaching of why not just buy a rod or break into someone's home or do some other unethical/illegal thing is... Poaching with nets is illegal but "right" because... I guess it's not "right" the legal way, but "right" as in... It's the way to do things effectively and efficiently if not falling the law:

You can't compare that poaching fish with robbing/breaking in, you are endangering different subjects of life and humans have taken human species to be by far superior than others. Then, it's about if you're doing the right thing and if you're doing things right. If you are doing the right thing, you're being effective. If you are doing things right, you are being efficient.

I just want to say, wingnut, I am not a fan of poaching. I do not poach, and in fact I am very angry by it, just like you. I don't even try to harm the environment if I can. But I can't help it if i drive, etc, you know. (I don't litter, I do the 3 Rs, energy conserve, etc). All I am saying is. I am not for poaching or harming the environment. I am very straight-edged and ethical--heck, I study accounting, what would I be if I was unethical? If I can fix it or help, I'd try to. So, I share your pain and feelings for someone that is doing that--The amount of time we have invested and research, and just to watch someone come in and take that all away. Heck, I'd stop them too and report them. After all, my last trip at Malibu, I reported two people surf fishing without a license. Thank goodness the DFG officer was there. However, when doing so, I just want you to be safe. You never know if they have a weapon.

So why did I write this post? Honestly, I wanted to see if I can earn that $500.00 set-up. I have bills to pay, and I contribute most of my paychecks to my family. If I did earn it, I can use it on an awesome set-up. Fishing is expensive, and I have been saving up for some LCs one of which I lost. I have already even done my research but never caught any fish on my LC or any artificials. You can see by now how discouraged I am after planning and preparing--my friend did catch one halibut 14 inches!

Yes it's one thing to stay your opinions, but it's another to state it and back them up. That is the way/art for arguments and debates. Although somethings may not be right, but it can persuade others to think that way if argued correctly. Lawyers are pretty cool huh? haha. I noticed none of them had a follow-up. At least I managed to. But not that I am for it.

If I did not earn it, then at least I tried. I was pretty hard arguing to "it maybe illegal, but it's not wrong". If stated illegal, and all people are not above the law, then there is pretty much no way to argue. But still, I gave it a shot =/.

FINALLY...

Who determines what is right or wrong?

Justl1keRaven
08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Or you know what'd be sweeter? letting me fish with you once =D! I am sure that will boost my confidence and motivation.

Vman
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM

"What is right is always right, even if everyone is against it. What is wrong is always wrong, even if everyone is for it."[/QUOTE]

Well said, Wingnut. These poachers are just typical ignorant, selfish, and "the law is not for me" type of people. This is America, even the homeless people can find food somewhere without poaching with cast net. They are just poachers, that 's it.

I 've seen poachers of all different ethic backgrounds and social status ( Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Yuppies, homeless ), so don't think that I am spouting hatred on any minority group.

boxl0bster
08-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Rod envy?

:Applause:

btw congrats on that awesome wsb!!!

WARRIORMIKE
08-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Must a have been a surfer just getting into fishing :Shocked::Razz:

WARRIORMIKE
08-26-2009, 06:29 PM

1. Robbing and stealing fish is completely different. Robbing can cause harm to a particular person, whereas the law has a implied leeway in harming animals vs people. People are by far more important, otherwise many laws and ethical regulations would pass for us to be more towards like PETA. Sure, someone can break into someone's house to survive, but why would someone do that if it won't give a definite outcome? They wouldn't know exactly what is inside the house, but when they poach, they know what they're getting--fish. When robbing someone's house, the defending person can fight back using weapon or any sort of firearm. By nature, humans like to avoid conflicts and perhaps go the easier route. I am not saying EVERYONE is like that, but you can't deny that most people are. Example, people want free fishing spots and not invest the time. People want to take the shortcuts in life to cheat, or lie. So when people want to "survive" they would probably not rob. It's a whole different scenario--Rob vs poach.

2. Why not buy a rod? Why poach? Efficiency. If you decide to poach and accumulate a large amount of fish, why buy a rod? Rod is more of a sport fishing and a fun way to earn catch. Even then, if someone keeps something, does it kind of push against the theory of "catch and release". After all, I read in a post that a better man or something practices catch and release. If you do intend to keep/poach, then netting is by far the most efficient in cost and time. You don't need a $200.00+ set up to catch fish when a net costs only ~$30.00. You can poach all the fish you need in a day to live of off for a week. Whereas if you use a rod, you'd have to wait, check out the conditions, plan ahead, prepare, and even then you can leave with nothing. Using a net provides the best outcome with the most little input. Although illegal, but if poaching, it's better to use that than to use a rod.

3. My last argument would be effectiveness. Remember, we're still assuming if the people poach. We are not going to compare poaching for fish with breaking in people's property b/c that is totally different. In poaching, netting would be most effective. It targets all species and allows you to capture more species in a go than a rod. For a rod, the fun part, you have to rig it and target the desire species. Whereas a net would allow you to get any species that is in the area.

So ultimately... um I would say.. if relating to poaching and the horrible reasoning in poaching of why not just buy a rod or break into someone's home or do some other unethical/illegal thing is... Poaching with nets is illegal but "right" because... I guess it's not "right" the legal way, but "right" as in... It's the way to do things effectively and efficiently if not falling the law:

You can't compare that poaching fish with robbing/breaking in, you are endangering different subjects of life and humans have taken human species to be by far superior than others. Then, it's about if you're doing the right thing and if you're doing things right. If you are doing the right thing, you're being effective. If you are doing things right, you are being efficient.

I just want to say, wingnut, I am not a fan of poaching. I do not poach, and in fact I am very angry by it, just like you. I don't even try to harm the environment if I can. But I can't help it if i drive, etc, you know. (I don't litter, I do the 3 Rs, energy conserve, etc). All I am saying is. I am not for poaching or harming the environment. I am very straight-edged and ethical--heck, I study accounting, what would I be if I was unethical? If I can fix it or help, I'd try to. So, I share your pain and feelings for someone that is doing that--The amount of time we have invested and research, and just to watch someone come in and take that all away. Heck, I'd stop them too and report them. After all, my last trip at Malibu, I reported two people surf fishing without a license. Thank goodness the DFG officer was there. However, when doing so, I just want you to be safe. You never know if they have a weapon.

So why did I write this post? Honestly, I wanted to see if I can earn that $500.00 set-up. I have bills to pay, and I contribute most of my paychecks to my family. If I did earn it, I can use it on an awesome set-up. Fishing is expensive, and I have been saving up for some LCs one of which I lost. I have already even done my research but never caught any fish on my LC or any artificials. You can see by now how discouraged I am after planning and preparing--my friend did catch one halibut 14 inches!

Yes it's one thing to stay your opinions, but it's another to state it and back them up. That is the way/art for arguments and debates. Although somethings may not be right, but it can persuade others to think that way if argued correctly. Lawyers are pretty cool huh? haha. I noticed none of them had a follow-up. At least I managed to. But not that I am for it.

If I did not earn it, then at least I tried. I was pretty hard arguing to "it maybe illegal, but it's not wrong". If stated illegal, and all people are not above the law, then there is pretty much no way to argue. But still, I gave it a shot =/.

FINALLY...

Great response! :Wink:

klocked
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice going for such little time Arthur!!
May seaweed entangle the nets of poachers forever!:mad:
On a brighter side... the odds for them netting any halibut aren't very good:Wink:

Wingnut
08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
I just saw this and boy that makes me madddddder n' hell. Those guys are well versed in using a cast net. many years ago when i was a lot younger, I lived on eastern seaboard where those nets are legal. We used them for shrimp. Any thing else that happened to get in got tossed back. You have to be well versed in their use. This is obviously not their first time. Takes practice to use one. Sad state of affairs when our wonderful governor ie government cuts funding to things like healthcare, schools, and protection of all of our fisheries......hence poachers acclerate their activity and the environment suffers. Funny, if I was the one running, I would cut the legislature salaries, cut aid to illegals, make all the welfare folks get off their butts and get a job (the ones the illegals get), then return healthcare, fund the colleges not raise tuition, and build a force equal to a police officer to check licenses and ticket in great number all the illegal activity that is going on unchecked. My rant can go on and on but enough already. Glad you had a wonderful surf and stripper day. See you Saturday. OFG
So many problems with our system... so little time & money to fix it. :Neutral: Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday Chris.

Unfortunately, spring and summer go largely unenforced on the surf due to the DFG's attention directed towards reptiles in the deserts.

The majority of DFG wardens are all around the deserts checking on people collecting reptiles.

With kingsnakes, Rosy boas, Gila Monsters, Desert iguanas, Colorado river toads, and many other popular reptiles being in our deserts, poachers take advantage of this and start little businesses. it is illegal to sell any Native californian reptiles in California. But its legal to sell them elsewhere, unless prohibited by state law.

