PDA

View Full Version : Good Day at DVL

sharky56
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
14731my nephew and i hit the water at 6:45am trolling out of the marina with no luck. when the kid suggested we anhcored down over some grass. within 20 min we had our first of 12 largemouth. caught all within a hour 5 were keepers. took them home to help out the neighbors. Especially my nephews 5.22lb man was it a beautiful bass, tightlines and good luck all.

trollmiester
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
glad you had a good catch of fish at the jewel.

2quikmotorwerks
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
UH OHH i got a feeling s--t's gonna hit the fan, the bass nazi'should be kicking in anytime now

boomstikit
08-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Please don't keep bass you catch.

Thanks.

basscatcher
08-19-2009, 11:26 AM
nice fish. get ready to hear people tell you stuff about keeping the fish. but for me just release the bigger ones like the 4+lber's

God Bless

basscatcher

rrawstron
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
the biggest ones taste the worst...the best eaters are gonna be the younger smaller fish...but suit yourself.

LMB dont have much taste anyway...if you're gonna eat them every other fish available to catch at DVL will taste better.

Sparky70
08-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Throw em all back, Bass taste bad anyway...just my opinion. Eat Crappie!

Natural Lefty
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Apparently, a lot of people have been doing taste-test comparisons of Bass with other members of the Sunfish family.

Somehow, I doubt that. My BS-ometer is on high alert.:Rolls Eyes:

Bass taste as good as other members of the Sunfish family, although the really big ones might not taste as good as the medium sized ones. I don't know; I have never eaten a really big Bass.

GLB
08-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Put the L/M Bass back CPR. Have your neighbors go to Stater Bros.

hookup90247
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Unless you actually can't read, let me explain what he did. Apparently his neighbors need help and by giving them fish to eat, they may be able to just get by. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with taking a few fish home for the table. Yes...I understand the arguments about catch and release. Just keep in mind that we aren't talking "South East Asian Style" gillnetting like at some of our lakes like in the past. He took a legal limit of fish home to help out a friend. At least he was mindful of the size limit...right? If you think he is the only one taking fish out of there you're crazy. Why not join up with the DFG and walk the banks with your ticket book issuing tickets to the shore fishermen who are over-limit or taking fish that are too small. Until you're ready to take that action...don't bang on someone who took a few fish home.

I've been a bass fisherman for a long time and I definitely am a catch and release fisherman...but giving this guy a hard time for having a great time on the water and enjoying the lake for what it was meant for and to top it off doing a good deed for someone in need...you need to get a life.

Darin

GLB
08-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Have him go to Stater Bros.

goseango
08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
he has TWO posts, both on same subject.....TROLL......................:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:

Natural Lefty
08-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Darin, I agree, and I will repeat what I wrote on the other thread on this topic, in abbreviated form: I think that people who tell other people what to do are obligated to explain their reasons.

GLB
08-23-2009, 02:42 PM
The money that he spent on the boat & gas would have bought alot more fish at Costco or Stater Bros.that he took home. CPR-Catch Photo & Release.and the fish would still be in the lake for some one else to catch and release.

GLB

GLB
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
If your are not familar with Lake Perris when it open they said the new record would come out of Perris but the fools fished all the spoted bass out of the lake. If they had CPR-Catch Photo & release we would have had a new record for Ca.

GBL

hookup90247
08-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey GLB...

This is becoming a pissing match. Here's the deal. I'm not promoting catch and kill. All I'm saying is if this were a friendly board...which most of the people reading are probably that sort...you would just congratulate the guy for first of all taking his nephew fishing...secondly on a good catch. To see a kid catch a 5lb bass...why not take it home. That is an accomplishment and should be enjoyed.

The reality is that you really don't know what you're talking about. Not everyone HAS to release EVERY bass that is caught. Were you aware that in some bodies of water...catch and release has STUNTED the growth of generations of bass because there isn't enough food or space to go around. Furthermore...the comment that you made about Perris was completely inaccurate! You say that it's because people fished out all the spots? Do your homework first. How old are you? Do you even remember when the spots were in there? You obviously don't remember what happened. Perris was a "World Class" spotted bass fishery back in the 80's. At one time the record was broken several times in successive weeks! It was rockin! Then...some idiot decided...there weren't enough fish in that lake so he dropped some largemouth bass in. The largemouth took over the lake within a few years to the point where the simply pushed out the spots!

If you want to catch and release...that's great! I'm with you all the way. I also don't think the fish is that great to eat anyway. However...stop blasting people who want to take a few! Sharky56 never said he was taking every bass he caught...he just said he took a few back to the neighbors. As long as people are observing the legal limits...what's the problem? The DFG has established the limits to control the fishery. If they believed that 5 fish per angler was too much of a burden on the fishery...they would drop it. You need to relax and enjoy fishing...it's not your responsibility to make sure that every bass that is hooked is put back. Let it go!

Darin

fisherman from long beach
08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Unless you actually can't read, let me explain what he did. Apparently his neighbors need help and by giving them fish to eat, they may be able to just get by. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with taking a few fish home for the table. Yes...I understand the arguments about catch and release. Just keep in mind that we aren't talking "South East Asian Style" gillnetting like at some of our lakes like in the past. He took a legal limit of fish home to help out a friend. At least he was mindful of the size limit...right? If you think he is the only one taking fish out of there you're crazy. Why not join up with the DFG and walk the banks with your ticket book issuing tickets to the shore fishermen who are over-limit or taking fish that are too small. Until you're ready to take that action...don't bang on someone who took a few fish home.

I've been a bass fisherman for a long time and I definitely am a catch and release fisherman...but giving this guy a hard time for having a great time on the water and enjoying the lake for what it was meant for and to top it off doing a good deed for someone in need...you need to get a life.

Darin
i honestly agree 100%

hunter58
08-24-2009, 01:36 PM
I do agree too.
Hi this is my introduce to the forum, i has been reading the posts for long time and, when things like this show up, I believe that's is a personal choice to take or not to take whatever you cath, if you follow the F&G regulations
and the limits. I cath so many fish that has been release before and show a lot a damage at the mouth an scales from a careless so call fisherman CPR's.
Show some respect to people and enjoy your fish days...thank you.:LOL:

Natural Lefty
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Hookup, good job on that post explaining something about Bass populations. You presaged what I was ready to write about Bass as well. They get stunted in many places, just like other species, and no, the Spotted Bass weren't fished out at Lake Perris; the Largemouths just outcompeted them. I read somewhere that Fishery Biologists have found that removing by fishing 1/3 of the Bass population annually improves the fishing. That means keeping some Bass, but not all of them. The DFG makes the rules the way they are, keeping the findings of fisheries experts in mind, to help maintain good fisheries.

Sparky70
08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Any size BASS tasts like Ka Ka! I like Crappie and Bluegill better. Throw the BASS back and let it grow bigger 4 the BASS FISHERMEN!
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

smokehound
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
largemouth bass taste good, but the larger ones sometimes have a really "green" taste to em.

Smallmouth bass taste alot better.

Still, there's no point in whining at someone for keeping a bass from a well-maintained lake.

And BTW, no it wasn't just people that decimated the spotties at perris. That's just ignorant.

Spotties just couldn't compete with the largemouth bass. They both occupy the same niche in this lake, so there's obviously gonna be some competition. Also, spotted bass just dont reproduce well in lakes.

Natural Lefty
08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Smokehound, I agree, Largemouth taste good but Smallmouth taste better.

Two of us have already made the point that it was the Largemouths that did in the Spotted Bass at Perris. Thanks for reinforcing the point, though.

By the way, it is my opinion that all those species which got into Perris but were never stocked, most likely got in there through the aquaduct from Silverwood. No matter how people try to prevent fish from getting through, there will always be some baby fish that do. If you were a baby fish that got sucked into the tunnel, would you rather spend your life in darkness, or ride that thing out until you made it to some open water? I think they keep going until they reach open water, which means Lake Perris.

smokehound
08-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Yup exactly why you see so many carp everywhere. Even temporary bodies of water have carp in them. Storms, floods, many ways invading fish can find their way into another lake.

Gobigal
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I have not logged a response to this forum in a long time, so "long time-third time". My usual strategie over the years while fishing Silverwood, Castaic, Pyramid, Perris and now DMV, was to catch LMB in the am and troll for trout in the pm. I would catch 10-15 LMB bass and many 4-5 lb holdover trout. I would only take home a few trout and CPR the LMB.

My main concern over the last 20-years or so, has been the demise of the "holdover" trout and bass fishery here in SoCal, not because of the few anglers who take fish home for a meal, but the striped bass. I know I'm going to raise some hackles here (striped bass fisherman), but striped bass have been the main culprit in eliminating the world record LMB from coming out of these lakes. Trolling for huge "holdovers" is now a thing of the past. I now fish Piru and Lake Casitas for holdover trout and that potential record LMB from Casitas. The common denominator to these two lakes is........you're right, no stripers (yet?).

My point to all of this is to not blame the angler, but the real culprit to our depleted fishery. I guess for me the bottom line is, do not CPR striped bass and I heard they taste excellent.

Natural Lefty
08-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Gobigal, I have only caught small Stripers, but they are tasty. I think the DFG does recognize the problem and encourages people to keep ones from lakes and aquaducts where they were never intended to be. They are actually a very commonly sold market fish in many areas, and a fairly expensive one at that, so they are highly valued as food. But as voracious top predators, they tend to take lakes over.

Smokehound, Carp are indeed a good example. They seem to find their way into every body of water, uninvited. I remember when we were having heavy rains in 1993 here in socal, and people were finding Carp in runoff flowing down their streets.

SOUTHPAWSTICK
08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
If it wasn't for the people who practice "catch and release" there wouldn't be any fish in California lakes. And I can guarantee most people who fish Diamond Valley can't tell the difference between a largemouth and a smallmouth. Keeping smallmouth is against the rules.

TroutOnly
08-31-2009, 07:47 AM
BASS TASTE LIKE CRAP, KILL THE STRIPERS THEY ARE TEN TIMES BETTER IN TASTE,AND IF ANYBODY TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THEY ARE FULL OF B.S.,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,

Mondo21
08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
BASS TASTE LIKE CRAP, KILL THE STRIPERS THEY ARE TEN TIMES BETTER IN TASTE,AND IF ANYBODY TELLS YOU DIFFERENT THEY ARE FULL OF B.S.,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,

Ditto, T.O. I love the taste of Stripers! Cindy:Big Grin:

Stormcrow
08-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Hookup, good job on that post explaining something about Bass populations. You presaged what I was ready to write about Bass as well. They get stunted in many places, just like other species, and no, the Spotted Bass weren't fished out at Lake Perris; the Largemouths just outcompeted them. I read somewhere that Fishery Biologists have found that removing by fishing 1/3 of the Bass population annually improves the fishing. That means keeping some Bass, but not all of them. The DFG makes the rules the way they are, keeping the findings of fisheries experts in mind, to help maintain good fisheries.

LOL!!! Thats one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. Any REAL biologist will tell you that any population will stabilize itself at the ecosystem's carrying capacity or (k), just as it has in wildlife populations for MILLIONS OF YEARS. Nature has its own way of striking balance. Culling is not required by fishermen to maximize the health potential of the population. Any information that leads you to believe otherwise was misunderstood or made in complete error.

RELEASE ALL Largemouth, Smallmouth, and spotted BASS, its that simple.

Stormcrow
08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
By the way, did you guys ever think that the author of this post simply made it up to manufacture some drama? I mean comon, the guy looks like a Meagans Law poster boy as it is and he only has 2 posts!

If he did keep a few he didnt have to say it. It would have been better for him knowing he would be flamed to hell. Its all made up guys.

hookup90247
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Have you ever seen what happens to fish in a fish tank? Do they just grow as big as they want? NO! They will only grow as big as the space will allow...they will only grow as big as the food supply will support.

Now...I think it's pretty obvious that many...not all but many...people think the way I do...you can catch and release your fish but don't be so arrogant that you need to tell everyone else they HAVE to do the same! You can promote the concept of catch and release and hopefully everyone will catch on but to complain that someone took a legal limit of fish?

If you want to shout from the mountain top that you Catch and Release All your bass...feel free...just don't impose your ideals on someone who thought they were doing a good deed for someone in need.

Darin

THROWBACK RANGER
08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
eat shrimp not bass!!!!!

Natural Lefty
09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Hookup, I used to have fish tanks, and you are absolutely correct. In fact, sometimes I had fish such as Mollies or even some types of Cichlids which had babies in my aquariums, and the babies always wound up stunted. If you want large fish, their population must be fairly sparse. This is well-known to biologists. This principle can clearly be seen with Trout in high country lakes, or even with Crappie wherever they live. But it also holds true for other species.

Southpawstick, this discussion was in general. You are correct that all fisherpeople have to release Smallmouth at Diamond Valley. I have never caught a Smallmouth at Diamond Valley.

Stormcrow, I guess you thing the fishery biologists at the California DFG are rediculous. You probably think anything which does not agree with your prejudices is rediculous.

Natural Lefty
09-01-2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/about.html

Allright, Soutpawstick, Troutonly, Mondo, Stormcrow, Throwback Ranger, and others who know who you are, you asked for it, you got it. The above is a link to a major Bass fishing website which is run by your guys, i.e. Bass Fishing Professionals, guides and people whose living depends on Bass fishing. This is much like asking Exxon Mobil to assess the effects of the internal combustion engine on the environment. Despite this, they have had a change of heart in recent years, and based on research evidence from fisheries biologists, have gotten squarely behind the concept of selective harvest of their precious Bass. Note the first several articles under fisheries management. The first one is written by a fisheries biologist with a Ph.D. I just read the entire article.

drcatfish
09-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Here is my favorite recipe for fried bass! I prefer bass pulled of their spawning bed. When you catch them slit their throat and bleed, it makes for a better tasting fillet. Dip the bass in egg wash, coat with Italian bread crumbs, fry in "I cant believe it not butter" until golden brown. TASTES GREAT!! I have been using this recipe for years! CEE "CATCH EAT ENJOY" By law I can take a legal limit and eat it if I want to!!!

Stormcrow
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hookup, I used to have fish tanks, and you are absolutely correct. In fact, sometimes I had fish such as Mollies or even some types of Cichlids which had babies in my aquariums, and the babies always wound up stunted. If you want large fish, their population must be fairly sparse. This is well-known to biologists. This principle can clearly be seen with Trout in high country lakes, or even with Crappie wherever they live. But it also holds true for other species.

Southpawstick, this discussion was in general. You are correct that all fisherpeople have to release Smallmouth at Diamond Valley. I have never caught a Smallmouth at Diamond Valley.

Stormcrow, I guess you thing the fishery biologists at the California DFG are rediculous. You probably think anything which does not agree with your prejudices is rediculous.

Not at all, I AM a biologist and I am telling you that your opinion and reasoning on this matter is FLAWED. Stunted growth in a fishtank is moreso the result of GENETICS, and NOT the direct result of ecosystem capacity. For example, there are some species that continue to grow even when their physical space is confined.

I will agree, however, that population size does have something to do with it, what you fail to understand is that nature will bring the population BACK to carrying capacity ON ITS OWN.

All Largemouth and Smallmouth need to be released for OTHER reasons that perhaps you are not privy of.

There is no reason to personally accuse me of bieng superior to DFG biologists. I know many of them. When populations fall, which they are at places like PECK and LEGG and other places where poaching is a huge concern, they will change regulation to be catch and release ONLY and I will be here to shovel you a big heaping of: "I told you so"

Have a nice day

Stormcrow
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/about.html

Allright, Soutpawstick, Troutonly, Mondo, Stormcrow, Throwback Ranger, and others who know who you are, you asked for it, you got it. The above is a link to a major Bass fishing website which is run by your guys, i.e. Bass Fishing Professionals, guides and people whose living depends on Bass fishing. This is much like asking Exxon Mobil to assess the effects of the internal combustion engine on the environment. Despite this, they have had a change of heart in recent years, and based on research evidence from fisheries biologists, have gotten squarely behind the concept of selective harvest of their precious Bass. Note the first several articles under fisheries management. The first one is written by a fisheries biologist with a Ph.D. I just read the entire article.

I read it and I dont agree with it. Sorry.

Besides, these efforts are acute and meant for certain bodies of water. They certainly dont apply to the majority of cases. Im sorry to disappoint you.

hookup90247
09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone...now that we've determined that the only people commenting on this post are people who have thoughtful insight into this issue. We are no longer speaking in circles that include uneducated retarted commentary.

Here is my final perspective on this issue. Each body of water has its own issues. Peck and Legg have issues with people going in at night with GILL NETs harvesting all that passes by. Other bodies of water also have biological issues that make them candidates for reduced limits. The original comment made was that someone who took a legal limit of bass should not have done so. They should have released them. That at some point may need to be considered if the population of bass in the western states sees a significant decline. However, I've been fishing the Southern California lakes for more than 25 years now and it isn't any easier or harder to catch bass now as it was then. If someone catches a few and takes them home and ENJOYS them, let them. Don't burst their bubble by telling them that they should have thrown them back...we aren't talking abortion here!

The very important fact is that the more we promote fishing whether in a lake, a stream, or in the ocean, the better off we will all be. Our rights as outdoorsmen and women are being threatened and we don't need to be bickering about someone eating a few bass. If any of you are truly in the biology field and you are capable of presenting facts as to the health of our fresh and salt fisheries, I would hope that you would make your voice heard so we don't continue to lose our opportunities to fish.

Let's stop arguing the biological impact of 5 dead and eaten bass...its done...hopefully everyone will continue to embrace catch and release...but if you want to take some home and fry them up...then knock yourselves out. No one has the right to tell you not to.

Darin

Stormcrow
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I see where you are going with this Darren. And I agree, If you look back, one of my posts suggests the author made up the thread just to manufacture this drama.

I was not commenting in this particular guy who kept a DVL limit because I personally think it is a hoax post. I was commenting on the reasoning for selective culling.

smokehound
09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
For the record, fish Do outgrow tanks. The only thing that stunts a fishes growth is lack of proper nutrition, or genetic/spinal damage.

When overcrowding stunts the fish, its because they arent getting enough to eat.

Look at the tiny trout in isolated streams and pools in the mountains. They have to fight each other for food. This is why you will see one nice 20 incher, and the rest all around 6 inches.

Sparky70
09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
If a person has a fishing license (expensive) they are entitled to take a limit of whatever they catch, C/R for bass is recommened, but if they want to eat 1 so be it.

fishindude420
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
i dont see nothing wrong with taking a couple bass now and then. If you can though take all the little ones that barely keep. selective harvest keeps are big bass fishery going :)

lurk 182
09-08-2009, 10:08 AM
i dont see nothing wrong with taking a couple bass now and then. If you can though take all the little ones that barely keep. selective harvest keeps are big bass fishery going :)

that's true, but you don't harvest five pounders. check out Pond Boss. somebody get this guy a u-rig so he can help us eat our way out of our striper problem. i want DVL striper free by the time we get that new ramp done, February is it?

fishindude420
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
that's true, but you don't harvest five pounders. check out Pond Boss. somebody get this guy a u-rig so he can help us eat our way out of our striper problem. i want DVL striper free by the time we get that new ramp done, February is it?

thats why i said "selective harvest" meaning take the small ones and let the big ones go

Liteliner
09-13-2009, 06:40 AM
So all I gotta do to get 40+ replies is kill a freakin bass...:EyePop: So be it..... :LOL::LOL::LOL: Nice job on the fish. Please release big bass....

eddiefishtaco
09-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Let me put it this way...

Bass are toys!

do not eat our toys

wanna help your neighbors?
give them cash
instead of renting a boat

:Wink:
my 2 pesos

The Angler
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Let me put it this way...

Bass are toys!

do not eat our toys

wanna help your neighbors?
give them cash
instead of renting a boat

:Wink:
my 2 pesos

Good Point

seal
09-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry Taco and others, bass are food, or could be used as food. My bet is fishing was started many years ago for one purpose, food. Fishing is no different than hunting, just using a different tool. In recent years a "sport" was developed, it is called "Catch and Release" bass fishing. The bass fisherman really liked this sport and spent tons of money on fancy boats and tackle and decided they liked they're sport so much that they would make new rules that would aply to all, C&R. If some of the fishing population decided they didn't want to participate in this sport and would rather participate in fishing for food some of the C&R crowd would try and shame or bully them into coming over to the C&R side. Some decided a different approach would work, education as to the limits of the LMB fishery.

