PDA

View Full Version : NPH Monday 8/17/09

icekrusher04
08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, hi all!!
Hit up the harbor moday morning bright and early with my son, his girlfriend and my son-in-law. Rented a skiff from Davy's and off we went. My sons girlfriend is a first timer on ocean water (yikes...the harbor!!!!). We head out to the main channel and start throwing swimbaits and BAM!!! Son-in-law pulls in a hefty Calico... Bam!!, I hook into a short Halibut...Bam!!, girlfriend hooks a nice spotty and is just freaking out about her first "OCEAN" fish. Our rods were like this for about two hours then things slowed down a bit so we tried going up the harbor and caught some smallies. After a quick pit stop so son can go back to truck and get a reel that works (baitcaster + son = Hilarious backlash highlite reel!!!) we head back out to the main channel and start to fish...son-in-law again gets wacked by a nice spotty, then me, then son, then nada. We head over near the bait barge and nada, then son hits on a huge jack smelt. We drift for a while throwing the big hammers and then 1st timer says "I think I am stuck on something....Feels like seaweed"....Seaweed turns out to be a 24" legal Halibut...We can't believe it as non of us has ever caught a legal before.....Figures!!!! Only a first timer.....Oh well the days totals were as follows:
10 Spotties
1 short Halibut
1 legal Halibut
1 Jack Smelt
1 Calico Bass
1 Rock fish...species unknown.

Any way, it was a good day on the water as usual....."Any day on the water is a good day!!"
.....................ICE

Poxy Boggards
08-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Way to slay out there! Nice read.