PDA

View Full Version : Surfishing at San Clemente-Thanks 57, Bone, Greg, Alex...

servant joe
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello Everyone,
I went out with my wife's brother and his friend to San Clemente for surf fishing. I was so excited because I finally got my new fishing rod and reel. It was a combination of shimano calarus (?)and stradic 2500 with 6lbs line. I went out with grub and Gulp! sandcrab and shrimp. I got nothing for those. The wave was quite strong. The time was around 700 pm. High tide was in. I set it up with a carolina style and fish out there. Reel it in slowly. I went skunk for 4 hours. Not a single bite. While my brother and his friend caught 2 YFCs and a ton of sandsharks. We released all. I have a question-What did I do wrong here? Fake bait seem not to work at all. My brother in law used shrimp-is that why we caught sandshark?
Call it end at 1045pm and drove home to the Inland Empire. I had a great time run up and down at the beach even though I caught nothing. :lol: Feel free to pm me if you like. I have 7 days left before going back to work. I definitely want to go out to the ocean again. Any suggestions?
Fish on and God bless,
servantjoe

vanillagurilla
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
maybe smaller bait? try the smaller version of the sandcrab. also the crabs i belive are spawning right now or whatever its called when crabs reproduce lol.

KaliDawgFan
06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
I've tried all different kinds of Berkley saltwater plastics from the surf and haven't caught anything with any of them except for the camo sandworm. I've tried the shrimp in two different sizes and colors for nada. I've tried the sand crabs in two different sizes and colors for zilch. I've tried the squid in two different sizes and colors for nothing. Live sand crabs and ghost shrimp seem to always do well though.

servant joe
06-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your advice. I guess I have to return them back to Turner. Does anyone know if Turner take back their products? Used and Unuse?
servantjoe

valhalla_1_2000
06-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Not is sure if Turner to take back. Might as well to try.

victor101
06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I've tried all different kinds of Berkley saltwater plastics from the surf and haven't caught anything with any of them except for the camo sandworm. I've tried the shrimp in two different sizes and colors for nada. I've tried the sand crabs in two different sizes and colors for zilch. I've tried the squid in two different sizes and colors for nothing. Live sand crabs and ghost shrimp seem to always do well though.

same here...ive tried the sandcrabs and got no bites. the camo sanworms have always worked for me. on a boat, ive used the 3" gulp squid with much success. great for rockfish. and ive heard of people catching the jackpot fish on the 5" ones.

servant joe
06-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks Victor. I wonder perhaps it is the tide? It pounded very hard last night.
servantjoe

Granny Fish
06-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Could have been anything or a combination of things.... using fake bait is not always as productive as live... takes some finesse in my opinon. Live bait is natural... not much to it. Keep trying with the artificials but try some of the live baits too. It is always fun when you can say you caught something doing this, that or the other thing. Who knows???? You could surprise yourself.

Good job out there!
Thanks for the report :thumb: