PDA

View Full Version : old aluminum boat repair

Nalsmells
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM
hey guys,

I got this old boat from my bro, and it has some leaks. What would u recommend I use to seal off the crack or hole (small)?

I was looking at some propane troch that this guy use on his boat and it seem pretty easy. He had a propane troch and some aluminum alloy rod that he use to cover a whole the size a half dollor.

Do u think I can use the same with an aluminun wire from homedepot?

any adivse would help!

Thanks
nal

BingJr
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
THey make aluminum rods compound specifically for aluminum boat repair. I wouldn't screw around and get the right stuff. Geordy knows the product I believe. I would bet you will find more than one leak when you get started and it is good to have this stuff on had to take care of the leaks as they arise.

HEMAN
08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
i believe JB weld makes a marine version.. very easy. no torch needed.. just mix together and apply.

GeordyBass
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
THey make aluminum rods compound specifically for aluminum boat repair. I wouldn't screw around and get the right stuff. Geordy knows the product I believe. I would bet you will find more than one leak when you get started and it is good to have this stuff on had to take care of the leaks as they arise.

The website is: http://www.durafix.com/ ..... It's supposed to be really good for boats but i've never used it....

fishfinder
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
use aircraft fuel tank sealant if you can get your hands on some. last forever

Daleela
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
JB Weld works great. I have a buddy that swears by it and he welds aluminum also. The problem with welding is you have to clean the oxidized aluminum really well anyway. Ace hardware sells PC-7 and PC-11 (marine) epoxy which will also work if you need stuff in bulk. JB Weld will be a bit runny where the other stuff is more of a putty. As long as the holes are small and not structural fix it with the goop and go fish. If it has leaky rivets you should really replace those with new aluminum rivets to seal it up.

GeordyBass
09-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah, If a rivet becomes somewhat loose, wrap a copper wire inside the rivet, then weld it with the welding rod around it or apply jb weld all around it. then the weld won't crack or break off....