That is, you could illegally capture a pair of gila Monsters, breed them in another state, and sell their babies in like.. Wisconsin. The resulting offspring are legal to sell with a breeder's permit. This is a huge business.

They should allow civilians to place offenders under citizen's arrest. Now THAT would get some progress going, for a much cheaper price. Plus alot of us might even do it for free, go fishing, bust some poachers, have better fish. :D
Poaching Reptiles... interesting. Thanks for the info. :Cool:

Ive been retired for almost 15 yrs, and dont keep up with that much anymore.....???

But that has been an option as long as I can remember....
Dont think its changed???????........

In today's violent and litigious society it doesnt happen much..

Just remember;

Well said Frank... :Cool:

Yeah, I need to control my temper a little better, but as you said I get so upset because I care about stuff like that a lot.

I do too Arthur! This stupid infection has made it so I lost 4lbs of muscle, so I feel pretty weak and tired. A big 30in halibut release is just what I need.
Rest up young Surf Trooper... looking forward to our next mission. :Wink:

That blows! They're probably all stoked cuz they eat for free every night, but this is how im gonna look at it, the cancers gonna get em eventually. lol, do you guys ever read the health warnings in the back of the Reg booklet. Surfperch once every two weeks. Thats scary stuff.
They eat it, they sell it... whatever. I'm pretty sure they aren't worried a bit about any negative health effects.

I would have loved to have taken there picture and when they said no, I would have said that my name is Barney Fife and I am from the local paper doing a story on fishing. I saw that you were using and unconventional type of fishing and me being the inquisitive one asked what kind of fish are you fishing for? I would like to have your permission to take pictures of you guys doing this and your names and addresses so I can mail you the pictures that I took. This way you can help me pick out the best pictures to put in the paper. I would then contact the local law enforcement and show them the evidence. Umm can you say busted!!!! Also get the name and number of the police officer to follow up on this and let them know that you will gladly show up in court to say that yes you took the pictures and that what they were doing is against the law and that stupidity of the law is not an excuse..

Ohh and to the poster that said that everyone is doing it.. Evidently everyone is not doing it just a few guys and those that are need to be told and when possible given a huge fine. How do we know that these guys have not been told or ticketed before?? How many times have we went up to poachers and talked to them about if the bite is good or bad but as soon as we try to educate them we get the sorry no habla!!

OFG I couldnt have agreed more.. Can't we just send em back and get our own working instead of being on the gov't dime???

Sean
I'm sure that this happens quite often, but this is the first time that I've seen it done myself and I'm out in the surf pretty much about once a week for the past couple of years. Of course you see a lesser degree of the act, such as fishing without a license and keeping short fish. But this kind of outright poaching is quite disturbing.

Good report as always... Your reports always want to make me get on the surf....

It's a sad thing about poachers. I'd tried to stop them before and it got no where...

Soon or later, they will have to pay. The best part is to see shock on their faces when I "catch & release" legals right in front of them. I see them having heart attacks.

When I see poachers, I purposely release right in front of them if chance should arise...

You keep this report "alive and kicking"... keep up the good spirit and I hope to run into you one of these days...

TIGHT LINES!!!
I've released legal Halibut in front of bucket commandos all the time. Not all bucket brigade members are poachers. Most of the time I do it as discreetly as possible. When they do see you, some just shake their heads and won't even look at you. While some come over and ask if they can keep the next one that you catch. In rare instances, a few will actually get upset... I had one guy cursed me out and told me to get off "his" beach. :Shocked: :ROFL:

Thanks for the words of wisdom very well said Nessie.

JerryG
Agreed! :Cool:

Wingnut,

Thank you for your efforts. You did the right thing.

If it's their habit they'll eventually be caught.
Unfortunately, The chances of them getting caught is slim, and they know it. that's why they will continue to do it. :Neutral: Once you make the decision to go to the Dark Side, it's hard to turn back.

FINALLY...

Wow, you gave this response a lot of thought and it was well put together. Even though you kind of went off on a tangent with some of your thoughts, I give you a B+ for your efforts. :Wink: Not quite worthy of a $500 set-up but definitely worth a half dozen LC's. PM me your mailing address and I'll send them out to you this week. :Cool:

Or you know what'd be sweeter? letting me fish with you once =D! I am sure that will boost my confidence and motivation.
Your confidence level will be that much higher, if you go out there and succeed on you own... :Wink:

Well said, Wingnut. These poachers are just typical ignorant, selfish, and "the law is not for me" type of people. This is America, even the homeless people can find food somewhere without poaching with cast net. They are just poachers, that 's it.