The fisherman that keep bass within the legal limits are not necessarily bad and the guys that are trying to educate people in the hopes of getting more to C&R are pretty ok by me also. Those that have decided the best way to handle the situation is by intimidating others or being a bully will always be wrong in my book. That includes some people I know and think are pretty good guys.

I really think it's a shame that if everytime someone comes on this board or other boards and innocently tells the story of a good day out on the water and that they brought some LMB meat home that they are going to get attacked. If you don't like it don't respond to the thread unless you can do it in a civilized manner and not jack a guys thread with the continuing war over keeping legally caught bass.

I have no idea whether this thread has been posted honestly or not, but to challenge him because he is new or to beat him up because he may not of known better about the unwritten no keep bass rule just doesn't do anybody any good. Maybe he just didn't care about the RULE. Has anybody actually changed their minds after reading one of the many threads on this subject? I would think just asking them to C&R should be enough.

I have only kept one bass and wanted to do so to see what all the fuss was about. I agree the taste sucks, tell them about how good stripers taste and to have at um.

Natural Lefty
09-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I think the distinction between viewing fish as "toys" versus viewing fish as a resource creates a huge rift between fisherpeople. People with the former attitude want to catch the same fish over and over again while practicing their skills, while people with the latter attitude may choose to keep some as a food resource, and when they have caught enough, will leave them alone.

Frankly, I view fish as a resource, definitely not toys. They could be pets, but not toys, as far as I am concerned. If you want toys, you should go the the store and buy something inanimate, instead of giving fish a sore lip. There is a mortality rate, even with Bass -- or fish of any other species -- that are caught and released.

hookup90247
09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Natural Lefty...Bravo...

My guess is that most of the people are "young" fishermen and don't understand that keeping a few fish to eat...or give to people in need...is ok. I'll even bet that they think BASS has always had a mandatory catch and release rule in place? If they would look up some of the first organized BASS tournaments, they will find big bass hanging from their mouths on wood stakes! Like I've mentioned in the past, catch and release is an honorable way to fish. Letting the bass go is good. However...if the lake loses 5 bass here and there...it won't hurt.

I think it's ignorant for people to comment on the fact that this fisherman spent money on a rental boat and should have given the neighbors his boat rental money? Is that because if they plan to bring home a few bass then they shouldn't ever have the opportunity to hook one? You idiots need to use the brains that you were given and think before you speak...er...type. We are all fishermen here. We all love to catch fish. Bringing the fish home for the neighbors is the byproduct of participating in a sport that you and they enjoy.

I also think you guys need to realize that our original poster actually mentioned that they did in fact release those fish that were not of legal size. I believe that they only took one limit between the two of them. You guys that think they're hurting the population of bass in Diamond Valley need to learn more about the history of bass fishing and in particular about catch and release. Did you guys realize that every time you bounce a bass on the floor of your bass boat, you are endangering it's life? Even if you plan to let it go, it may just sink out and die? Is that better than taking it home? Do you guys lip land every bass? If not...why not? Is landing the bass and bouncing it off the boat more important than their health? Even landing nets are bad for the bass...did you know that? The only sure way to ensure that the bass is going to live is to not fish for it at all.

Here is my last thought....If you've made the rediculous statement that the guy that took the fish home should have not even gone fishing and should have given the money for the boat rental to the neighbors...try this one on for size...Maybe the next time you think you want to go catch some bass...don't spend your money...save it...don't spend the time...do something else...avoid fishing and hooking any fish at all...that will guarantee that ALL the fish that you would have caught are free to fight some other day! If you think that's stupid...then you're the man in the mirror and you need to think before you make a comment about someone else's post.

Good Luck

Natural Lefty
09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Hookup, I mutually reciprocate your Bravo! :Smile:

I thought someone needed to mention the difference between the toy attitude and the resource attitude toward fishing, plus, the evidence that even catch and release results in some fish dying. That also points out the need for good and quick fish release technique.