PDA

View Full Version : Making Sabiki Rigs?

City Dad
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM
anyone here make their own sabiki rigs?

If so, what knot(s) do you use?

can they be tied one palomar knot to the next or do you need some line off of each dropper?

appreciate any insight.

HEMAN
08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
interesting question.. a bunch of palomar knots sounds like a good idea.. or a bunch of dropper loops?

but they are so cheap sometimes, why make it? i've seen them go for like $1 a piece at Walmart

City Dad
08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
interesting question.. a bunch of palomar knots sounds like a good idea.. or a bunch of dropper loops?

but they are so cheap sometimes, why make it? i've seen them go for like $1 a piece at Walmart

taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own. also thought they might tangle less with just knots.

I think we'll try the dropper loop set-up. Thanks.

HEMAN
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own. also thought they might tangle less with just knots.

I think we'll try the dropper loop set-up. Thanks.

sounds like a great idea! what are you going to use for the "bait", just tying yarn onto it? just wondering.. maybe add some of those tiny beads?

calico killer kevin
08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
I tie my own, but I only use 3 hooks at a time max cause once you swing them on the pier and leave them flopping around, they tangle very easily. I use a bunch of palomars or dropper loops. Just depends on how heavy the line is. I use beads, and as flashers, I use colored foil or sequins.

Speaking of sabikis, I just bought a bunch of size 26 dry fly hoooks that I need to make a rig out of.

To store them, I use a 5"x6" piece of carboard with slits on opposite sides. Try it out, saves a ton of time and money.

City Dad
08-21-2009, 08:01 PM
sounds like a great idea! what are you going to use for the "bait", just tying yarn onto it? just wondering.. maybe add some of those tiny beads?

bead heads and I'll let my girls pick between pearl flash and assorted shiney stuff.

sansou
08-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Surgeon's knot or Spider hitch (cut) or Dropper Loop (cut), some red yarn and/or foil. Snell the hooks on.

...or just buy them for a $1 or so a piece!

BIGRED KILLA
08-22-2009, 01:56 AM
To much work go get the cheaper ones for a buck add a piece of small squid shrimp or mussel for insurance if they are picky. I like to use a heavy weight so when you have a few fish on there esp with Macks the line stays tight and there is less tangles then if you are using a light weight. Bring a small knife so you can take the fish off using the back of the knife IMO way better then pliers for the small hooks. If you want to catch smelt for bait chum bread use the smallest Sabiki hooks you can find i like to use the ones with no beads or you can break em off cut tiny pieces of squid and put on all the hooks then you have halis favorite food.

Good luck,,

Bigred

That Dang Guy
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd have to agree about buying them for a buck each. The work and materials, you might be able to save a few cents.

If you want to build something, a sabiki rod is the way to go. I'm planning one right now. I hate that sabiki flopping around in the rod holders on the boat. Pretty cool, you just wind it straight into the rod and the weight seats into the tip of the rod.

HEMAN
08-22-2009, 01:05 PM
i think some of you missed this the post that said.

"taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own."

That Dang Guy
08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh haha. I skimmed. So shoot me.

Sounds like a fun activity. Hooks and kids can be a bit dangerous at times, but having them learn how to handle hooks is always a good idea. Can't always tie their hook for 'em.

calico killer kevin
08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd have to agree about buying them for a buck each. The work and materials, you might be able to save a few cents.

If you want to build something, a sabiki rod is the way to go. I'm planning one right now. I hate that sabiki flopping around in the rod holders on the boat. Pretty cool, you just wind it straight into the rod and the weight seats into the tip of the rod.
DUDE! Info? Sounds like something I need. No more getting Sabikis in the back of the neck.

Thread jack over hehe.

xjdesertfox
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
if you want to make a "filipino style" sabiki jig

just tightly wrap some yellow fly hair material to the hook and cover the line wrap in some red nail polish. fish will go for it like crazy even when they dont go for the normal sabikis

IN2DEEP
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
City Dad,
I have been meaning to make a tutorial on how I make my own Sabiki rigs.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=37505

Thanks for inspiring me!
Scott

smokehound
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I made a multi-hook dropshot rig with tiny little hooks. Worked fine for me, and it doesnt get all tangled up like a sabiki does.

ghetto dad
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
lol...theyre like $2 apiece brother....just purchase them

GD