PDA

View Full Version : North to South plus a new species!

bones
08-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Well.....The last week has been hell. I developed a MAJOR systemic infection from an abcessed tooth that really laid me out for a week. It's amazing how a dental problem can cause your whole body to have problems. One week into the major antibiotic attack I now ALMOST feel human again so I decided to just head north in search of some flatties since my wingman Athur was out killing stripers with TO today. I've got to admit....It's kinda lonely fishing by myself but to be honest I wasn't 100% still and definately wasn't up for a "Wingnut" assault on the surf today. Time to take it easy and ease into the day with a laidback approach :Smile:

First Stop......Greylight in SB county.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/SBsunrise.jpg

Calm and Semi Clear conditions but damn........It took me about 300 casts with absolutely no taps at all until I finally get bit when I was half asleep ....but at least it was a flattie and a 23" legal !!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/SBLegal.jpg

One bite....One legal........4 Hours :Shocked:

Now ....I'm not complaining but Damn.......I was already tired and maybe it was just the recent water temp drop to 61 degrees but I just wasn't "Feeling It" so to speak so I decided to head on back south to the warmer Santa Monica Bay which was about 66 degrees.
Everywhere I stopped in Malibu to Santa Monica there were some really screwed up conditions so I kept going and decided to finish up in Marina Del Rey.

Arrived to clear conditions in the harbor and decided to start off on the inside of the northern breakwall. Another 100 casts and I finally get bit by a pancake.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/MDRShortie1.jpg

Worked that spot hard and finally stuck ANOTHER pancake.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/MDRShortie2.jpg

Worked my way all to the end of the breakwall and the conditions looked SO FISHY but they just weren't on the chew!

Right before the end of the breakwall I spot something in the water.......MMMMMM....Is it a jelly fish? Is it a Portugese Man Of War?

Nope....... It was a very aggressive "Trojan Fish" ......LOL

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Jellyfish.jpg

Targeted the Animal and she jumped on my White Ice Fluke!

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Jellyfish2.jpg

After a short battle I plucked it off my hook with my pliers and safely released her to the depths of MDR!

As I walked out to the end of the jetty I heard a familliar voice from a distance. I turned and saw paDDy,Farmy and DrewRanch heading on out on Pat's Striper "Reel Obsession".

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/PaddyFarmyDrew.jpg

Watched them turn and blast out of the harbor so I went back to fishing. A few minutes later the Lifeguard pulls up to the end of the jetty and one of the lifeguards jumps into the water with some fins and a snorkle. He was looking for something in the water.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Lifeguard.jpg

When he popped up he told me that there were a bunch of calicos right around this one rock but I couldn't get bit by them at all.

So I turn around and see this WIERDO standing to my side. He had his shorts tucked up like a big diaper! Maybe he was just looking for his lost condom....LOL

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Lostman.jpg

I figured it was time to bounce back to my starting point and made a few casts by the canal inlet when I get hammered by a decent spottie. This was my first spottie I've ever caught In MDR and I've been fishing there since 1975 !

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/MDRSpottie.jpg

OK.....Out of gas.....Time for a late lunch. Head over to Ralphs and order a really good sandwich from the deli. Drive to the other side of the harbor by Balona Creek and just kick back for a while and relax. I hoped that it was going to be an evening bite.

The final assault.......

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Balonaweapon.jpg

I worked my way along the edge with not even one tap when I make a cast and decide to walk to the side while my rig sinks. When I go to take up the slack......I feel like I'm snagged.........Just dead weight but wait........It's moving towards me. To my surprise a nice size legal comes right to me without even one headshake or run. It only tried to bolt when I bumped it into the shoreline!

Strange.....but I'll take it....She went 26" and was kinda skinny not to mention she had a split tail already. Hooked her only in the lip but she had alot of blood comming from her mouth as well.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Legal26.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Legal261.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp185/lukesdad2008/Legal262.jpg

I guess some people would have kept her but to be honest. I felt kinda sorry for her and set her free!

Interesting observation .......... Look at the difference above between the Northern flattie and the MDR flattie. I believe that water quality and the overall enviroment have a BIG effect on this species. The Northern flatties are just simply beautiful fish.

Wrapped it up about 30 minutes later and then realized that I just had ANOTHER 12 hour day fishing.

Hard day and really had to cover alot of miles but it was great to get out and put some sun,salt and the clear ocean breeze in my head.

Day totals.....

2 shorties
2 legals (23" 26")
1 spottie
1 trojan Fish (new species ... regular 6" NOT magnum)

Everything released to fight and protect for another day....LOL

:Smile:

Justl1keRaven
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Thats so lame! I went to SB a few days ago and caught NOTHING. What am I doing wrong!?

