PDA

View Full Version : Castaic last week on fly

hookjaw77
08-23-2009, 03:49 PM
First time posting a report on FNN.
Decided to give Castaic a try with the fly rod on Thursday morning bright and early. Got on the water about 6:15 which is pretty early since I’m used to getting up at the crack of nine. Cruised down to one of my favorite spots and scanned it really quick with the finder and the cupboard was bare. Motored north and saw some splashing going on and it happened to be a striper boil.
Wasn’t really ready to fish but I did have a TFO 8wt rigged with a 275 Teeny and a chart/white clouser tied on. Didn’t have time to take off the life jacket, hook up the trolling motor, stab the cheek seat, or set up the striping basket. Just about took a header into the lake and the next thing I knew John T was yelling “FISH ON”!
About the time he got a 2 ½ pounder in the boat, my rod tip was being pulled under. Turned out to be the best fish of the day 23 ½ “- 4-2. Landed a few more schoolies then went looking for more boils.
Got a little action going in close to one bank and to my surprise it was largemouth working the edge. John T got a 2-3 and a couple of others there and my largest was 2-5 lb. Moving on, we found some more largemouth working shad in deeper water and it took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong. Switched to the 8’ blue water mini throwing a Sage 330 gr. floater with an unweighted Zonker to finally get them to eat. Took a couple of hard hits with a 7” bubblehead popper, one to the back and one to the back of the head…..no blood was donated to the fish gods.
Ended up with 7 stripers and 8 largemouth, all in all a fun day with a little more experience on a strange lake. Learned a lot and now it’s back to the tying vice to see if we can dial it in. Here’s a few pics.
Swanee

smokinflies
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
great first post.

love the bendo on the fly shot.

Ifishtoolittle
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Awesome job on the Fly dude WTG!

DropShotMan
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
great job out there, can you post a pic of the flys used on this trip so us fellow fly guys can see them

olfishergal
08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Very nice fishies guys........wow that water level is so low......maybe fish creek is coming back........OFG

hookjaw77
08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
This is the only picture I have of the standard Clouser, just white and chartreuse bucktail.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q34/hookjaw77/striperF.jpg

Wingnut
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Very, very cool report, need to see more of these reports! Nothing like catching a Striper on the fly gear. :Big Grin:

Flying
08-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I love it :Big Grin:

Is that a 10 footer?

fishinone
08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the report.

It was nice meeting you out there.

seal
08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
That Clouser looked unweighted? Great pattern for the stripers.

Must have been a blast!