I 've seen poachers of all different ethic backgrounds and social status ( Whites, Asians, Hispanics, Yuppies, homeless ), so don't think that I am spouting hatred on any minority group.
You notice that I never mentioned any ethnic group in my report. That's because it doesn't matter... you judge people on the act that they do, not the color of their skin.

:Applause:

btw congrats on that awesome wsb!!!
Thanks Ernie, hope to see you at Legends on Saturday. :Cool:

Nice going for such little time Arthur!!
May seaweed entangle the nets of poachers forever!:mad:
On a brighter side... the odds for them netting any halibut aren't very good:Wink:
Poseidon will reward them sooner or later John. :Twisted:
I hope those Flatties stay still on the sand when those nets are flying. :!!!:

Native Gal
08-26-2009, 10:01 PM
WN,
What a fun day of fishing, freshies and salties, nice WSB congrats.
Poachers suck and there is no excuse for it, they will pay one day. Hope to see ya on Saturday if all goes well.

NG
:Envious:

Justl1keRaven
08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey, there is no blast to the past pic! I always want to see that.

HelloBendo420
08-27-2009, 10:08 PM
okay wingnut the smart *****. i guess you are the omniscient and moral judge of the ocean and all it's glory. get off your soap box old man. :ROFL:

Wingnut
08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
WN,
What a fun day of fishing, freshies and salties, nice WSB congrats.
Poachers suck and there is no excuse for it, they will pay one day. Hope to see ya on Saturday if all goes well.

NG
:Envious:
Glad to hear that you might make the Legends NG, hope to see you there. :Big Grin:

Hey, there is no blast to the past pic! I always want to see that.
There is one! :Wink:

okay wingnut the smart *****. i guess you are the omniscient and moral judge of the ocean and all it's glory. get off your soap box old man. :ROFL:
Just about the response that I expected. "I know what you are, but what am I...? :Big Smile: It's all good man, good luck out there... I have to get back to saving the world. :ROFL:

sansou
08-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Awww schucks, I was really hoping someone would make a run for Wingnut's $500... LOL

calico killer kevin
08-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Must a have been a surfer just getting into fishing :Shocked::Razz:
If it was a certain young surfer with the netting skills of a seiner, all the fish would be gone. We got some skills yo.:Envious:

Arthur, I agree with what you have to say about everything in this thread, but the statement in which illegal is not always wrong. Believe you me, I'm all for the law because without it there would be chaos, but remember that some of the rights we enjoy today were because of people who could no longer stay within the boundaries of certain laws.

Wrong: not in accordance with what is morally right or good

Illegal: contrary or forbidden by law

With that being said, how about a few examples?

Pirates are holding Captain Philip hostage on the Indian Ocean. They require $2 million in order for his release and Maersk's representative is negotiating. Meanwhile, somewhere deep within the Navy headquarters, the decision was made that there will be no such transaction. They find three or the sharpest snipers available. What happenned? Three shots rang out into the night, silencing three Somali pirates. Can the killing of three men sanctify the life of one?

Many people emigrate to the US illegally every single day. The amount is so great, that there is nothing that can be done to stop this. Slow it down, but never will it stop. People illigally migrate here from everywhere; Mexico, Cuba, China, Ireland, Africa. Why do they do it? Some to escape the law, some to seek refuge from unruly governments, some just because it can be done. But, the majority do it for one reason amongst many. To attain a better life for not only themselves, but usually for a large family with nothing on the table for dinner. Nothing changes and without intervention, there is no solution. Fueled by misery, sorrow and pain, these people seek out a better life. Most, end up here. Is it illegal? No doubt. Is this wrong.....?

No need for three because it's late, I have to wake up for a surfing excursion in three hours and I don't need a $500 setup. I just like having meaningful discussions, picking brains and long walks on the beach.:Sissy Fight:

Wingnut
08-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Awww schucks, I was really hoping someone would make a run for Wingnut's $500... LOL
It would take one hell of a response to impress me enough to relinquish one of my set-ups Rich. :Wink:

If it was a certain young surfer with the netting skills of a seiner, all the fish would be gone. We got some skills yo.:Envious:

Arthur, I agree with what you have to say about everything in this thread, but the statement in which illegal is not always wrong. Believe you me, I'm all for the law because without it there would be chaos, but remember that some of the rights we enjoy today were because of people who could no longer stay within the boundaries of certain laws.

