PDA

View Full Version : Tips for fly fishing Convict Creek?

rufustf
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
My lady (yes she also fishes) & I are going to be spending a few days mid sept. at the Convict Lake resort, and I'd like to try fly fishing the creek & maybe some of the other rivers/creeks in the area. I've been a spin casting fisherman as of lately, but used to fly fish in upstate New York as a kid/teenager, and recently cleaned up my old fly rod and reel and want to give it a go. I can still cast the thing which I was happy about.

Can anyone here recommend some effective fly patterns & sized that would work in that area at that time? I won't be around long enough to check out whatever the hatch is & can't afford to get a huge collection. I have floating line on the reel.

I only keep what is going to be dinner, and that's always a stock fish.

Thanks-
RTF

Sparky70
08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
You better take some warm cloths with you in Sept., the weather changes from hot to cold over night. Been there done that! :ROFL::ROFL:

Sparky70
08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry, (clothes)

Mister Twister
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
You better take some warm cloths with you in Sept., the weather changes from hot to cold over night. Been there done that! :ROFL::ROFL:Sparky70,planning trip to lower owens valley,Independence area in sept.plan on some mine explore and warm pond fishing,you know what I mean.I have only been there in early spring.September should be in the low 80's?Guessing at that.

rufustf
08-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay, then, on the assumption that I am dressed appropriately, what are some good flies for that body of water?
I only have floating line, for sinking one (like a streamer or wet fly) I'd use a tiny split shot on the leader.

Mister Twister
08-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Okay, then, on the assumption that I am dressed appropriately, what are some good flies for that body of water?
I only have floating line, for sinking one (like a streamer or wet fly) I'd use a tiny split shot on the leader.Hey rufustf,your best bet is hit the local tackle shop and get what they recommend,can't go wrong that way.Have a safe trip.Black wooly buggers always produce for me on lite spin.

NICKYMOUSE8
08-22-2009, 07:53 PM
No wooly buggers are played out :LOL: right now the hoppers are every where no need for sinking line in that lil creek though i have used it there ''snag'' you'll be seeing more skinny water then any thing try a Schneider's parachute hopper or a Adams parachute vary in colors depending on trout's liking can't go wrong with nymph's if nothing takes a dry uh good presentation near the cuts and bends nice steady long drifts hope this help dude?good luck out there man:Smile:

fndaway66
08-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Parachute hoppers or adams, Elkhair caddis, Humpys red or yellow. Tie a dropper about 12-18 inches to the top fly some type of beadhead will do. Go across the highway to the Owens if you want to fish bigger water without having to worry about to many snags. Check the regs on the Owens before fishing it though.

mth1997
08-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Parachute hoppers or adams, Elkhair caddis, Humpys red or yellow. Tie a dropper about 12-18 inches to the top fly some type of beadhead will do. Go across the highway to the Owens if you want to fish bigger water without having to worry about to many snags. Check the regs on the Owens before fishing it though.

Ditto. I'd add that blue winged olives (BWO's) and pale morning duns (PMD's) would be good flies too. Sizes 14-18 are the best bet. BWO's are my go to flies for the Owens area as the baetis hatch is pretty common.

seal
08-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Flashback Pheasant tails and prince nymphs size 18 or so, SMALL. Use an Elk Hair Caddis or other dry fly mentioned above for an indicator. Remember to make your leader long enough so that the dropper gets down to the bottom of the creek.