PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Upper Lake 08/18/09

Panfish Junior
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Checked my freezer last night couldn't find anymore striper so I decided to hit up Castaic Upper Lake. Got there around 6 in the morning and saw boils everywhere. I tossed all kind of topwater lures but no love cause I wasn't fast enough. Maybe that's just me, I guess. They only stayed on top about 10 to 15 seconds the most, that's why. Anyway, at the end of the day I managed to land 5 of them on cut baits (Sardines). Good luck and have fun to all of you out there.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/panfishjunior/Castaic%20Lake/DSC03069.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/panfishjunior/Castaic%20Lake/DSC03169.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/panfishjunior/Castaic%20Lake/DSC03165.jpg

Thanks for reading!

PJ

Liteweight
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe you didn't get any on the topwater :Sad: but you still managed to get a few. :Big Grin:

Nice going. Thanks for the post.

LW

fishntoss
08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Not lookin for any secret spots, but about where were you.. Did you walk to that spot or boat on over then just park it there?? Cool spot where ever it was.. Like the umbrella...

Nice fish also.. who cares if you didn't hit the boils..You caught something...

Thanx for sharing

Panfish Junior
08-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Not lookin for any secret spots, but about where were you.. Did you walk to that spot or boat on over then just park it there?? Cool spot where ever it was.. Like the umbrella...

Nice fish also.. who cares if you didn't hit the boils..You caught something...

Thanx for sharing

West Ramp near the parking lot. Good luck and have fun out there brotha!

vagabond
08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
panfish JR. you always doing a killing outhere...wtg

kgselect
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Those are some nice sized Stripers. Congrats.

pokerface12
08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
You should change your name to striper JR instead of panfish JR. Good job out there man.

TroutOnly
08-19-2009, 07:32 PM
GREAT JOB STRIPERS-JUNIOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,uncle bob,,,,,,,AKA STRIPERONLY,,,LOL,,,

Panfish Junior
08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
You should change your name to striper JR instead of panfish JR. Good job out there man.

:Neutral::Neutral::Neutral::Neutral::Neutral::LOL: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Panfish Junior
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
GREAT JOB STRIPERS-JUNIOR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,uncle bob,,,,,,,AKA STRIPERONLY,,,LOL,,,

I've been getting a lot of luck with the cut baits lately. I need to know how to work topwater lures. I've been practicing for awhile. For some reason, I always miss my target everytime I cast it. Whenever I be able to control it on the right target and catch me something with it, I'll have Panfish Junior changed to Stripers Junior. :LOL:

crappiemike
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
thnx for your report and pics!! good job out there toooo...

cm

PWBUILDING
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM

cm

have not heard any reports from you in awhile
hope all is well

Panfish Junior
08-19-2009, 09:48 PM

cm

Now is the time to play with the topwater lures, spoon or Rat-L-Trap. Check it out when you have time, CM. Good luck and have fun fishing!

old pudd fisher
08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Nice shore set up Good thinking with the umbrella that sun gets hot. You got some good eats thier. Nice catch and thanks for the pics they were injoyed.

YellowCabozon
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
WOW!:Shocked: those are some nice striperz man. I'm going to have to hit that place up myself and test my luck.

gavin310
08-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Nice job PJ! I was out there last Sunday and got a few smallies in the boils. Lots of people were catching them in the boils and I didn't see anybody using topwater lures. I was using a Krocodile and was bringing it in about 2 feet below the surface and i was getting hooked up in every boil. People were catching them using all kinds of lures.

Panfish Junior
08-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Nice job PJ! I was out there last Sunday and got a few smallies in the boils. Lots of people were catching them in the boils and I didn't see anybody using topwater lures. I was using a Krocodile and was bringing it in about 2 feet below the surface and i was getting hooked up in every boil. People were catching them using all kinds of lures.

I'm gonna get me a few Krocodiles and hit it up there again soon. Thanks and congrats on your catch brotha!

Ulua1
08-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Nice job on the striper slay. Another killer posting!

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Keep on Keepin' on !

Way ta slay......nice job,nice consistency : )
Gary

Natural Lefty
08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Panfish Junior, would you happen to know how the fishing for panfish has been at Castaic Lagoon? My wife and I stopped there on the way back from Sequoia two years ago and I caught a good size Redear there, plus a family was cleaning their stripers from Pyramid Lake there and gave us some. :Surprised: Now my wife is talking about going back.

Panfish Junior
08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Panfish Junior, would you happen to know how the fishing for panfish has been at Castaic Lagoon? My wife and I stopped there on the way back from Sequoia two years ago and I caught a good size Redear there, plus a family was cleaning their stripers from Pyramid Lake there and gave us some. :Surprised: Now my wife is talking about going back.

To tell you the truth, I've never fished at Castaic Lagoon before however you could try at Lake Perris instead. A friend of mine just got back from there and he caught a bunch of bullhead bluegills on crickets. Good luck and have fun fishing out there.

gavin310
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm gonna get me a few Krocodiles and hit it up there again soon. Thanks and congrats on your catch brotha!

A cool thing about Krocodiles is you can use them as a topwater too. When the lure is about to hit the water, start reeling in fast to keep it on top of the water. As long as you don't slow down your reeling too much, it will stay on top and glide across the water like a topwater lure.

Panfish Junior
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Keep on Keepin' on !

Way ta slay......nice job,nice consistency : )
Gary

I gotta join you one of these day so I could learn somethin' from you, Mr. G.... :LOL:

Panfish Junior
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
A cool thing about Krocodiles is you can use them as a topwater too. When the lure is about to hit the water, start reeling in fast to keep it on top of the water. As long as you don't slow down your reeling too much, it will stay on top and glide across the water like a topwater lure.

Really? I didn't know that. Cool!!! Thanks for the useful tip brotha!

Natural Lefty
08-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Gavin, I second your opinion about Krocodiles. I have caught some of my biggest fish on them. Stripers hit them topwater when they are in a feeding frenzy, but the ones I have hooked that way keep getting off. :Crying:

Panfish Junior, I live in Moreno Valley and Lake Perris is my homelake. My last couple of times there I only caught small ones for some reason, but Lake Perris is the one I always go back to at least once per month or so. :Cool:

bones
08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Great job on Mr. Lineside!!
I used to chase boils on the shoreline in that spot a few times a week. I used to carry two rods with me. One with a 6" topwater pencil popper and one with a good subsurface bait like a 3/8oz bucktail with white curlytail grub trailer. Hitting those micro boils is really just being in the right place at the right time but if you are just a tad bit too late.....toss the subsurface bait. Chances are that the stripers are still there but just a few feet below the surface.

Panfish Junior
08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Great job on Mr. Lineside!!
I used to chase boils on the shoreline in that spot a few times a week. I used to carry two rods with me. One with a 6" topwater pencil popper and one with a good subsurface bait like a 3/8oz bucktail with white curlytail grub trailer. Hitting those micro boils is really just being in the right place at the right time but if you are just a tad bit too late.....toss the subsurface bait. Chances are that the stripers are still there but just a few feet below the surface.

3/8oz bucktail huhh! I got a few of those sitting at home. I never had a chance to use it. From now on, I'm gonna start using it. Thanks for the tip brotha! :LOL:

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Gavin, I second your opinion about Krocodiles. I have caught some of my biggest fish on them. Stripers hit them topwater when they are in a feeding frenzy, but the ones I have hooked that way keep getting off. :Crying:

Panfish Junior, I live in Moreno Valley and Lake Perris is my homelake. My last couple of times there I only caught small ones for some reason, but Lake Perris is the one I always go back to at least once per month or so. :Cool:
a little tip for those fish getting off (sometimes ya cant help it though)

try the newer patterned crocs with the treble with 1 offset hook, I've got em on that too and usually that ofset hook gets 'em...u can do it topwater but just below the surface works great too with rapid pumps of the rod and a fast retrieve with the pole set high...

also a lipless rattle lure tears 'em up subsurface, I've nailed em down hard with the KPN when they retreat to slightly deeper depths but don't be fooled...with the right action...you can draw the strike on a topwater in dead water with no surface activity, I've been getting 2/3rds of my hookups on topwater in dead water......

Just fish it hard...they will react if theyre near ! and you give the proper retrieve pattern..

also try some flyline dressing on your line for topwater action.....you'll love it !

AQUABOOGIE AKA MADDFISHIN
08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Looking good!!! No matter how u got em'!!! Great job!!!

RamboBoy
08-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice going out there.

Topwater is pretty tough for everyone with no love. Need something that it is really best topwater lure fishing while the mad stripers is boiling

Stripah slayahs

BIGBASS MB
08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice report!!!! Like the stright foward answers, this is fishing....

ZplugJunkie
08-21-2009, 02:07 PM
dang unc, i think you need to run faster next time hahaha... afternoon is better for the bigger ones..:LOL:

Panfish Junior
08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
dang unc, i think you need to run faster next time hahaha... afternoon is better for the bigger ones..:LOL:

You got that right... I gotta improve my running. I make sure one of these day I'm gonna catch me a bigger model at least one on topwater lure. :LOL:

Panfish Junior
08-22-2009, 10:14 PM
a little tip for those fish getting off (sometimes ya cant help it though)

try the newer patterned crocs with the treble with 1 offset hook, I've got em on that too and usually that ofset hook gets 'em...u can do it topwater but just below the surface works great too with rapid pumps of the rod and a fast retrieve with the pole set high...

also a lipless rattle lure tears 'em up subsurface, I've nailed em down hard with the KPN when they retreat to slightly deeper depths but don't be fooled...with the right action...you can draw the strike on a topwater in dead water with no surface activity, I've been getting 2/3rds of my hookups on topwater in dead water......

Just fish it hard...they will react if theyre near ! and you give the proper retrieve pattern..

also try some flyline dressing on your line for topwater action.....you'll love it !

I've never tried this kind of setup before. I'm gonna try it out and see what happen. Thanks for sharing Gary!

klymons
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Krocodiles are the way to go when you're shore fishing--especially with light line and 9 to 10-foot medium spinning rod. You can cast those suckers a mile! Plunk one down in--or around a boil--and it's instant hookup! Of course, when push comes to shove, you can't beat the cut baits. Anyway. great report!

Panfish Junior
08-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Krocodiles are the way to go when you're shore fishing--especially with light line and 9 to 10-foot medium spinning rod. You can cast those suckers a mile! Plunk one down in--or around a boil--and it's instant hookup! Of course, when push comes to shove, you can't beat the cut baits. Anyway. great report!

Yeh, I tried the Krocodiles at Castaic Upper today. Just like you said, I got instant hookup. I managed to land 3 decent size stripers at the old launching ramp. I missed a lot of hit cause I'm still practicing it. Hopefully, I'll be able to master it in the future. Thanks everyone for giving me all these great tips. Have fun fishing out there guys! :LOL: