PDA

View Full Version : newport pier quick report

megafisher94
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
was at the beach with the family and decided to go up on the pier to take a look... it wasnt a good look. the entire surf zone was filled with snaggers. i saw 2 corbina come over only to be stomped and quickly beheaded and filleted to be used AS BAIT. well i wasnt in in a good mood but i proceded in my walk down the pier. lots of smelt and a few chovies half way out. lots of the same at the end plus macks, 'dines(never seen them there) and 2 small bonies.

crappiemike
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
thnx for the report.....

cm

bergie berg
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
somebody needs to do something about those snaggers, that is absolute crap those guys do that. I once was on balboa pier and saw those guys snag a huge halibut

TShaffer
08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know if snagging is illegal but it definately should be. It's so angering to see that crap.

pineapple express
08-19-2009, 11:28 PM
yup... can't really call that fishing now can ya. i agree, there should be
an ordinance against this type of so called fishing.
mahaloz for da report
PE

smokehound
08-20-2009, 05:44 AM
Oh man if i saw someone using beans for bait, id lose it and end up in jail for assault and battery.

calico killer kevin
08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Snagging is not illegal, but it is very interesting. Seeing them with 4-8 large trebles and 2-4oz weights at each end with plastic bags, looking into the water, and snagging anything that swims is absolutely amazing. Not just anyone can do that. They have a skill that not too many possess. Out of all the snaggers, only the best get the pescados. If they caught those fish with a strip of squid, would you be upset? If I may ask, why does it matter which way they catch the fish?

Thanks for the report though.

vanillagurilla
08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
yup snagging is not illegal in salt water. seems kinda hard to do especial from the pier lol.

fish4keep
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Snagging is not illegal, but it is very interesting. Seeing them with 4-8 large trebles and 2-4oz weights at each end with plastic bags, looking into the water, and snagging anything that swims is absolutely amazing. Not just anyone can do that. They have a skill that not too many possess. Out of all the snaggers, only the best get the pescados. If they caught those fish with a strip of squid, would you be upset? If I may ask, why does it matter which way they catch the fish?

Thanks for the report though.

SKILL in snagging????? I don't think there's any skill needed in snagging. Now if you said patience, I would agree. All you have to do is wait for the fish to come over the big ***** trebles and swing for the sky. Doesn't look like it take much skill in that.......

If they caught the fish with a strip of squid, most real anglers wouldn't be upset. Atleast the fish has a choice to eat the squid or not. Which most likely wont happen since corbs don't really eat squid. I guess if anyone is not good at fishing, taking up snaggin is their only choice...............

TShaffer
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
SKILL in snagging????? I don't think there's any skill needed in snagging. Now if you said patience, I would agree. All you have to do is wait for the fish to come over the big ***** trebles and swing for the sky. Doesn't look like it take much skill in that.......

If they caught the fish with a strip of squid, most real anglers wouldn't be upset. Atleast the fish has a choice to eat the squid or not. Which most likely happen since corbs don't really eat squid. I guess if anyone is not good at fishing, taking up snaggin is their only choice...............

More than half the time they aren't even "sight snagging" they just sling it out there and reel in with a jerking motion. That doesn't take skill. Right on fish4keep. Snaggers should be considered poachers in my opinion anyway. They don't know the meaning of regulations. Whatever they happen to snag will definatley killed by the gaping wounds in their side if not by the snaggers themselves. Corbinas for bait...WTF?!

calico killer kevin
08-20-2009, 04:51 PM

If they caught the fish with a strip of squid, most real anglers wouldn't be upset. Atleast the fish has a choice to eat the squid or not. Which most likely happen since corbs don't really eat squid. I guess if anyone is not good at fishing, taking up snaggin is their only choice...............
If you sit there and watch them snagging, you'll notice that it is not as easy as you think. Simple maybe, but not easy. Can you spot a fish from the pier, get your hooks in the perfect position, and get a clean sweep to snag the fish that is swimming down there? Keep in mind that there are others after that same fish, so to snag it, you have to be better than the rest.

"Real Anglers" is a very loose term. Ask the typical bass fisherman if they think live bait fisherman are "Real Anglers". I know that most would say no. Remember, "Real Anglers" only fish with artificials.:Rolls Eyes: Do you really believe that fishing a strip of squid on a c-rig takes more skill than snagging a fish?

calico killer kevin
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
More than half the time they aren't even "sight snagging" they just sling it out there and reel in with a jerking motion. That doesn't take skill. Right on fish4keep. Snaggers should be considered poachers in my opinion anyway. They don't know the meaning of regulations. Whatever they happen to snag will definatley killed by the gaping wounds in their side if not by the snaggers themselves. Corbinas for bait...WTF?!
Really? Out of all the snaggers on the pier, yoou see the ones that are blindly casting and retrieving are the ones catching the most fish? 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman. How are these snaggers poaching? Poaching is illegally keeping or killing animals, not whatever you feel is the "incorrect" way.

Yes, most of the fish die, but most are kept to be eaten or used as bait, am I correct?

TShaffer
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Really? Out of all the snaggers on the pier, yoou see the ones that are blindly casting and retrieving are the ones catching the most fish? 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman. How are these snaggers poaching? Poaching is illegally keeping or killing animals, not whatever you feel is the "incorrect" way.

Yes, most of the fish die, but most are kept to be eaten or used as bait, am I correct?

