PDA

View Full Version : Bishop weather forecast (mostly just b'chin bout it)

IK13
08-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Was planning on going up there this weekend with a friend and our kids. Tent camping, no campers, cabins etc.

Then he looked at the forecast this morning (why?:)) and there's 40% chance of thunderstorms (pretty much starting Friday night all the way through Sunday).

Summer flush rains up there are something very usual, but these typically don't make the forecast at all.
Now that the forecast has it (with a good chance) for the whole weekend I'm not sure I want to drive 700+ miles to take this chance. Especially with the kids.

What do you guys think?

ttplt
08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Will be there Friday thru Sunday as well. Tent camping with a wife and kids and rain would not be ideal but still better than working.

Will be at Lone Pine Creek by 6:30AM on Friday. Fish the Power Plant Friday evening. Benton's Crossing Saturday morning. Back to the Power Plant for Saturday evening and back again Sunday morning.

Bite reports have been pretty light lately. Anyone have a clue about how the Bishop area is doing?

exodus
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
IME, a 40% chance of rain could mean that you get dumped on in the afternoon, or get no rain at all. It really will depend on what specific area you are in.

Being prepared for the wet weather will make all the difference, though. Some plastic rain parkas or similar gear for everyone are pretty cheap ($2 - $5 each). And I'm betting if the kids are young, they'll have a blast in the rain. Yes, you will probably have a mess to clean up though.

seal
08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Local weatherman Howard Schecter's weather report. Think a good chance of some thunder and wet stuff coming. I'm heading to BBL and the same report for there this weekend. I like the storms though.

http://izotz.com/dweebreport/

jim532
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I just looked at weather.com for Bishop and it's 102 degrees right now.

I would go, if it actully does rain and it's too much then grab a hotel room for the rest of the time.

IK13
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
We went after all and had good time. The weather was great for fishing Friday and Saturday and we got to catch some. It started raining Saturday night. Not pouring, I like fishing in this knd of rain, but not with kids. So we packed and left Sunday. It's unbelieveable how much difference few miles can make in the mountain. It was all cloudy, overcast and drizzling up there, while down in Bishop was sunny and hot with no signs of rain at all...

ttplt
08-24-2009, 07:11 PM
IK13, you're right! Great fishing weather! Fished Pleasant Valley friday afternoon, morning and afternoon Saturday and Sunday morning. Saturday morning was the best. Caught a personal best 24" 5 lb rainbow on a salmon egg!

DccFISHerMan
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
when i was up there a few weeks ago they called for snow down to 8500 feet and and we had some nice weather!!!

smokehound
08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I would so totally rough it through the rain over there. Trout go nuts when thunderstorms brew.

Being inside a thunderstorm kinda scares me though.

IK13
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I would so totally rough it through the rain over there. Trout go nuts when thunderstorms brew.

Being inside a thunderstorm kinda scares me though.

...especially with a long graphite pole in your hand :)

Daryl
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
We were up in Mammoth. Nice weather Friday and Saturday. It started to rain Saturday night around 11pm and didn't stop. We finally packed up in the rain at 1pm Sunday and headed home. The weather was nice in Bishop when we passed through.