Haha, condom fish. Uh oh, your hook must've tore it a hole.

victor101
08-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Great report! I was tempted to head further north since i heard the weeds had cleared a bit...good job on the legal flatties and your first MDR Spotty. I caught my first MDR spotted bass not too long ago...I hope the bucketeers dont find them!

Wingnut
08-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Now that's a nice come back from a short lay off from the surf Mike. :Cool:
Funny, been a LONG time since you & I spent the same day in the surf at completely different areas. Well done on the multiple legals day. :Envious:
Hey Mike, what are condoms doing in your S.W.A.T. survival kit?!? :Shocked: :LOL: :ROFL:

Nessie Hunter
08-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Way to go Mike... Excellent come back (from a short respite)...

I think the guy in the rolled up shorts was attracted to you & the new Species???? :Embarrassed:

Funny how hard things like a little infection can kick your bass when age starts to catch up with ya!!!! :LOL:

Glad your feeling better..!!

Cangler
08-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Sweet report ... Hope you paid tribute to the drowned semen ...

doyoufishmuch
08-24-2009, 01:53 PM
If that condom had any........ uh....residue..... then Im pretty sure it counts as about 50 million catches. Nice job on what looked like a sweet *** day! Mostly, haha

farmacist
08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice job senor bones. I was joking when I first asked "Is that bones on the jetty?" and then sho nuff... it WAS you. lol
Your pic of the "weirdo" really cracked me up, he looks and dresses like big Red but I'm sure he's a better fisherman! j/k

bsp
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Way to kick the infection and get back in the surf. That Northern halibut do look fat and happy compared to the MDR one, which looks kinda beat up and skinny. There are some very large spotties in MDR, but they are definitely a rare catch. I'm sure you'll get another one soon. Congrats on a nice day there Mike, you've convinced me that one of these days I have to hit up MDR again. Hope to see you in the surf soon!

tacklejunkie
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
That's a long haul dude.
I'd take that nice 23" legal for 4hrs+ over a bunch of shorties any trip :Wink:

I always feel bad when I catch a previously caught or beat up looking fish too. Not much we can do about it though. I let me last PB hali go too and that one was beat up looking. Probably the one I should have kept. Landed him by a treble in the eye socket :Crying:

Nice spottie and a few extra bonuses thrown in for your hard work.
Thanks for the read. :Cool: I'm no fan of tooth pain (etc) myself.

BIGRED KILLA
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Nice job out there Mike way to go on the legals and toad spottie nice job on sight fishing for the condom to cant forget that i hope you did not chew on it like bubble gum again it is not good for your infection your dentist said :Wink:. Thanks for the report see you out there soon.

Bigred

Beeracuda211
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Bones, at least your keepin it clean by wackin in a trojan.... lol Farmy told me about your pending lawsuit, I think i'm going to jump in on it classaction... lol I think you caught more from the beach then those scallywags did from that $80k machine... LOL I think one of them might have been suffering from a mild hangover hey Farmy, Don't touch the dodger bat! LMAO "But i love the dodgers" :ROFL:

B/C

bullets_full
08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
congrats on the new species. I caught a freshwater Trojan fish at Laguna Niguel a few years back. I didn't realize they were like stripers. Very versatile fish!

Thanks for the report

paDDy
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
That spotty is nice! Good seeing you out there, bet it felt good just being back on the water after that tooth infection. I can't believe Farmys eyes, he spotted you 200 yards away. Funny how he runs over kelp paddys all day thoe.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/bagged7104ss/DSC07645.jpg

CalamARI
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Nice job on the Coney Island Whitefish.

FireRox21
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
That was the funniest post I've read in a long time!! You guys come up with the most hilarious names for "new" spieces. At least you had a nice day fishing. Hope you feel better too. Dental pain sucks!!!

"Coney Island Whitefish" HAHAHAHHAA!!!! Classic!!!

=)

BingJr
08-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Great Post Mike.

Well done. Glad your coming back to the land of the living.

bones
08-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Thats so lame! I went to SB a few days ago and caught NOTHING. What am I doing wrong!?

Haha, condom fish. Uh oh, your hook must've tore it a hole.

It took me 4 hours to stick one flattie! Far from WFO for sure. I probably wouldn't have even stuck that one but I'm used to combat fishing with Wingnut. We ALWAYS keep moving until we find something.

Great report! I was tempted to head further north since i heard the weeds had cleared a bit...good job on the legal flatties and your first MDR Spotty. I caught my first MDR spotted bass not too long ago...I hope the bucketeers dont find them!

Thanks.........It's still pretty weedy up there. That big swell a while back really tore up the kelp beds. I remember that spottie you stuck. You are right.....They hang VERY tight to the rocks. Right in the snag zone.

Now that's a nice come back from a short lay off from the surf Mike. :Cool:
Funny, been a LONG time since you & I spent the same day in the surf at completely different areas. Well done on the multiple legals day. :Envious:
Hey Mike, what are condoms doing in your S.W.A.T. survival kit?!? :Shocked: :LOL: :ROFL:

Thanks Arthur.....Yeah....It felt kinda weird not looking over and seeing you pound the area with your LC arsenal!
As far as the helmet hugger.......You taught me that every S.W.A.T member has to ALWAYS be prepared.....Hellooooooooooooooo!

Way to go Mike... Excellent come back (from a short respite)...

I think the guy in the rolled up shorts was attracted to you & the new Species???? :Embarrassed:

Funny how hard things like a little infection can kick your bass when age starts to catch up with ya!!!! :LOL:

Glad your feeling better..!!

My new species would have scared him to hell and back Frank......LOL

Sweet report ... Hope you paid tribute to the drowned semen ...

Always!
Both my Mom and Dad were NAVY of course!

If that condom had any........ uh....residue..... then Im pretty sure it counts as about 50 million catches. Nice job on what looked like a sweet *** day! Mostly, haha

Ewwww.....Didn't look at it THAT close!

Nice job senor bones. I was joking when I first asked "Is that bones on the jetty?" and then sho nuff... it WAS you. lol
Your pic of the "weirdo" really cracked me up, he looks and dresses like big Red but I'm sure he's a better fisherman! j/k

Omar........I think you are right. Lucas was stalking me!

Way to kick the infection and get back in the surf. That Northern halibut do look fat and happy compared to the MDR one, which looks kinda beat up and skinny. There are some very large spotties in MDR, but they are definitely a rare catch. I'm sure you'll get another one soon. Congrats on a nice day there Mike, you've convinced me that one of these days I have to hit up MDR again. Hope to see you in the surf soon!

Thanks Marc. I heard you are sick too. Hang in there buddy and I can't wait to see ya get whomped by another wave....LOL

That's a long haul dude.
I'd take that nice 23" legal for 4hrs+ over a bunch of shorties any trip :Wink:

I always feel bad when I catch a previously caught or beat up looking fish too. Not much we can do about it though. I let me last PB hali go too and that one was beat up looking. Probably the one I should have kept. Landed him by a treble in the eye socket :Crying:

Nice spottie and a few extra bonuses thrown in for your hard work.
Thanks for the read. :Cool: I'm no fan of tooth pain (etc) myself.

Yeah dude.........Sometimes the flatties are just a bonus but I really needed that fish!
I always really feel bad when there is that eye snag thing going on. That darn little spottie really chewed up my thumb too....LOL

Nice job out there Mike way to go on the legals and toad spottie nice job on sight fishing for the condom to cant forget that i hope you did not chew on it like bubble gum again it is not good for your infection your dentist said :Wink:. Thanks for the report see you out there soon.

Bigred

When you gonna start fishing again Lucas? It's been a long time since I have laughed all day long buddy!

Bones, at least your keepin it clean by wackin in a trojan.... lol Farmy told me about your pending lawsuit, I think i'm going to jump in on it classaction... lol I think you caught more from the beach then those scallywags did from that $80k machine... LOL I think one of them might have been suffering from a mild hangover hey Farmy, Don't touch the dodger bat! LMAO "But i love the dodgers" :ROFL:

B/C

Mikey.....When are you going to put that tin can of yours in the water at newport so the pirates can pilliage the harbor before the MLPA closes it?

congrats on the new species. I caught a freshwater Trojan fish at Laguna Niguel a few years back. I didn't realize they were like stripers. Very versatile fish!

Thanks for the report

Oh god.....I actually feel closer to you dude.....LOL
I wonder what the IGFA world class line record is for this species?

That spotty is nice! Good seeing you out there, bet it felt good just being back on the water after that tooth infection. I can't believe Farmys eyes, he spotted you 200 yards away. Funny how he runs over kelp paddys all day thoe.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/bagged7104ss/DSC07645.jpg

Booooo....I see you.....You see me........Scary...LOL

Nice job on the Coney Island Whitefish.

Now that's NASTY!

That was the funniest post I've read in a long time!! You guys come up with the most hilarious names for "new" spieces. At least you had a nice day fishing. Hope you feel better too. Dental pain sucks!!!

"Coney Island Whitefish" HAHAHAHHAA!!!! Classic!!!

=)

Thanks....It's all about the fun!

Great Post Mike.

Well done. Glad your coming back to the land of the living.

Thanks dude.........I felt that first shovel load of dirt hit my coffin and said "Hell NO!"

fishnFF
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Damn that whole report cracked me up. Nice day though! As for the trojan fish...I am sick of scientists trying to blame us for over fishing the oceans and causing a decrease in fish populations when CLEARLY the fish have simply chosen to partake in safer sex practices. Now if we can teach them about handwashing we can eliminate fish-bourne communicable diseases! Join me in the fight!