Well waht happens if they snag a fish that is too small to keep or your not even allowed to keep? What happens then? Throw it back and watch it float away? Yea right. They'd keep it even if it wasn't already dead. Last time I checked that is poaching.

calico killer kevin
08-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Well waht happens if they snag a fish that is too small to keep or your not even allowed to keep? What happens then? Throw it back and watch it float away? Yea right. They'd keep it even if it wasn't already dead. Last time I checked that is poaching.
That is true. If they do happen to snag something that is not keepable, it's dead. Let's play statistics though. How many commonly snagged fish have a size limit? I doubt they commonly snag undersized halis or WSB.

It may sound like I'm defending the snaggers, but I just like to have an argument every now and again.:Envious:

TShaffer
08-20-2009, 09:19 PM
That is true. If they do happen to snag something that is not keepable, it's dead. Let's play statistics though. How many commonly snagged fish have a size limit? I doubt they commonly snag undersized halis or WSB.

It may sound like I'm defending the snaggers, but I just like to have an argument every now and again.:Envious:

Well that's understandable. Who doesn't like a good argument every now and again?

fish4keep
08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
If you sit there and watch them snagging, you'll notice that it is not as easy as you think. Simple maybe, but not easy. Can you spot a fish from the pier, get your hooks in the perfect position, and get a clean sweep to snag the fish that is swimming down there? Keep in mind that there are others after that same fish, so to snag it, you have to be better than the rest.

"Real Anglers" is a very loose term. Ask the typical bass fisherman if they think live bait fisherman are "Real Anglers". I know that most would say no. Remember, "Real Anglers" only fish with artificials.:Rolls Eyes: Do you really believe that fishing a strip of squid on a c-rig takes more skill than snagging a fish?

I don't need to sit there and watch them. I know how they snag them and yes I do think it's as easy as I think. Unlike them, I don't have the patience to stand there waiting for a fish to come by. Yes, you can spot a fish from the pier with a pair of polarized sunglasses. They are not snagging in deep water, that's why they stay toward the shallow end. There's no "perfect position". They just cast out and reel in the line to make the trebles line up straight. When they see the fish coming, and if it's swimming on the inside between the trebs and pier, they just reel in some line and wait til the fish crosses over. If the fish goes on the outside, it's safe. You don't have to be better than the rest to snag fish. It depends on the path that the fish takes. If it crosses yours, you get the chance to snag it, if it crosses theirs, they get the chance to snag it. Not you have to be better snagger then them......

smokehound
08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Well yes, snagging is legal, but im a regular at that pier, and the same people you are talking about illegally sell their catch. Most commonly, you will see them at the end of the day with about 15 mullet on the pier, selling them. I used to fish that pier from sunrise to sunset, and I would see several fish sold illegally. Ive only seen a DFG warden patrol this pier once, and he didnt ticket the people that had overlimits of tiny barred surfperch and yellowfin croaker.

Spend the day from sunrise to sunset at Newport pier, and you will see many fish being illegally sold. It got so bad that i had to leave the pier and go all the way to 23rd street to release a leopard shark. I have been in a few fights there too, one caused because i threw a halibut back, and some ******* tried to sock me because i wouldnt give it to him. Fortunately for me, he slipped and dislocated his shoulder. He was injured by his own mess.

This pier has alot of problems, and im shocked that nobody ever bothers to clean up their mess before they leave. Just terrible.

RUSSO
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Snaggers Suck! Just dispicable, unbelievable that its legal.

SHAD MAN 09
08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
all they really go for is those nasty mullet and half of them dont have license i paid my dues they should to i dont care if they snag as long as it aint my line and as for snaggin of a pier they shouldnt be throwin trebels anyway but why argue its legal and wont change.:Smile:

4g63power
08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Oh man if i saw someone using beans for bait, id lose it and end up in jail for assault and battery.

really? you would go to jail for corbina?thats hardcore buddy..snagging just seems very illegal because its mainly done by asians and so called these poacher looking people according to many of you guys. yea snagging sucks....

TShaffer
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
really? you would go to jail for corbina?thats hardcore buddy..snagging just seems very illegal because its mainly done by asians and so called these poacher looking people according to many of you guys. yea snagging sucks....

You're dang right it does.

fish4keep
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM

It's been a while since I've been on NP pier but I've yet to see an ASIAN lined up at the rail snagging. Most if not all that I've seen snagging at NP pier are Hispanic decended. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. But I have seen all kind of race snagging in LB........

SHAD MAN 09
08-21-2009, 10:53 PM
It's been a while since I've been on NP pier but I've yet to see an ASIAN lined up at the rail snagging. Most if not all that I've seen snagging at NP pier are Hispanic decended. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. But I have seen all kind of race snagging in LB........

yup your right I see them all the time at seal beach jettys I always watch to see if one guy falls in a crack :Big Grin:no luck yet :ROFL::ROFL:

calico killer kevin
08-21-2009, 11:21 PM
MIRA! MIRA! MIRA! El pescado nada a usted!

megafisher94
08-22-2009, 12:22 PM
bottom line, its wrong. there is no real presentation and hardly any scent to a snagging rig so the fish doesnt realy have a choice.that is MOST DEFINATLY NOT REAL FISHING. correct me if im wrong but to take a lure, a fish has to see it and attack it out of reaction or hunger. bait has to be smelled out, the fish not been spooked by the line, and held on to. snagging does NONE OF THIS. so in my book its ruled out as real fishing...

smokehound
08-22-2009, 12:31 PM
all they really go for is those nasty mullet and half of them dont have license i paid my dues they should to i dont care if they snag as long as it aint my line and as for snaggin of a pier they shouldnt be throwin trebels anyway but why argue its legal and wont change.:Smile:They certainly dont just target mullet. They target anything they see. Halis, leos, everything.