Wrong: not in accordance with what is morally right or good

Illegal: contrary or forbidden by law

With that being said, how about a few examples?

Pirates are holding Captain Philip hostage on the Indian Ocean. They require $2 million in order for his release and Maersk's representative is negotiating. Meanwhile, somewhere deep within the Navy headquarters, the decision was made that there will be no such transaction. They find three or the sharpest snipers available. What happenned? Three shots rang out into the night, silencing three Somali pirates. Can the killing of three men sanctify the life of one?

Many people emigrate to the US illegally every single day. The amount is so great, that there is nothing that can be done to stop this. Slow it down, but never will it stop. People illigally migrate here from everywhere; Mexico, Cuba, China, Ireland, Africa. Why do they do it? Some to escape the law, some to seek refuge from unruly governments, some just because it can be done. But, the majority do it for one reason amongst many. To attain a better life for not only themselves, but usually for a large family with nothing on the table for dinner. Nothing changes and without intervention, there is no solution. Fueled by misery, sorrow and pain, these people seek out a better life. Most, end up here. Is it illegal? No doubt. Is this wrong.....?

No need for three because it's late, I have to wake up for a surfing excursion in three hours and I don't need a $500 setup. I just like having meaningful discussions, picking brains and long walks on the beach.:Sissy Fight:

Not bad young Kevin... you sound wise beyond your years. :Cool: PM sent. :Wink:

BTW - I like long walks along the beach too... preferably with my favorite set-up and a LC or two. :ROFL:

santaro36
08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Give me three good examples to support your statement

Here are few people who were "wrong" in breaking the law.

Jim Crow Laws - Anti-African American legislation.
example: Homer Plessey sat in a white only railroad car in Louisana. He was arrested and found guilty of breaking Louisiana's segregation laws. The US Supreme Court upheld this ruling. Rosa Parks also tested a law. MLK tested a "few" of these laws too.

Oskar Schindler broke a few laws anti-semitic laws. So did Chiune Sugihara, the Japanese Oskar Schindler. Raoul Wallenberg, the Sweedish version. So did Miep Gies....who regrets her inability in saving Anne Frank and family.

Various Slave Codes/Laws in the US
Harriet Tubman and others running the Underground Railroad broke a few of these laws

Apartheid Legislation set forth by the National Party of South Africa. Nelson Mandela comes to mind as a law breaker.

"An unjust law is no law is law." St Augustine

As for the poachers.....they do not have my support.

Wingnut
08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Here are few people who were "wrong" in breaking the law.

Jim Crow Laws - Anti-African American legislation.
example: Homer Plessey sat in a white only railroad car in Louisana. He was arrested and found guilty of breaking Louisiana's segregation laws. The US Supreme Court upheld this ruling. Rosa Parks also tested a law. MLK tested a "few" of these laws too.

Oskar Schindler broke a few laws anti-semitic laws. So did Chiune Sugihara, the Japanese Oskar Schindler. Raoul Wallenberg, the Sweedish version. So did Miep Gies....who regrets her inability in saving Anne Frank and family.

Various Slave Codes/Laws in the US
Harriet Tubman and others running the Underground Railroad broke a few of these laws

Apartheid Legislation set forth by the National Party of South Africa. Nelson Mandela comes to mind as a law breaker.

"An unjust law is no law is law." St Augustine

As for the poachers.....they do not have my support.

Very well done! I was looking for current examples but an exceptional effort... PM sent. :Cool:

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************

Sunday - 8/30/09

Mike & I hit the surf for a few hours this morning. We knew that the conditions was going to be poor, but we went anyways. Sometimes, you just need to go... for the sake of being out there. :Cool: It was rough out there with 2-4 foot swells coming in constantly. The murky conditions and all you can eat salad bar didn't make things any better, but we made the best out of it and had a great time. :Big Grin: Mike got himself a 22" legal and a couple of shorts and I barely saved myself from Mr. Stinky with a 20" short. :LOL: Hopefully, conditions will improve next weekend. :Wink:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur018-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur020-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur022-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur021-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur027-1.jpg

Started with the waders, but changed to the spring suit to battle the swells. :LOL:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur024-1.jpg

Funny moment - Mike gets hit by a massive wave and went UNDER! :Shocked:
Came back up with kelp draped on his head and almost lost his contacts.
Thank Goodness for his S.W.A.T. training, Mike was soaked but no worse for wear... :ROFL: Thanks for the entertainment buddy... always an adventure!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur025-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur-5.jpg

Go USC!!!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut4/Wingnut5/Arthur016-2.jpg

bsp
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Somebody got swamped by a wave, and somebody is wearing a wetsuit.... why does this sound familiar? :LOL: Looks like you two had a fun time in the surf, and I wish I could have been there. When you fish with the S.W.A.T, it's always a good time!

Too bad about the washing machine conditions, but they should have settled down by next week. At least that's what I am telling myself since Sunday will be my last surf mission for a long time.

Thanks for the update, and fight on! Learned that and a few other interesting Trojan facts when I toured USC a few weeks ago.

Arthur, I'll prepare an argument for you over this coming week. You can keep your set up, I just want to see if I can persuade you with my debating skills!

BIGRED KILLA
08-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the 2nd report Arthur, Man that sucks about the big wave that hit em but i would be laughing my *** off if i saw that and if that was me that got hit. That was a nice fast cool down Mike and prob woke you up nice job on the few flatfish.lol

Bigred

santaro36
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Very well done! I was looking for current examples but an exceptional effort... PM sent. :Cool:

Aung San Suu Kyi - Nobel Peace Prize 1991-human rights defender and political activist.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/world/asia/12reax.html
One of many jailed activists in Myanmar.

Gao Zhisheng - Chinese lawyer known for taking on civil rights cases. Disbarred, detained, and tortured by government police. Taken from home early this year and currently missing. It is said that he is or has undergone severe torture.

There are many, many more that fight for human rights that are unknown and unnamed. These are just two.

On a lighter note:
http://www.pawnation.com/2009/08/06/virginia-man-helps-geese-gets-ticket/
Hopefully he wasn't endangering other drivers.

TShaffer
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM

During my freshmen year at my High School my sister drove me to school because neither of my parents had the time to drive me or pick me up when school was out. My sister had not had her license for a full year so it was tecnically illegal for her to drive me to school and take me home after. In my opinion it was not wrong of her to do this for me.

Now that I'm a junior I can drive myself to school but I have not had my license for a full year. Our school does not have enough parking for juniors so we help each other out by giving each other rides from the parking lot about a mile away from school so that we don't have to walk and risk being late for school. This in my opinion is also not wrong.

I have also heard about Christianity being illegal in some countries. Brave missionaries do spread the word of God in these countries and risk their own lives so that even just one person can hear the Good News. In my opinion spreading God's word is not wrong anywhere no matter what any law says.

These are a few exapmles that have been part of my life and are not wrong in my opinion anyway. But if you think about it another way there are also things that are wrong but not illegal. Snagging is one of those things that is wrong in my opinion but not illegal.

P.S. Where could one find those report poacher shirts?

bsp
08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
During my freshmen year at my High School my sister drove me to school because neither of my parents had the time to drive me or pick me up when school was out. My sister had not had her license for a full year so it was tecnically illegal for her to drive me to school and take me home after. In my opinion it was not wrong of her to do this for me.

That actually can be made legal because there are exceptions to the one year rule for siblings and family. I know because my friends have used it.

TShaffer
08-31-2009, 04:33 PM
That actually can be made legal because there are exceptions to the one year rule for siblings and family. I know because my friends have used it.

Oh, well that means it really wasn't wrong.

sansou
08-31-2009, 05:51 PM

PM Fisherman57, or visit the Team 57 website: http://www.57shirts.com/

(website currently "under construction", but check back soon)

bones
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
WOW.....I've been out of the loop here on the FNN due to some MAJOR laptop problems but now I'm back. This thread is amazing I must say. Arthur post up some nice fish "Congrats to ya buddy" and people just go off in all directions as far as the poaching is concerned. I've seen it so many times here on the FNN and I'm still amazed how people can try their hardest to justify breaking the law. Instead of all of the BS and totally out of perspective opinions ........ Let us not forget that the men who were poaching were definately not starving since Arthur told me that the man in the picture was kinda chunky with a beer belly and the others (including two young daughters) were out right overweight!
Arthur also didn't mention any race either but a few members had to just go there. He tried to share with us his experience and frustration when he TRIED to do the right thing and didn't get into a major confrontation when he was clearly out numbered and outweighed also.....LOL
In my opinion....For what it's worth......He did the most honorable,legal and just plain smart thing he had the power to do.
For crying out loud.......The poachers were VERY aware that what they were doing was illegal. One guy told Arthur to NOT take pictures. And then claimed to NOT speak english. They had their little girls down there with coolers and approached this area under the cloak of pending darkness at sunset. All carefully planned poaching.....PERIOD!
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A FIGHT FOR RIGHTS....A FIGHT FOR FREEDOM....A NEED TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OR ANY OF THE OTHER TANGENTS THE FNN MEMBERS WENT OFF ON.
Simply amazing.......
Arthur my friend........You had a very decent few hours in the surf and congrats to you my friend. The little WSB is KEWL dude. We all know that the system has some major flaws and you exposed how frustraiting it is to be proactive in the name of the laws that we ALL should abide by.
Keep up the good work buddy and hopefully I will have your back next time and we will teach them a lesson they will never forget. I already have a plan. That place can't handle this kind of poaching and I know that Marc and his dad will help also. God....imagine how many short flatties they could have snatched also! All we need are the numbers for the local law enforcement and a few people and we will wrap it up.
I AM SO DOWN FOR THIS!!!!!
All we have to do is hang out there later than usual like you did. I'm sure that they will come back......This will be fun!

BIGRED KILLA
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
WOW.....I've been out of the loop here on the FNN due to some MAJOR laptop problems but now I'm back. This thread is amazing I must say. Arthur post up some nice fish "Congrats to ya buddy" and people just go off in all directions as far as the poaching is concerned. I've seen it so many times here on the FNN and I'm still amazed how people can try their hardest to justify breaking the law. Instead of all of the BS and totally out of perspective opinions ........ Let us not forget that the men who were poaching were definately not starving since Arthur told me that the man in the picture was kinda chunky with a beer belly and the others (including two young daughters) were out right overweight!
Arthur also didn't mention any race either but a few members had to just go there. He tried to share with us his experience and frustration when he TRIED to do the right thing and didn't get into a major confrontation when he was clearly out numbered and outweighed also.....LOL
In my opinion....For what it's worth......He did the most honorable,legal and just plain smart thing he had the power to do.
For crying out loud.......The poachers were VERY aware that what they were doing was illegal. One guy told Arthur to NOT take pictures. And then claimed to NOT speak english. They had their little girls down there with coolers and approached this area under the cloak of pending darkness at sunset. All carefully planned poaching.....PERIOD!
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A FIGHT FOR RIGHTS....A FIGHT FOR FREEDOM....A NEED TO FEED YOUR FAMILY OR ANY OF THE OTHER TANGENTS THE FNN MEMBERS WENT OFF ON.
Simply amazing.......
Arthur my friend........You had a very decent few hours in the surf and congrats to you my friend. The little WSB is KEWL dude. We all know that the system has some major flaws and you exposed how frustraiting it is to be proactive in the name of the laws that we ALL should abide by.
Keep up the good work buddy and hopefully I will have your back next time and we will teach them a lesson they will never forget. I already have a plan. That place can't handle this kind of poaching and I know that Marc and his dad will help also. God....imagine how many short flatties they could have snatched also! All we need are the numbers for the local law enforcement and a few people and we will wrap it up.
All we have to do is hang out there later than usual like you did. I'm sure that they will come back......This will be fun!

Mike you hit in right on the nail like you allways do poachers are the worst esp when they are getting numbers like that with a throw net who knows how many times they go out there a week and what time they leave..... I am still pissed Mike when i saw that guy keep those small calicos of the jetty i wanted to cut the rest of his missing fingers off.:Twisted:

Bigred

calico killer kevin
09-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Dude Arthur, you're a beast.:LOL:

LOL at the overweight poachin females....:ROFL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-04-2009, 11:33 PM
this is why I carry a length of garden hose and motorcycle chain....try it next time, it'll save ya time on hold on the phone..

sometimes a lesson needs to be administered...nothing like a harsh lesson to make them remember...to the woodshed we take them back where I come from ...ha ha ha...
sad ..............theres always a diamond jig justice approach as well...I taught a couple of smart alec marines on a Katareram boat once this way...through the sail it went....and to the shore they went afterwards cryin in the rain....it didnt present a problem at all afterwards...

congrats on some action...nice....next outing will be more pleseant I'm sure : )

Wingnut
09-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Somebody got swamped by a wave, and somebody is wearing a wetsuit.... why does this sound familiar? :LOL: Looks like you two had a fun time in the surf, and I wish I could have been there. When you fish with the S.W.A.T, it's always a good time!

Too bad about the washing machine conditions, but they should have settled down by next week. At least that's what I am telling myself since Sunday will be my last surf mission for a long time.

Thanks for the update, and fight on! Learned that and a few other interesting Trojan facts when I toured USC a few weeks ago.

Arthur, I'll prepare an argument for you over this coming week. You can keep your set up, I just want to see if I can persuade you with my debating skills!
Yeah, I told Mike that he pulled a "BSP" move. :LOL:
Nice chatting with you this week. I'm glad that you're 100% well again... get ready for our Monday session. :Wink:

Thanks for the 2nd report Arthur, Man that sucks about the big wave that hit em but i would be laughing my *** off if i saw that and if that was me that got hit. That was a nice fast cool down Mike and prob woke you up nice job on the few flatfish.lol

Bigred
It was a boring day until that happened Lucas. :Envious:

Aung San Suu Kyi - Nobel Peace Prize 1991-human rights defender and political activist.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/world/asia/12reax.html
One of many jailed activists in Myanmar.

Gao Zhisheng - Chinese lawyer known for taking on civil rights cases. Disbarred, detained, and tortured by government police. Taken from home early this year and currently missing. It is said that he is or has undergone severe torture.

There are many, many more that fight for human rights that are unknown and unnamed. These are just two.

On a lighter note:
http://www.pawnation.com/2009/08/06/virginia-man-helps-geese-gets-ticket/
Hopefully he wasn't endangering other drivers.
Your efforts has been handsomely rewarded. :Wink: :Secret:

Now that I'm a junior I can drive myself to school but I have not had my license for a full year. Our school does not have enough parking for juniors so we help each other out by giving each other rides from the parking lot about a mile away from school so that we don't have to walk and risk being late for school. This in my opinion is also not wrong.

I have also heard about Christianity being illegal in some countries. Brave missionaries do spread the word of God in these countries and risk their own lives so that even just one person can hear the Good News. In my opinion spreading God's word is not wrong anywhere no matter what any law says.

These are a few exapmles that have been part of my life and are not wrong in my opinion anyway. But if you think about it another way there are also things that are wrong but not illegal. Snagging is one of those things that is wrong in my opinion but not illegal.

In my opinion spreading God's word is not wrong anywhere no matter what any law says.
I agree with this statement. :Cool:
Send Dana (Fisherman 57) a PM regarding how to purchase the shirt. They were available at the Legends III event.

Simply amazing.......
Thanks for your input Mike... I knew we'd be on the same page. :Cool:
When I called you today & you didn't immediately returned the call... I knew that you were out in the surf somewhere. There I was, stuck at work while you were busy farming legal Flatties. :Twisted: Sorry buddy, couldn't resist. :LOL: My turn tomorrow slaying Linesides with T/O and Blackwater... then let's see if we can find some of those legals that you lost on Monday! :Wink: :Envious:

this is why I carry a length of garden hose and motorcycle chain....try it next time, it'll save ya time on hold on the phone..

sometimes a lesson needs to be administered...nothing like a harsh lesson to make them remember...to the woodshed we take them back where I come from ...ha ha ha...
sad ..............theres always a diamond jig justice approach as well...I taught a couple of smart alec marines on a Katareram boat once this way...through the sail it went....and to the shore they went afterwards cryin in the rain....it didnt present a problem at all afterwards...

congrats on some action...nice....next outing will be more pleseant I'm sure : )
That's all I need... is to get sued for assault and put money in their pockets. :LOL: What goes around comes around... they'll get theirs somewhere down the road.
BTW - Thanks for the killer Tuna fillets you gave to me at Legends... whatever you marinated it in was fantastic! :Cool:

smokehound
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
*cough* vigilante poacher squad *cough*

Seriously if alot of people would do this, poachers would be alot less common.

ghetto dad
09-06-2009, 09:47 PM
GRRRR...thats BS about that Cal Tip line....:Evil:

Also, just a heads up guys..pretty soon, it wont be required to display your fishing licenses anymore....

Nice report Arthur!! thanks man.....SEABASS AND CALICOS!!!

GD

Wingnut
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
*cough* vigilante poacher squad *cough*

Seriously if alot of people would do this, poachers would be alot less common.
I vote Smokehound President of the "V.P.S." :Wink:

GRRRR...thats BS about that Cal Tip line....:Evil:

Also, just a heads up guys..pretty soon, it wont be required to display your fishing licenses anymore....

Nice report Arthur!! thanks man.....SEABASS AND CALICOS!!!

GD
Yeah Steve, kinda nice to catch two Bass of the right kind from the surf... :Cool: Missed ya at Legends. :Wink: